Shot pattern

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEM62

Gents,

I am about three months into shooting and I'm getting worse!  At my second give it a go session at a DTL range I managed to hit 14 clays.  I shot twice last week and hit less than  6 or 7. 

A couple of guys at the range suggested that I was working too hard at it and that I need to develop my own style.  Now that may be sound advice as we all deal with information overload when trying a new sport and end up over thinking it.  The problem I have is that I cannot tell what I am doing different between those I hit and those I miss - it feels the same to me.  There are, of course, those shots where you can see that you are well off but, these aside I can't see what I am doing different. 

One thing that occurred to me was that it might be useful for me to actually use a pattern plate as I don't know where the shot going relative to my aim (or my pointing as it may be with a shotgun)  Is there anywhere is the West London / Surrey area that I can go and do that?  Or has anyone any other suggestions?     

You can go and pattern your gun at any decent shooting ground. Usually they will want to sell you a gun fitting session, which can be costly. Tbh, it will only partially answer your problem, because in DTL, you are moving and this movement is going to be 90% of the cause of where you are putting the shot. You think you are shooting AT the target, but if you are moving quickly, or stopping, the shot will be above, or below, the target. I would advise simply experimenting. Get a good controlled gun movement and start by trying to miss a foot under the clay. Then move upwards. You will find your point, but keep the movement speed the same every time.

Gents,

I am about three months into shooting and I'm getting worse!  At my second give it a go session at a DTL range I managed to hit 14 clays.  I shot twice last week and hit less than  6 or 7. 

A couple of guys at the range suggested that I was working too hard at it and that I need to develop my own style.  Now that may be sound advice as we all deal with information overload when trying a new sport and end up over thinking it.  The problem I have is that I cannot tell what I am doing different between those I hit and those I miss - it feels the same to me.  There are, of course, those shots where you can see that you are well off but, these aside I can't see what I am doing different. 

One thing that occurred to me was that it might be useful for me to actually use a pattern plate as I don't know where the shot going relative to my aim (or my pointing as it may be with a shotgun)  Is there anywhere is the West London / Surrey area that I can go and do that?  Or has anyone any other suggestions?     
To be honest, don't try to sort it by yourself! Go and see a coach and let him see you shoot. He can then advise on ways to reslove the issues. AC Sporting Targets used to have instructors, not sure if they still do, you could also try a lesson at West London Shooting School, A1 Shooting Ground or Holland & Holland Shooting School. Just knowing where the shot goes is only part of the story, there is much more to it than that I'm afraid! 

It's only DTL! Ha ha. Nothing more than "hit the spot" involved. Oh.. That and the ability to stay awake of course. :)

It's only DTL! Ha ha. Nothing more than "hit the spot" involved. Oh.. That and the ability to stay awake of course. :)
Just what I would expect from a flippin hedge monkey Will !!!  :laugh:  Anyway, how's it going with the Blaser? Do you think you may stay with it?

Thanks for the responses so far. 

It's easy for me to go DTL as I can just rock up at NCSC and shoot.  I have a better strike rate (and much more fun) on the occasions that I have been to a sporting ground but for that you need a shooting buddy and I don't have any - other than a couple of guys that shoot at the A1 shooting ground once a month.  

I have had some coaching to get me started.  This was also at a sporting ground (Southdown Gun Club) and on the day I had fewer issues than I have now :-(   

All joking apart, of course a coach is the answer. I did answer on the basis that the OP was looking for a free tip from a forum. My answer is a basic thing to try. A coach would be able to tell him "why and how", but a bit of self experimentation is fun too.

The NCSC I think used to have a coach or two, you could have a word with them. It may also help if you were to decide what it is that you want to shoot, trap or sporting. Yes they both involve clays and shotguns, but many cannot shoot both trap and sporting, one or both will often suffer!

Just what I would expect from a flippin hedge monkey Will !!!  :laugh:  Anyway, how's it going with the Blaser? Do you think you may stay with it?
Thread Hijack:  I suppose its about developing the shooting, so just about allowed..

Having removed some more balance weights (and done this gradually over several shoots) I now have a gun that I really like. Very good 75 practice at AC sporting on Friday. 68/75 on mostly tricky stuff. It is now probably damn similar to my Perazzi!! I misread two targets badly on Sunday, over-leading by a chunk, which is zip all to do with the gun. Otherwise I would have had a pretty decent score. Lots of fiddly stuff got dusted well. It feels rather like I have a useful friend in my hands again (no rude pun intended).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Hijack: :0 i suppose its about developing the shooting, so just about allowed..

Having removed some more balance weights (and done this gradually over several shoots) I now have a gun that I really like. Very good 75 practice at AC sporting on Friday. 68/75 on mostly tricky stuff. It is now probably damn similar to my Perazzi!! I misread two targets badly on Sunday, over-leading by a chunk, which is zip all to do with the gun. Otherwise I would have had a pretty decent score. Lots of fiddly stuff got dusted well. It feels rather like I have a useful friend in my hands again (no rude pun intended).
Well mate, that all sounds very positive! Let's hope the progress continues then!  :thumbsu:

Latest posts

Back