Shotgun Certificate Merseyside (Grant)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AT06

Hi all,

Sent my forms off for Shotgun Grant on 1st  September. Had my interview on 26th October and all went fine, cabinet already fitted, and told no issues and to await my certificate in the post. It’s now been just over 4 weeks since interview and no sign of my certificate.

I gave them a chase on the phone and was basically told it’s “in a pile waiting to be dealt with in date order”. Asked how long it would be and they refused to give any indication at all.

Has anyone else had experience recently with how quick Merseyside is both in total, and after interview, until the certificate arrives in the post? Nearly been 3 months now which just seems a while for a force with some of the lowest numbers of certificates in the country, yet 4 members of staff covering things.

P.S. I’ve not a single conviction or even speeding fine, and no medical or mental issues to speak of, so that isn’t delaying anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
My renewal took 3 months in total, one of the lads I shoot with,  waited nearly 6 months for a grant.  I was fortunate in as much as my local FEO,  was pretty much up to speed with his visits, the problem is,  he has just retired and is NOT being replaced. I have spoken to a chap from St. Helens and he is doing his own and the retired lads' enquiries.  You may have a bit of a wait. Maybe use the waiting time to book a couple of lessons at a local ground,  then try as many different guns as possible to prepare for when you come to buy your own gun. The two local grounds that I use both do lessons and have 'Club' guns that can be rented. At least the 'waiting time' can be well spent.

My renewal took 3 months in total, one of the lads I shoot with,  waited nearly 6 months for a grant.  I was fortunate in as much as my local FEO,  was pretty much up to speed with his visits, the problem is,  he has just retired and is NOT being replaced. I have spoken to a chap from St. Helens and he is doing his own and the retired lads' enquiries.  You may have a bit of a wait. Maybe use the waiting time to book a couple of lessons at a local ground,  then try as many different guns as possible to prepare for when you come to buy your own gun. The two local grounds that I use both do lessons and have 'Club' guns that can be rented. At least the 'waiting time' can be well spent.
6 months, ouch! Don’t like the sound of waiting another 3 months. I wonder what takes so long? When I spoke to them on the phone they made it out that all was in order and it was simply waiting to be reviewed by a manager.

Guess like most things in public office though is that everything takes a lot longer than it should due to inefficient porcesses and how difficult it is for anyone to suggest or implement improvements.

I’ve had 5 lessons so far but at £40 a pop for 50 clays they aren’t cheap. To be fair to them they also said I’m getting to the point in really need my own gun so I can practice more often and I will get more out of the lessons that way.

I’m just impatient I guess! Got a deposit on my first gun at McAvoys, so I’m just itching to get going on my own now. 

I'm up in Aberdeenshire and it took about 3-4 months in total.  I know what you mean about lessons being expensive and I was the same, after a few you need to get out by yourself and get practicing what they teach in the lessons, there is nothing like just getting that shot count up for improving.  I also found that as soon as I had my own gun I was going much more often because I didn't have to commit to lesson, I could just go whenever was convenient for me so I actually spend more now than when I had lessons.

Just got mine this week of Merseyside 7 months 
Wow, that’s a long wait! Ridiculous really, even considering the cuts it should never take over half a year to process.

Out of interest, how long until you had your interview from posting off your application, and then how long after interview until the certificate arrived?

About 4 months for the interview and 3 months for the grant I did ring them not sure it did me any good the reason they gave me for taking so long was staff shortage and renewing existing licence’s

About 4 months for the interview and 3 months for the grant I did ring them not sure it did me any good the reason they gave me for taking so long was staff shortage and renewing existing licence’s
Well, I can vouch for the Staff shortages. An ex FEO,  who attends the local ground,  has and will NOT,  be replaced. 

Well, I can vouch for the Staff shortages. An ex FEO,  who attends the local ground,  has and will NOT,  be replaced. 
Spoke to Janet Jones the manager a few days ago. She said it’s a 6 month wait at the minute, so I will likely only get my certificate around February-March time next year. Bummer, but appreciate they are busy and could do with more staff so it’s not like they are intentionally letting it take this long.

Spoke to Janet Jones the manager a few days ago. She said it’s a 6 month wait at the minute, so I will likely only get my certificate around February-March time next year. Bummer, but appreciate they are busy and could do with more staff so it’s not like they are intentionally letting it take this long.
I did say that, anyway the invitation to join us and use one of our guns still stands, PM me if you are interested.

Back