Southdown sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly was not a Fitasc shoot pillared for being ridiculously hard when being won with a 79/100 at Southdown ? did this affect the course setters view on what people wanted to actually shoot ? I did not shoot the GB fitasc here so wont comment but if there were many smiling faces after it, this could then be seen as a reason for the targets presented today

I did shoot it today and posted a 90 ...did I leave feeling I shot well ? no !! I fell poorly to the Rabbits at the end of the layout RH side hard to see for me, few no birds mentally did a job on me resulting in silly misses, the simmo pair second std down on RH side orange/yellow really smoked the first pair , shooting orange first, why the next pair crossed over as they came out resulting in pair lost ,was explained to me by the scorer as the wind factor leaves me at a total loss! broke me concentration wise and I think I may have let another two go here. :fie:  

so a big score was on,as the multitude of 90's show, personally thought as it was to select the best in England, and no disrespect to any of the high scores, it did lack some venom, and should it not be a upgrade from the weekly norm ?

Wow , was going to shoot this 2moro ! Not sure my 2 1/2 drive and £41 is the best use of my time and money ! Weston wood and Northampton it is then ... ;-)

Going to shoot this tomorrow...getting a bit worried if I don't shoot at least an 85 I will have let myself down... need 69 or more to win a bounty off Chipper, and 73 to get one off Clynt...

I decided to shoot an England Selection Shoot as a bit of a test for myself to see if I have made any progress, so will be very interested to see how I get on and how I compare to others..

Fixed choke gun though so bit disappointed no long rangey stuff...but at least I have my excuse lined up already...

Don't worry I shot it with my fixed choke 3/4 & full zoli trap gun with 28g 9's, let's just say when your on them they are balls of dust!! The weather will be against you tomorrow if the forecast is right!

Going to shoot this tomorrow...getting a bit worried if I don't shoot at least an 85 I will have let myself down... need 69 or more to win a bounty off Chipper, and 73 to get one off Clynt...

I decided to shoot an England Selection Shoot as a bit of a test for myself to see if I have made any progress, so will be very interested to see how I get on and how I compare to others..

Fixed choke gun though so bit disappointed no long rangey stuff...but at least I have my excuse lined up already...
save your money ! Go to Weston Wood then Garlands ....

I am from Yorkshire....the weather will be just like I am used to....

And travelling from the IOW needs careful planning so will stick with Plan A, haven't shot Southdown for ages and I am sure I will enjoy it whatever...I am not that good that targets matter to me...I am happy to hit anything that is thrown up in front of me....all part of me learning this game...when I hit 100 I will start getting more fussy...and maybe open my chokes out...Just a bit mind you....

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot your horn as you drive past :)

have a good one

We'll expect your full report and analysis when you get back,

Mart x

Well I shot this yesterday and I didn't think it was that bad. Sure I've shot harder Southdown layouts but you've still got to hit them. I WAS happy with my score but now it's been labelled as boring and easy I'm thoroughly disappointed!

Agreed £41 is a bit of a stinger but one assumes that's from a doubled up levy for an intercounties shoot as well as an England selection shoot?

99/100 is still a great score on any layout in my opinion. Easy or not anyone turning up today has got to start the course thinking they've got to straight it to win or miss very few if contending for an England badge which adds a bit of pressure to the easy speed and angles on offer!

I've been away from Clay shooting for 25years & asked the question out of interest. We always used to say easy clays are easy to miss as you get complacent & the top shots will always come out on top anyway.
Best quote of the week Holly plain and simple and bang on the money! :nyam:

Well,I shot this today. I'm guessing today's wind made the course a bit tougher. I thought it was a fair shoot,plenty of places you could miss the odd one - I've certainly shot easier courses. Didn't feel I was quite there consistency wise today,missing the odd one randomly. Fairly happy with an 86 though. It would be interesting if you were able to see the scores from each day in their entirety,to compare.

Personally found it far too steady for a team selection, even in the wind I felt my 96 was 2 short.

Lots of breakdowns/stoppages and some very iffy reffing made it a bad shout all round.

Very friendly staff but for me I feel a very disappointing shoot.

Seen some of the scores posted, 

wow, some extremely good scores returned

congrats to everyone who participated

Mart  

Latest posts

Back