Something with...a bit more range . . .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeet UK

Soooo...

What do people suggest for a cartridge, for those extra long range shots, where rules permit (non CPSA)?

I'm thinking Black Gold 6's...but if you know of something equally hard hitting, even if it is 28g 6.5's...let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'm not at all convinced that anything 6.5 will be hard hitting as such. Centre almost anything with a fast 7.5 or 8 inside 40 yards through 3/4 and it will either smoke, pulverise or turn to vapour, reason being the multiple hits.

Once you push the distance out much further there comes a point where 6.5 will break what a 7.5 won't but clearly at the expense of fewer hits so breaks won't look as crushing as all that. 

Honestly, I'm not at all convinced that anything 6.5 will be hard hitting as such. Centre almost anything with a fast 7.5 or 8 inside 40 yards through 3/4 and it will either smoke, pulverise or turn to vapour, reason being the multiple hits.

Once you push the distance out much further there comes a point where 6.5 will break what a 7.5 won't but clearly at the expense of fewer hits so breaks won't look as crushing as all that. 
Yep, I'm looking at something with sufficient retained energy and low crush factor, at extended distance...just in case I'm lucky enough get 1 pellet on it!  For possible stands with a long...looong target.

Like I said, 30g of Black Gold 6's was the plan...but that is a plan based on limited knowledge :)

Like I said, 30g of Black Gold 6's was the plan...but that is a plan based on limited knowledge :)
28g of 6.5's is the max allowed under CPSA registered for ESP/Fitasc and most grounds tend to advocate that for non reg as well. Only a few days ago I had a few 6.5's given to me on a practice round and although they broke the clays perfectly OK I wouldn't say they pulverise better. 

I have pole axed some very distant rabbits with 7.5's and 3/4 although there have been times where I have used a few 7's too but up in the air I'd take my chances with fast shells and smaller shot.

28g of 6.5's is the max allowed under CPSA registered for ESP/Fitasc and most grounds tend to advocate that for non reg as well. Only a few days ago I had a few 6.5's given to me on a practice round and although they broke the clays perfectly OK I wouldn't say they pulverise better. 

I have pole axed some very distant rabbits with 7.5's and 3/4 although there have been times where I have used a few 7's too but up in the air I'd take my chances with fast shells and smaller shot.
Can you suggest a cartridge in 28g 6.5?  I don't think they do a Black Gold in that...I think they do a pigeon cartridge in it though.

Or perhaps, just BG in 7.5 flavour?  It's the extra bit of oomph and hard shot, that I am interested in...

Clever T3 28gms 7.5 (true 7) will do the job very nicely and it won't put your shoulder out either. Lovely shells!

Clever T3 28gms 7.5 (true 7) will do the job very nicely and it won't put your shoulder out either. Lovely shells!
It's a bit hard to get Clever, where I am in Kent, unfortunately.  T3 is the Grand Italia isn't it...very nice. :)

I'm just thinking about having a few "special" shells, just for long targets, to have a better chance of a lucky strike, doing the business.

Can you suggest a cartridge in 28g 6.5?  I don't think they do a Black Gold in that...I think they do a pigeon cartridge in it though.

Or perhaps, just BG in 7.5 flavour?  It's the extra bit of oomph and hard shot, that I am interested in...
You can get black gold 6.5s and express supreme 6.5s I use either of these on rabbit clays.

I have had good breaks with Eley Superb and World Cup 7's, have used a good few on pigeon too, I couldn't tell or choose between the two cept perhaps the recoil being more noticeable with the World Cups.

Used 32gm 6's black gold on a few long ranged stuff at the essex masters last year Neville Jay usually has them on the day and despite what anyone tells you they are a serious shell at range.   

Used 32gm 6's black gold on a few long ranged stuff at the essex masters last year Neville Jay usually has them on the day and despite what anyone tells you they are a serious shell at range.   

whats the limit on shot size and weight?  can't find it on their web site?

And now we know why I want them :)

My thinking is; anything at extreme range, I have little experience of...so I am happy to forgo pellet count, for retained energy, should I get a lucky strike.

Are you shooting it this year Shaun?  It is my (and Sibaldib's) first time ;)

And now we know why I want them :)

My thinking is; anything at extreme range, I have little experience of...so I am happy to forgo pellet count, for retained energy, should I get a lucky strike.

Are you shooting it this year Shaun?  It is my (and Sibaldib's) first time ;)
Shooting sunday 9.45 really enjoy it good fun and very light hearted great variety of targets to suit all classes.

It used to be no limit someone shot the whole thing with 36g Buffalo's a few years ago.
More shot doesn't help,  :pardon:    :secret:  we all know it's all about putting it in the right place. 

ps. He only went and straighted it.  :lol:   :lol:

Latest posts

Back