Shoot with both eyes open?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you shoot with one or two eyes open?

• Total voters
Both eyes open for all target presentations. I was faffing around with a bit of tape on the left lens of my glasses thinking that my left eye was taking over. I had one session with Ed where he immediately ditched that and gave me the confidence to get my eyes away from the gun to pick up targets. Never looked back. 

Pick up with two eyes and shut my left eye.  Not interested in changing that, happy as I am.

Both eyes all the time, but I'm very right eye dominant so don't need to worry about closing the left one.

used to close\patch\tape left eye until I had a few lessons.  Now I can hit more (not saying much, mind) with both eyes open after being given the confidence by the coach to do so....

This has been debated for as long as I can remember ( that's a very long time).

Nick Penn has always advocated it but it is not as easy to do for some people as it may be for others.

There is not really one solution that fits all people , which is why in your formative years it is very sensible to seek skilled advice from a good Coach /Instructor.

I have researched and worked on this for many years and can tell you with certainty that some people may always need to occlude an eye to be ultra successful.

Don't get too hung up on whether you can or cannot shoot with  both eyes open. Try to and see if it works for you, but shooting with a vision aid or occluder can enable many to shoot to a very high standard. 

Both eyes open to pick the target up, right eye closed when I pull the trigger due to a slight eye-dominance issue.

Coach hasn't tried to change this and I've shot registered sporting scores of 90+ so I don't see the need to try and change anything.

Try as I may to keep both eyes open I just don't feel comfortable doing it and miss way more than I do with the small patch on. 

Both eyes open off right shoulder despite a left master eye, close both lightly murmuring ffs after misses. 

both eyes open so I have a much better view of the "unbroken" target continuing on its merry way. ?

Both eyes open but a small shotspot over my left eye after a lesson with Carl Bloxhams. Not sure if it makes a genuine difference or not. I've shot my best and worst scores with it!

Latest posts

Back