Shoot 5 pairs not 10 singles....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HankBomb

I think I read this on this site somewhere....Good tip

When going up to a stand to shoot your 10 as 5 pairs ....so don't think of them as how many out of 10 will I get eg.. 5,7 or 8 out of 10

think of how many pairs will I get.  shoot them in pairs so if you get a pair count it as one till you get to 5 , helps focus on the pair that you are shooting now.

Tried it last time I shot and it helped a lot and improved my score , might not help everybody but helped me focus on the here and now ie. the pair I am shooting at that moment.

I think I have explained it ok? Hammy help!  Your good at explaining this sort of stuff!

I have read some cracking pieces by the likes of Ed and BenH on course management and the importance of things such as not counting misses, building a score by just shooting etc.......but personally I am totally guilty of reverse counting a score on a stand because I can't help but notice when I miss :.: plus I tend to know when it's last pair so possibly not your best bet to articulate an easy to remember tip for stand management.

But thinking in pairs doesn't strike me as easier ? I'm not saying it's wrong just that I don't know because we have always been told to take shots as singles even on together pairs ?! One thing I do know is important is to never miss pairs :D  easily done if you let the first miss get to you. I'd be interested in others views.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read some cracking pieces by the likes of Ed and BenH on course management and the importance of things such as not counting misses, building a score by just shooting etc.......but personally I am totally guilty of reverse counting a score on a stand because I can't help but notice when I miss :.: plus I tend to know when it's last pair so possibly not your best bet to articulate an easy to remember tip for stand management.

But thinking in pairs doesn't strike me as easier ? I'm not saying it's wrong just that I don't know because we have always been told to take shots a singles even on together pairs ?! One thing I do know is important is to never miss pairs :D easily done if you let the first miss get to you. I'd be interested in others views.
agree with what you stated hamster so easy to record misses mentally!! I know when I have shot well my level of concentration / discipline is 100% towards the clays, and after a lesson with Ed about 3 wks ago that is roughly what he hammered home to me!! I jus take each clay one at a time, and try to replicate till I have shot the lot.

Well from a trap perspective i and most others tend to count back so you would say ok i have missed 3 targets in first round so i am on for a 97 etc. However i know that a top ot shooter friend of mine says that he counts up in 5s so he will just keep ticking every 5 off, i spose it helps enormously to be able to consistently hit 5 in a row :)

Misses need mental management and that is very important so as not to have them effect the next shot or shots.  Staying in the present and getting them outta your mind takes training and practice.  Work on just that and add Xs to your score!

Absolutely agree with that however its much harder to do than it sounds.

Judging by the replies, looks like what works for some doesn't necessarily work for others, I suppose you just go with what works for you

Personally, I like to treat each clay individually.

Sure you will (hopefully) see 5 similar pairs, but the key point that I have been working on since my lesson with Ed is recognising why I missed and what I need to do to correct it.

My old habit if I missed, was to shoot in the same place again and miss again.

Now I treat each clay individually, and if I miss one, identify the one thing that changed from the previous shot (usually hold point for me) put it right and hit the next and try not to get wrapped up in the score.

In fact, now I don't keep count or look at my scorecard until I've finished, and my scores have improved dramatically. it's one less thing to mess with your head.

Back