Servicing intervals

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that cleanliness is the key to reliability with shotguns , that and lubricating the hinge pin or pivot pins .

Periodical inspection of firing pins should keep them going for a while .

I am puzzled as to why very highly priced clay  guns need to be serviced annually ?

Many many Purdey's , Holland & Holland , Greener's , Westley Richards have been handed down for generations and never ever been  touched or serviced, yet get yourself an overpriced clay gun and they have to be serviced between service intervals.

I think that cleanliness is the key to reliability with shotguns , that and lubricating the hinge pin or pivot pins .

I am puzzled as to why very highly priced clay  guns need to be serviced annually ?

Many many Purdey's , Holland & Holland , Greener's , Westley Richards have been handed down for generations and never ever been  touched or serviced, yet get yourself an overpriced clay gun and they have to be serviced between service intervals.
It is the key to relieving those that have to much money of more after they have spent stupid money on a buying a Kreighoff  :lol:

Schmokinn,

I see that your Krieghoff sponsorship deal fell through then?

In the Olden Days a yearly trip to the maker post-season was SOP.  Service done by a proper 'smith would most certainly not be discernible.

I don't believe  very highly priced clay  guns need to be serviced annually if they are cared for in the manner you note.  Mine certainly don't, but then it may be that my version of care precludes "service".

Last edited by a moderator:
what's a service ??

never had a service only ever had reactive repairs, ejector timing, firing pin, second barrell not going off.

Wonko ,

I said highly priced clay guns . Not Perazzi which are cheap and tasteless , unless you like matt black and plain featureless wood with laser engraving , plus side ribs that are detachable .

Use your Spaghetti guns for your Spaghetti Westerns.

Wonko ,

I said highly priced clay guns . Not Perazzi which are cheap and tasteless , unless you like matt black and plain featureless wood with laser engraving , plus side ribs that are detachable .

Use your Spaghetti guns for your Spaghetti Westerns.
Got plenty of Japanese guns but i definitely prefer the feel of my Perazzi!!

Got plenty of Japanese guns but i definitely prefer the feel of my Perazzi!!
At the end of the day it matters not what the gun cost it makes no difference to whether the shooter will hit the target. Perazzi shotguns are more often than not bought or are used by people who shoot in competitions and these guns have returned very many champions at the very highest level of competition no one can Deny that... how many Olympic gold medals have been won by Purdy and Greener et.al  serious question would be good to know that stat.

A serious question has been asked that cannot be given a reasonable answer, as clayshooting was not included in the Olympics when Britain's finest were in their heyday.

The topic is about reliability and servicing intervals not about willy waving or exiled Brits .

A serious question has been asked that cannot be given a reasonable answer, as clayshooting was not included in the Olympics when Britain's finest were in their heyday.

The topic is about reliability and servicing intervals not about willy waving or exiled Brits .
Ok i have plenty of Japanese guns,a Turkish one and several Italian ones NONE of which have broken down!

The topic is about reliability and servicing intervals not about willy waving or exiled Brits .
Well of course... but you are mentioning Perazzi as being some sort of cheap vulgar gun, when we all know it is a very practical and reliable competition gun and you have to admire them for that surely ?  Willy waving and exiled Brits....  I am not an exiled Brit :lol:

There is a concept known as RCM - Reliability Centred Maintenance, I think it originated in the RAF in the 50s and is now used widely in the military and other industries across the world to determine the the servicing strategies of complex bits of kit.   It's centred around the principle of 'if it aint broke - then don't fix it' because as we all know you have something that works perfectly you give it some TLC and then because you have messed with it the problems start.

Take my Audi RS missile, every two years Audi says it needs an air-con service, clean the bugs out, re-gas the system and take an eye watering amount of money off me.   Anyway get it back and with the aircon on there is a squeak, really annoying.  Ended up as a two day dealer visit to replace a valve that had got upset by the new gas arrival...now the air con worked just fine before, I should have left it alone.

So for me, I clean the gun once a week unless it's got wet and oil the important bits that I can see (no stock removal), a smear of stock oil because the walnut looks soooo gorgeous and I'm a tart and that's it - servicing anything just asks for trouble.

At least with cars you have a mileage and time stipulation, whichever comes sooner such as 12k or 12 months, how come there is no such rule with guns  :mellow: . I mean you can buy a Krieghoff and barely shoot it twice a month or put 40 thousand rounds through it  :ph34r: but they expect you to cough up the same money either way ! 

At least with cars you have a mileage and time stipulation, whichever comes sooner such as 12k or 12 months, how come there is no such rule with guns  :mellow: . I mean you can buy a Krieghoff and barely shoot it twice a month or put 40 thousand rounds through it  :ph34r: but they expect you to cough up the same money either way ! 
Common sense comes into play if you have shot the balls off it,

service it ! If not give it a wipe !

Common sense comes into play if you have shot the balls off it,

service it ! If not give it a wipe !
Yes but the point is if it doesn't break (which it shouldn't) then the fact that no manufacturer to my knowledge stipulates a "cartridge mileage" proves it's a bit of a scam. 

Back