Should we all shoot 24g cartridges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting an MK60 with a sold but pad. And I guess my gun mount is not always perfect 
I’ve got a MK 60 20gauge away with BK Webster for a bit of a mod in terms of  reducing stock drop and adding cast ( going up for it tomorrow )  . I shot it a few times before it went in .  It’s only a 7lb gun  , still has the plastic butt . With 21 gm CT clay cartridges it feels like you’ve loaded party poppers . Up it to 24 gm CT and it’s perfectly sweet , and if it ever gets an outing on clays that’s what I’ll use .  Even with 28gm High Pheasant Supreme it’s not unpleasant at all  . 

I find out of the box Miroku sporting guns a bit low in the stock ,  with them properly shouldered  and my cheek firmly on the stock I’m not seeing  much other than the back of the action. If you’re the same you might have been lifting your head and compromising the mount giving credence to the poor fit the guys above mention. 

I’ve got a MK 60 20gauge away with BK Webster for a bit of a mod in terms of  reducing stock drop and adding cast ( going up for it tomorrow )  . I shot it a few times before it went in .  It’s only a 7lb gun  , still has the plastic butt . With 21 gm CT clay cartridges it feels like you’ve loaded party poppers . Up it to 24 gm CT and it’s perfectly sweet , and if it ever gets an outing on clays that’s what I’ll use .  Even with 28gm High Pheasant Supreme it’s not unpleasant at all  . 

I find out of the box Miroku sporting guns a bit low in the stock ,  with them properly shouldered  and my cheek firmly on the stock I’m not seeing  much other than the back of the action. If you’re the same you might have been lifting your head and compromising the mount giving credence to the poor fit the guys above mention. 
No, out of the box as you call it I see a perfect snowman figure the of 8. Shoots where I look, just need to improve my mount consistency and read the clay travel better! 🙄

After all the replies and debate about this that and the other, i think the answer the op is looking for is a 'NO' 😁

Over the last few months of shooting I have tried multiple shells... I haven't noticed a massive difference in recoil or 'kill' rate. from hull compx 21g to other 28g carts.

I seem to be settling on Hull Superfasts - 27g 7.5's 1500fps - The price is right I think.

I do believe so, but.... Typically I can't find the same page that had that info on it . 😂 

Did a bit more digging... Here's a couple of Web pages that give velocity. 

Screenshot_20190706-144506.png

Screenshot_20190706-144551.png

I don't know where sells them for 156 a 1000, but I'm paying 200+

Last edited by a moderator:
Crawfords in Scunthorpe sell superfasts for £48 per 250. Seems I stumbled on a good price with my first cartridge purchase with the cert.

Very good chap. The price im paying is with club membership discount too. I save about £45 on the 1000 - so hate to think they can charge 250 a 1000 for them....

Horne Clay Club were doing them for £192/1000 a couple of weeks ago - no increase for 500 (plastic wad)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...

I usually buy 500 plastic and 500 fibre as I mainly shoot at 2 grounds and one is fibre only.

fibre wad x500 - £125 - £20.01(membership discount)

Plastic wad x500 - £120 - £24.05(membership discount)

Ill ask next time why they are £192 elsewhere and £240-£250 (not including membership discount) at my place...

Here’s a generalisation for you Adam : at any decent volume retailer , when bought by the thousand,  all  brands of “club shooter” cartridges are  £185 - £ 200 -ish  per 1000 . There isn’t a reason to pay anymore . For £250 I can buy White Gold etc .

.My own membership deal gets me 5000 rates on 1000 lots of certain more expensive competition or game  cartridges  which might save me £3-£5 . 

Here’s a generalisation for you Adam : at any decent volume retailer , when bought by the thousand,  all  brands of “club shooter” cartridges are  £185 - £ 200 -ish  per 1000 . There isn’t a reason to pay anymore . For £250 I can buy White Gold etc .

.My own membership deal gets me 5000 rates on 1000 lots of certain more expensive competition or game  cartridges  which might save me £3-£5 . 
where I am a member, they have nothing south of 200+ I have asked, at the end of the day for me its just a bit of fun on my day off, im not into competitions... so I see no reason to spend big money on the cartridges, the clays are dear enough.. especially when im getting a dozen+ dudds each time I go.. I have been advised to take pad n pen so I can note down where they are so they can be taken care of.. 

Here are their prices from 23rd June, Superfast a bit faint 3rd from bottom

View attachment 7778
Id have them in a jiffy, but the 140 mile round trip makes it none worth while .

Back