Shooting without sgc

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can walk into a shop and buy , for the sake of argument , 5000 cartridges by showing my SGC  .  I can then  decide to go to the pub and ask my grandson who doesn’t have a SGC to  pop them in his car  drive them home for me and put them in the garage  , no offence committed . My grandson then tells me he is going clay shooting with a friend who holds a SGC , so I tell him to keep a thousand shells for whenever he goes . He takes them to his Mum’s place and keeps them under the bed , no offence is committed . 

A  non SGC holder shoots on an “ exemption “ ground he can buy cartridges on that ground to shoot  a round on that day the law allows that .  The same shooter asks to buy 1000 cartridges to take home  to use the next few times he vists , the ground can not sell them . If the same shooter was practicing and and shooter with a SGC gives him a box of different shells to try he can take them home  . 

Last edited by a moderator:
CPSA General & Technical Rules  2.29 ' It is not permitted to use Guns with straps or slings....'

Which ground was it Will ? Obviously they don't read or know the rules .

This whole subject makes a mockery of safety.

Grounds are a commercial business and need to take every opportunity to maximise profit . BUT at the expense od Safety ? I don't think so .

Sadlly I know of  grounds that will willingly supply a gun and cartridges to none licence holders if there is a possibility of a gun sale, even volunteering to store the gun free of charge until a SGC has been issued .

How many of you have witnessed a new SGC holder taking and supervising their mates who are none licence holders , possibly prohibited persons ( because the are not aware of the Laws , or even do not care ?) to shoot at a ground .

I hate seeing a group turn up with one gun between them or only half with a gun and then passing guns around. Especially when although not seeing someone unsafe but definitely not competent in gun handling. It seems like an accident waiting to happen and i personally find it concerning and distracting. I feel that anyone shooting should be holding a SGC and if not under instruction by ground staff or a SGC holder who is at their side not stood back playing the fool with the rest of the gang. But I see it regularly and never see anything said or done to address the situation.

I hate seeing a group turn up with one gun between them or only half with a gun and then passing guns around. Especially when although not seeing someone unsafe but definitely not competent in gun handling. It seems like an accident waiting to happen and i personally find it concerning and distracting. I feel that anyone shooting should be holding a SGC and if not under instruction by ground staff or a SGC holder who is at their side not stood back playing the fool with the rest of the gang. But I see it regularly and never see anything said or done to address the situation.
You haven't been out with Mr Hoskins who has on a number of occasions waded in verbally and has removed a gun from the hands of an "accident waiting to happen" individual much to the relief of everybody in the vicinity. 

You haven't been out with Mr Hoskins who has on a number of occasions waded in verbally and has removed a gun from the hands of an "accident waiting to happen" individual much to the relief of everybody in the vicinity. 
I sure haven't but fair play to him.

I do wish the ground owners would say something but I guess they enjoy the money and until the issue is forced no one will say anything. 

For me it spoils a round of clays. Typically they are 18-35 and have little consideration for others and it's not behaviour I think is appropriate for clay grounds. 

I have on occasion spoken to people about their gun handling and behaviour...some have taken it on board,others we don't usually see again.

I always try to be polite "excuse me could i have a word" and if possible take them out of earshot of others to save embarrassment if i get the wrong reaction full on embarrassment is what they get.

If you go to our local registered ground on a Saturday you can see large groups with an idiot leading and one gun,car park and overflow is rammed,almost printing money....can't remember the last time i went there!

so you can rent a gun, how do you go about getting cartridges (a gift?)
Yes  !

I think any criticism I have would be towards the law rather than anyone else.  Really when you think of it we take a driving test to drive a car so why not to handle a gun?  Cost should not be stated as a barrier after all most spend a fair bit on kit at the beginning and thereafter.  I could think of many so called “experienced” shooters who could do with a refresher course in gun handling.
I agree with your comment regarding the requirement to obtain a  driving licence.  Problem is, once having obtained the said licence, it would appear that it then entitles you to behave like an utter idiot, when on the road  !    Therefore, surely the same would apply to SOME shooters   ?

I am of the belief that it is already difficult, and costly enough, to obtain a Shotgun Certificate and that it will only get worse as more and more Forces make the rules up and move the goalposts at will  (sorry Will !). I envisage that the 'Doctor' excuse will be used more and more,  to cover inefficiencies and lack of personnel within Firearms Departments.  IF nothing has changed with your address or security arrangements at the time of your renewal, WHY waste time and money sending an FEO to carry out even more checks  ?  That is just one of the many money wasting actions that is totally unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back