Shooting on your own

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John12

Hi, newbie alert... :)

I am based in Berkshire, currently taking lessons at RBSS, caught the bug, have applied for my license and waiting.... Once I am up and running I would like to visit local shoots but don't have anyone to go with as I have yet to hook family and friends into my newfound hobby.

I was looking at local shoots Happy Valley and Flightline Sporting, as well as pay & play at Bisley and Oxford Gun company.

My question is if you can turn up on your own, or if you need to take someone to operate the traps? I read that Bisley has automated traps you can operate solo, but no idea if that is normal or not?

Different shoots operate differently. Flightline is mostly self buttoning, so you can't go alone. Oxford gun co and EJ Churchill will always provide somebody to take you round. Call ahead and get the lie of the land, they may offer somebody to assist. You will soon meet people and be going as a group or meeting up. Enjoy!

if you can make EJ Churchill on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons and evenings in the summer it's very good value and scorers provided. 

And to be honest, I don't really recommend claymate system for beginners. It's better to have somebody to guide you a bit and let you concentrate on the shooting..

Most grounds use a 'delay release' or a shoot alone facility on the button release, but why not take the bull by the horns and turn up at your chosen ground on one of their practice days. Explain to someone that matters, that you are new to the sport and could they suggest anyone who may be willing to show you how things are done there. Do express that you DO NOT require a lesson and explain that you already have had some lessons and are not likely to kill anyone (I hope !). If it were my local ground, I for one, would be most willing to show you around and explain how things work and I know of several other like minded shooters. Lets face it, far better to show you the ropes as opposed to spending a fortune on cleaning bills, after diving into the bushes whenever you are around !  You WILL encounter the 'helpful' shooters and the phrase "Yer behind it" will etch itself on your brain. But, learn to take it in the spirit in which it was intended, smile and move away before muttering "NERD" under your breath.  I hope that you will enjoy the sport and learn to humour the moaning old bar stewards, such as myself  ! 

Hi, newbie alert... :)

I am based in Berkshire, currently taking lessons at RBSS, caught the bug, have applied for my license and waiting.... Once I am up and running I would like to visit local shoots but don't have anyone to go with as I have yet to hook family and friends into my newfound hobby.

I was looking at local shoots Happy Valley and Flightline Sporting, as well as pay & play at Bisley and Oxford Gun company.

My question is if you can turn up on your own, or if you need to take someone to operate the traps? I read that Bisley has automated traps you can operate solo, but no idea if that is normal or not?
Hi John.

It's a shame you're not closer to Worcestershire as I'm pretty much in the same situation. I caught the bug but have no friends or family that are in to shooting either. I'm paying for my dad to have a lesson next week but I doubt he'll be that in to it or willing to spend the money to get setup. If you're up this way when you get going, send me a message.

Hi John.

It's a shame you're not closer to Worcestershire as I'm pretty much in the same situation. I caught the bug but have no friends or family that are in to shooting either. I'm paying for my dad to have a lesson next week but I doubt he'll be that in to it or willing to spend the money to get setup. If you're up this way when you get going, send me a message.
What Westley said - most shoots welcome newcomers, after all you guys are the future! 

Worcestershire - you can't be that far from where I shoot, so the offer is there for you too. If you want to join us, you're welcome mate. Drop me a PM for details if you like. No worries if not. 

What Westley said - most shoots welcome newcomers, after all you guys are the future! 

Worcestershire - you can't be that far from where I shoot, so the offer is there for you too. If you want to join us, you're welcome mate. Drop me a PM for details if you like. No worries if not. 
Thanks Finners. Whereabouts do you shoot? So far I've only been to Throckmorton with my instructor (although I'm going to Park Farm next weekend). My only other experience of clay shooting was 20 years ago at Oxton when we pressed and marked as kids.

It's true what Will says, everyone I've met at Throckmorton has been super friendly and I have been offered to join a group. The group is already quite large though and the main reason for wanting to join up with a new shooter is to have someone of similar experience to learn the trade with.

I'm expecting my licence through within the next 2 weeks so hope to get around as many different grounds as I can over the summer.

Park farm has a compact sporting which you will be put with others to shoot on a squad. So you could shoot this alone so to speak. But it's more fun with mates. Speak to Phil Sanders when you get there . He runs the ground. I'm sure he will be able to hook you up with someone, maybe a newbie also as he does lots of lessons , stags and stuff like that so he may know someone looking for a buddy .

Jasper.

You guys are very helpful, thanks for all the advice!

I will definitely try the guided shoots and phone happy valley to see if they can help out.

Now just get that license!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Will, do some caddied rounds. I spent way too much time when I first started shooting, shooting on a claymate and spent far too much money blasting away aimlessly and not learning how to shoot. It also gets you used to shooting with a a person watching, which can be daunting when you first shoot. Again, I wish I had done this when I first started as I still get nervous now shooting with people I do not know..... 

Hi Nick,

I am completing 6 lessons at RBSS, they are really good, but I am also keen to get some practice to practice in my own time on a non-caddied round and get used to a new gun once the license comes through.

I guess Bisley might be the place for that...

In the meantime I will complete my current lessons, get in touch with happy valley as a local shoot and weekday summer evenings at EJ Churchill sound very appealing!

Thanks Finners. Whereabouts do you shoot? So far I've only been to Throckmorton with my instructor (although I'm going to Park Farm next weekend). My only other experience of clay shooting was 20 years ago at Oxton when we pressed and marked as kids.

It's true what Will says, everyone I've met at Throckmorton has been super friendly and I have been offered to join a group. The group is already quite large though and the main reason for wanting to join up with a new shooter is to have someone of similar experience to learn the trade with.

I'm expecting my licence through within the next 2 weeks so hope to get around as many different grounds as I can over the summer.
Hey Worcester

Not park farm this weekend.  Check out their website. 

Jasper

Turn up, see some other shooters,"hiya im on me own can i join you?"  most of the time this will be enough. Soon after providing you dont twitter non stop about your wifes handbag collection you will have shooting mates everywhere.

Turn up, see some other shooters,"hiya im on me own can i join you?"  most of the time this will be enough. Soon after providing you dont twitter non stop about your wifes handbag collection you will have shooting mates everywhere.
I am a complete shooting slag,i will go with anyone.....almost (Balltrap excluded obviously)  :lol:

i have never had anyone say no when i have asked to join them!

As Rupert says just ask 99% of people are very welcoming.

Sooner you start asking you will probably find a group you will end up shooting with on a regular basis.

what Rupert and schmokin said. If you turn up at a club and cant find some buddies to shoot with within minutes I would be highly suprised. Shooters are a friendly bunch who stick together and help each other as you will soon find out.

I am a complete shooting slag,i will go with anyone.....almost (Balltrap excluded obviously)  :lol:

i have never had anyone say no when i have asked to join them!

As Rupert says just ask 99% of people are very welcoming.

Sooner you start asking you will probably find a group you will end up shooting with on a regular basis.

Thank you I have my street cred to think about :angel:

Worcestershire, I shoot at a couple of small local places. Both are just on the Birmingham side of Redditch, the one this week end is near to Tanworth in Arden. 

Latest posts

Back