Southdown sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crocket81

Shot the se region sporting today and felt quite let down with the quality of the targets and the rather expensive entry price of £41, I haven't shot Southdown for many years due to changing to trap shooting and know it under new management but the targets are so tame and right on the end of your barrel, where have then 60 yard rabbits gone, and the screaming crossers off a high tower? Other than that it was run very well with no hold ups at all!

You should have shot FITASC at Hickstead instead. The one rabbit was about 50 yards out and the rest of the clays were challenging. 50+ shooters over 4 layouts and only one 25/25 scored.

A damned good day!

Shot the se region sporting today and felt quite let down with the quality of the targets and the rather expensive entry price of £41, I haven't shot Southdown for many years due to changing to trap shooting and know it under new management but the targets are so tame and right on the end of your barrel, where have then 60 yard rabbits gone, and the screaming crossers off a high tower? Other than that it was run very well with no hold ups at all!
Did you or anyone else manage 100/100 ?

I was there but saw it completely differently :dontknow:  there was only one bird on a together pair stand that some allowed to come right in before they shot it which could be described as on the end of the barrel, the rest were hardly close and most had a lot of speed or angle and I felt my 81 was at least 5-6 shy of my alert state. Just out of interest what was your final score ?

ps. I have posted a thread on the review section and agree £41 is past funny.

I was there but saw it completely differently :dontknow:  there was only one bird on a together pair stand that some allowed to come right in before they shot it which could be described as on the end of the barrel, the rest were hardly close and most had a lot of speed or angle and I felt my 81 was at least 5-6 shy of my alert state. Just out of interest what was your final score ?
Agreed. I was  there in the morning as my lad was shooting it and it seemed to be a good shoot.  Stand 2, second from the bottom, was catching a lot of people out.  Some very experienced shots were losing 3 or more points (out of 3 pairs) on that one stand. 

While it was busy, there was no hold ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot this 2day shot a steady 94. As was said earlier a far cry off Southdown of old. 99 was leading when we left rumour has it a 100 straight was put in!!

Shot this 2day shot a steady 94. As was said earlier a far cry off Southdown of old. 99 was leading when we left rumour has it a 100 straight was put in!!
99 is fantastic shooting by any standards even on simple targets, must say I saw plenty of people missing loads everywhere so will wait and see the full scores but doubt this will go down as an easy shoot.

I shot an 86, that's why I said I felt it was easy because I wouldn't normally shoot that well there, just thought it might be harder due to being a selection shoot

I've been away from Clay shooting for 25years & asked the question out of interest. We always used to say easy clays are easy to miss as you get complacent & the top shots will always come out on top anyway.

I shot an 86, that's why I said I felt it was easy because I wouldn't normally shoot that well there, just thought it might be harder due to being a selection shoot
Well shot first off, :)   secondly I personally just don't get all dissing of targets which are too close, too easy and too boring when only less than a handful can ever shoot over 95 ?!!!!!!! 

The vast majority at this or any other shoot will get less than 80, closer to 70 if truth be told so what do we do ? Setting up targets that the top 20 in the country will struggle to get 90 is not going to cater for the core market is it ?

I've been away from Clay shooting for 25years & asked the question out of interest. We always used to say easy clays are easy to miss as you get complacent & the top shots will always come out on top anyway.
Absolutely, the way to high scores is to not miss easy birds or ones that are within your capability, today I had a few misses on birds I couldn't hit but most were misses on ones that I should hit !

all the people all the time" you know the rest!  referring to target difficulty,, not prices.

Pls don't think I'm dissing the shoot at all because I really did enjoy it, but where does £41 come from????
It's to do with the £24k they've spent on asphalting the track, oh wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but shot it today and had a lot of no birds (guess unlucky) but for a England Qualifier that's just not good enough, regardless of score shorly there has to be some testing targets on a layout where some chokes needed for testing target, this shouldn't be where quality shots turn it into a skeet shoot !! I counted 37 shooting over 91 92 ??? Bloody boaring

Shot this and one must say what a load of uninspiring lazy rubbish, if that's the quality of targets for a England qualifier then you can have my share of it !!! I have shot Southdown a few times before they used put some nice testing targets on the banks where you had choke up and quality shells ! Cartridge manufactures don't spend all that time and money on black golds etc to shoot utter crap at 20yrds !!! And they varried like a bag of allsorts, sorry but not worth the 3hr journey !!!!!!!!!!! 99 is a great score at any shoot but realistically with god knows how many with 93 and above it makes the sport a laughing joke ! Me I'm of to shoot some ABT loads more entertaining than shooting 90% of a England qualifier with skeet skeet & 9's great test of the best shots in England 'NOT'

Back