Semi auto for a left hander

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuftikins

Been invited by a farmer to shoot pigeon on his barley fields,would love to get into this and thinking about buying a semi,nothing too pricey,am a bit worried about how the cart ejecting across my non shooting eye will effect my sighting,any advise appreciated

Neale

Neale you will not register it so don't let it worry you at all.

Can be off putting, Mrs fuz is a lefty and doesnt like my auto but its more the clunk of the bolt coming back than the spent shell coming across her face. You can get lefty autos but if you go with a righty always wear glasses as you will get some gas and unburnt powder going across. Tbh I dont even take the auto out much now, prefer the gun that I know well for everything :)

Saw today Webley make a L/H version,but reviews are not good,thinking of a S/H Beretta,any issues with any particular model?

Thanks Nic,My RM 10/22 ejects to the right,and I don't have a problem with that,apart from the cases going down my sleeve!! Just that carts are massive compared to .22lr cases

Do not buy a Webley on the strength of its name...not a modern one...they aren't Webley any more...just the name.

Fabarm make the Velocity XLR5  in true left hand.

HA1504_Fabarm_XLR5_Velocity_Sporting_Silver_Left-Hand_Adj-Comb-Rib_12-32_Receiver_L.jpg

I know someone who has a left handed benelli black eagle which he shoots very well.

Hi

I dont know if this is any good to you but I sold a mint left handed semi auto Remi 1100 to Tony Morris, a gun trader in Hereford, it had two barrels one 30" choked at 1/2 and a shorter 26" skeet barrel, I am right handed and straighted skeet a few times with it and did a few straights on DTL too, it had spare stock and wide grip fore end as well. He is on gun trader, and if he has it still I know its a great gun and will be a fair price, prob about £300 with all the spares.

Thanks for all the advice,after trying a few,went with Nicola's advice and bought a Winchester SX3 Black Shadow,right hand eject is no problem as its so fast it doesn't register(thanks Nic)
Used it for the first time today on a few high crows,and was really impressed with the gun,very pointable,super fast cycling,a joy to use

Neale

Oh dear oh dear. :no:

Gun manufacturers don't make left handers for nothing you know, they have researched it all very well first.

Far too many people shooting right handed auto's when they should be shooting a lefty and it's nothing to do with shooting accurately.

Very few people know the true dangers of using a shotgun with the wrong configuration etc, I suggest you seek one out asap before it's too late.

Hi Rob,could you expand on this,I always wear shooting glasses,and actually very few manufacturers make a true left hand semi,nearly all the ones I loooked at came set up straight with various shims to alter the cast left or right handed

Hi Rob,could you expand on this,I always wear shooting glasses,and actually very few manufacturers make a true left hand semi,nearly all the ones I loooked at came set up straight with various shims to alter the cast left or right handed
Forget shims etc. they can be adjusted to suit.

You need the cartridge to eject on the left.

Some good advise in posts above.

webber

Whoa horses.

Tuffty, I have not advised on any guns.... :smile: only that you would not register cartridges passing a non master eye when using a borrowed gun for a day in the field.

I would never advise an auto....full stop....as I hate them.

I do not know if you are a left hander shooting a standard auto from the left shoulder... Or...

A left eye master shooting an auto from the right shoulder.

There is a big difference (potential safety problem) between the two situations.

The cartridge should eject away from your face.....in a perfect world.

Don't get tooooo up close and personal at the front end ......you do not want a fluke ejected cartridge, in your nose or eye.

Oh dear oh dear. :no:

Gun manufacturers don't make left handers for nothing you know, they have researched it all very well first.

Far too many people shooting right handed auto's when they should be shooting a lefty and it's nothing to do with shooting accurately.

Very few people know the true dangers of using a shotgun with the wrong configuration etc, I suggest you seek one out asap before it's too late.
come on please elaborate ......

I'm left handed and have shot a right handed Beretta 390 off the left shoulder since 2005, probably used 30k 24g and 28g steel cartridges, and am happy to report with no problem, however I would be interested to hear the potential problem with this scenario.

Is your nose 10mm shorter than it used to be?

Only kidding! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just spotted this and haven't really got time to answer properly but its to do with "cast at toe" which can not be changed on most guns and the direction of the recoil force.

The nerves in the shoulder can be very seriously damaged causing severe pain/numbness and loss of use of the arm.

There has been many recorded cases.

Not to mention the flash from the cartridge into the eyes on a cold windy day of course.

There is a very famous photo out there by Don Brunt showing this flash from a nice Beretta but copy right etc prohibits me from showing it.

However if you insist on getting one give yourself a good chance by getting one with a straight stock that has no "cast at toe" if you can find one and put a large soft recoil pad on it. And always wear shooting glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back