Exorcism required on my Browning......

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley

Well, have now stopped swearing at the above mentioned, started last selection at Beverley, misfire city, which started on 3rd line, blamed the shells, changed the springs, then spent hours on the eve of day 1, taking a skimming out of the stock, in case the hammers were dragging, then using my leatherman did a full strip of the action and cleaned and polished everything with my toothbrush (cleaned teeth with finger next morning), day 2 no problem, but gave it a proper service and rebuild back home.

This weekend, selection at Nutty, day 1 fine, day 2,  2nd line misfire on top barrel, oh bugger, put the shell in bottom and went for miss with 1st, it didnt go... luckily it did next time., seemed ok after that. Next line put gun up, and went to take up the slack that most Brownings have before calling pull, oh bugger felt like two feet of slack, it hadnt cocked, so opened the gun whipped out the shells, closed and opened the empty gun, then tried again, it worked, so every shot was shoot open unload, close it, open it then reload for next shot, it failed once on the top but was going for bits. 

Stripped and checked between lines, couldnt find anything, but this carried on all day.

Today, I removed the stock, and coated the inside with talc, to see if the hammers were touching, nothing, I have shot 300 shots with snap caps on each barrel, no failures,

So I have come to the conclusion that I have a poltergeist in my gun, that doesnt like selection shoots, so am going to drain the font at our local church and pour the water all over it, may even get the vicar to do some chanting over it, if that doesnt work, it might just become a door prop..... and dare I say it, get replaced by a modern gun.......

Either the strikes are too light, the caps too hard or a remote possibility of both. 

Were you using the same gun/cartridge combination prior to the problem, or have you changed cartridges recently ??

Strikes are fine, no problem striking now, it just wouldnt cock the hammers back, have checked the sear springs, the sears everything, why it did it, no idea, same shells, tried others same thing, you would have said the cocking bar was bent, but today when it doesnt matter, never failed to cock...

Might go and tell it Im looking at Beretta's.......

Check the cam  that recocks the hammers for wear. It could that its not  pushing them back far enough so if you open the gun lightly it doesn't recock.

You know what to do inside, buy GERMAN :cool:
Did it years ago, got fed up with C clips popping off when I removed the stock,

Took a blaser in when I was in the trade, was going to shoot it, it was a 34", like a fool put it on the web, sold it in 20 minutes,,,,,,,

I had a similar problem with a 3800 grd 3. Turned out to be the flappy bit for the inertia selection to the second barrel.

Somtimes it didn't return properly and the lifter didn't engage. Pull trigger..nothing.. Ref comes up and tries.. Bang-- ref -"Lost"... Me.."Bugger"

Got rid soon after as it was generslly worn out by then and also very loose and would not cost effective to repair. 

Shame cause I put some big scores in with it. 

I had a similar problem with a 3800 grd 3. Turned out to be the flappy bit for the inertia selection to the second barrel.

Somtimes it didn't return properly and the lifter didn't engage. Pull trigger..nothing.. Ref comes up and tries.. Bang-- ref -"Lost"... Me.."Bugger"

Got rid soon after as it was generslly worn out by then and also very loose and would not cost effective to repair. 

Shame cause I put some big scores in with it. 
Finally someone telling the truth about the indestructible Miroku.  :D :)

Hammy,

Yes sadly I have noticed that one or two badly maintained Miroku's are as worn out and as reliable as new Beretta products. :lol: :lol: :p

I have yet to meet any miroku trap shooter who is remotely serious who has not had the triggers fettled

just saying

I had a Browning 525 that every now and again wouldn't fire Fiochhi Carts.

Had pins, springs and everything changed, and still wouldn't go bang.. Changed cartridges an no issues..

I have yet to meet any miroku trap shooter who is remotely serious who has not had the triggers fettled

just saying
Its had everything done to it, but its just started playing up, triggers are as good as you can get on a Browning, new pins, twice in the last 3 months, 1st set were from the USA, bottom one a mm longer than standard to aleviate misfires,  I thinkl they took the extra mm of the top one, but they both started pitting after 500 shells, so replaced them again.

I think it could become the spare gun when I get a few more stocks done......

cut your losses go to a Beretta.. Job done ?

Am looking, keep eyeing a gold e 32", then sway back to a Daytona, or a cheap mx8.....

If you were paying Ian,  a nice sh DT11.......    £2750 in Italy..... :smile:

Had a couple or three 682s..  Never got on with them.. for me the stocks are all wrong around the grip area. 

Still working on the DT10. Let you know in a couple of months..ok so far. 

I've been most conststent with MX8 and Miroku up to now. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back