Silly mistakes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There could be so many factors in this, but you get your over-thinkers and under-thinkers!

The "over-thinker" is thinking too much on the perfect shot, rather than letting the mechanics and prep do the job.  They will usually lose their timing both in preparation and in the shot - rushing to close the stand, trying to hold onto the good score-run in that stand, or becoming too slow and deliberate, making sure.  But as the stand goes on they start to think about the "what-if"s. So they do something different - timing and focus. The lose control and consistency.

The "under-thinker" starts to take the stand for granted.  They work hard on planning for the first, they still have interest in the 2nd and then drop something in the 3rd.  This gives them a wake-up kick and then they might hit something in the 4th (or panic and miss!) This type of shooter usually likes the more challenging targets as they make them work, helping keep their focus.  They might also shoot FITASC better than Sporting for this reason.

And then you get the lucky "no-thinkers"... :wink:

My suggestion would be to try and focus on the flow and timing of any pre-shot you might have devised; however simple or complex.  It should be so familiar from all the practice, that it is like you can feel a rhythm to it.  A partial remedy could be to focus on that rhythm.  Yes, you might have the thought of "oh, I could straight this". That's fine.  But your focus is then on feeling the familiar flow. Any pre-shot should have this rhythm, otherwise you might have the steps, but you could rush and not do it properly, or take too long and open the door to a load of thoughts.

If you shoot with a different rhythm in a pair, you can only expect a different outcome.

For some reason it made me think of this - ha ha...

Your ego gets involved emotionally i.e. doubt, fear, complacency, hope, expectation, etc. and takes over the shot.

Don't let the desire to break the target override the need to watch the target!

Your ego gets involved emotionally i.e. doubt, fear, complacency, hope, expectation, etc. and takes over the shot.

Don't let the desire to break the target override the need to watch the target!
I like this, can I borrow it sometime:)

Back