shooting in the rain

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmokinn

well its that time of year again,the first really wet experience of the year.

local club shoot at pilford today always a great fun shoot with a couple of more challenging targets throne in also a 24 bird three trap four stand compak.

got there and it was ok shot 19 on the line out bacon butty and a chat it just got the card for 4 of us to go round and the heavens open.

stand in the shelter for about 20 mins and then we decide now or never,we start the round and then it procedes to chuck buckets at a time down we still carry on and although soaked and struggling with water streaming in our faces i get 35/40 not to shabby but soaked to the skin.

think stuff it i am soaked already i'll have another go on the compak shoot 22/24  and one i missed was up and on the floor because of the wind before i saw it.

learned a few things today

1.scores on the way up again:p

2.wear the waterproofs rather than thinking it will be ok and then getting so wet in seconds so that theres no point.

3.the biggy we must be nuts to shoot in weather like that

still  a good day no matter what the weather...GOD I LOVE SHOOTING :preved:

Have done it myself at Orston! Couldn't see out my glasses as the rain was coming down that hard! Could have done with mini windscreen wipers! Haha.

Didn't score very well that day, but still had a good time! The long warm bath and bottle of red I had later that afternoon finished my weekend off a treat!

:)

No problem with shooting in the rain, my problem is getting a chance to shoot at all just now. Have decided its maybe its chilly enough to start wearing a glove on my left hand

Skeet in a strong gusting wind just adds an element of unpredictability to the game :biggrin:

Used to many years ago before covered layouts became the normal. If I had to now I would use the ten not the eell.

guess i am the only one mad enough to shoot in a torrential downpour?
No I too am mad. Last weekend I attempted the sportrap at Southdown in what can only be described as a gale force wind and driving rain. I was in danger of being blown away - my shells bucket did blow away, the stand I was in was trying to take off and my barrels had a life of their own. I was then silly enough to do the 100 sporting in nearly as bad conditions. Had started with the fitasc when it was just blowy and it just got worse from there.

No I too am mad. Last weekend I attempted the sportrap at Southdown in what can only be described as a gale force wind and driving rain. I was in danger of being blown away - my shells bucket did blow away, the stand I was in was trying to take off and my barrels had a life of their own. I was then silly enough to do the 100 sporting in nearly as bad conditions. Had started with the fitasc when it was just blowy and it just got worse from there.
I shot southdown on one of the widiest days this year, - tail end of  a hurricane or somthing...

As usual my scores were sh*te ., windy and cold. 

it must be a SD thing,  never had much luck there .

Rain isnt too bad, whats the worst it can do, make you wet .

:santa:

I shot southdown on one of the widiest days this year, - tail end of  a hurricane or somthing...

As usual my scores were sh*te ., windy and cold. 

it must be a SD thing,  never had much luck there .

Rain isnt too bad, whats the worst it can do, make you wet .

:santa:
I always forget every year as Summer ends how foul the weather can be at Southdown. Rain on its own is not too bad but you usually get wind as well at Southdown and then you can be at risk of hypothermia, I have been known to turn blue on occasion :) . Keep at it Santa, you and I together will conquer Southdown one day. Must meet up there sometime.

You must all be crazy! The only time I would ever consider shooting in the rain is when i've a covered layout to shelter me.

hmmm mixed gas, wreck diving to 50m in the Clyde, going up the Dalveen Pass on a motorbike bike in a blizzard, Skeet in a thunderstorm, doesn't everyone do these kinds of things?

Not a fan.

If it's game shooting then fine but clays.....

Would have to be a major for me to shoot in the rain.

Each to their own, but I can't stand shooting in the rain personally.

If I've entered a big comp and I'm paid up and booked in etc then I'll carry on but for regular Sunday morning registered's I tend to give it a miss if it's tipping it down.

glad i am not the only one,it got that bad on saturday that the compak cages kept blowing over...ended up pinning them down with 2ft spikes.

so sunday was supposed to be gloriously sunny down here with the odd cloud.

unfortunately they did not say that cloud was going to hang around for an hour over Somerley and chuck it down!!

i feel if i did not shoot in the rain at this time of year i would not shoot at all.

did 3 rounds,only one was wet so i guess that is a bonus?

I've become a fair weather shooter.  Didn't use to be, but I do this for enjoyment, and there's nothing to enjoy any more about getting soaked to the skin, glasses running with rain, kit, gun clothes all sopping wet and muddy as hell...  As said above, if I'm booked into a major, fine, I'll go, but not for a Sunday registered, not any more.

I have now retired until March 2015, Its a hobby and NOT compulsory to do in the rain and cold.

Its a hobby and NOT compulsory to do in the rain and cold.

i wasn't saying it was just a lot of the time we look out the window and think no when it might actually not be that bad,i am not saying i look for it just sometimes it happens...damned unpredictable british weather!

funnily enough the best round i shot yesterday was when it was raining.

Never bothered me providing its not stair rods! Besides its the only time my gun gets cleaned. I usually only get time to shoot Sundays unlike the majority of you part timers on here (you all know who you are!!!) so if its raining then I am out and about!

Back