Bought a pogo stick

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Been pondering another auto for a while for pigeon splatting and needed something proofed for big steel for ducks and geese. I'm also fed up of getting the miroke muddy and covered in blood, the small scratches from leaning it against trees and pushing through hedges with it and its nice to have a 3rd shell in reserve occasionally.

I took the plunge yesterday on a reasonably local and very well priced Browning Maxus black synthetic with 30" barrel and 3.5 inch steel shot chamber.

(Sorry about the upside down pic, its right on my PC but got swung round somehow in uploading :( )

post-64-0-62057200-1377330308.jpg

As you can see I have done some stock work on it already as it was a little too low in the comb and I want it shootable for chasing some pigeons tomorrow. Unfortunately the guy didn't have the stock adjuster shims with it but I am going to take a trip to see Tony Manvell at Wilts rods and guns today to see if he has any and if not get some ordered. Its not a major problem as my cardboard strips and tape only take it up 6mm and as synthetic stocks seem to be very narrow in the comb I shall be getting a Recoil Systems stick on raiser anyway to thicken it up and for a nice comfortable cheek rest.  http://www.recoilsystems.com/combraiser/combraiser.asp

I have had it in pieces this morning with the trigger plate, firing block and gas piston off to give it a real good clean out (probably first and last time) This is a very easy job which can look very daunting to the new auto owner with all the moving parts and I will put up a step by step guide with pics if anyone is interested, maybe even a video :)

First impressions out of the box are very good, it seems well built and solid as expected from Browning with their long history in autoloaders. It weighs in at a very field friendly 7lb 2oz but with the 30" barrel it comes out longer overall than my 32" miroke so stability when swinging it feels much the same. I like the latch system on the forend rather than the traditional screw on magazine cap which can shoot themselves loose. The only downside of this comes for the user that likes to add a weighted end cap, but for me it balances pretty good anyway and a weighted end cap could be substituted with a clamp on barrel weight.

The "speed load" system is a good feature, rather than putting a shell in the chamber then pushing the bolt release button to slam the breech shut you just put the first shell up underneath as you would to fill the magazine and it automatically chambers it for you.

The proof is in the shooting and I will report back tomorrow evening with shooting conclusions :)

Attachments

• WP_20130824_001.jpg
    WP_20130824_001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm thinking of getting one myself but must admit all that mechanical malarkey puts me off....mind you I was nervous of the O/U when I first got it!

So I would be interested in a step by step guide....or videos....

I'm thinking of getting one myself but must admit all that mechanical malarkey puts me off....mind you I was nervous of the O/U when I first got it!
So I would be interested in a step by step guide....or videos....
I've got one for sale of you're interested?

Well took her out for a "bounce" at the pigeons today. I am very impressed :D  I shot about 75-80 shells through it, not a single jam or hint that it was going to malfunction. Taking the barrel off to put it back in the hard case I noticed how clean it was around the gas ports and the piston, despite using quite a dirty cartridge.

I was using a mix of Gamebore velocity 29g fibre 6's and the same shell in 28g 7.5, these cycled no problem at all and felt extremely soft on the shoulder. I stuck a couple of 40 grammers through it as well and the recoil was negligible.

The temporary stock adjustment was spot on straight out of the box but I have ordered some adjuster shims from Tony Manvell and will wait for them to arrive before I decide on how high a stick on comb raiser I want. 

A really good bit of kit from Browning, compared to the Beretta 302 and latterly the Hatsan I had, its head and shoulders above them both :D

Ended up with a grand total of 36 pigs and 2 crows so its earning its keep :)  

Hi Fuzrat,

Where's the balance point? Most semi's tend to be nose heavy which does my head in.

I've got a Beretta Urika 2 , bought it used but they are fidley to clean but only got as far as the breech , not taken the trigger apart and don't think I ever will . My o/u take me 10 mins to clean , these take 30 mins especially if it don't go back together smoothly .
I used a U Tube video which I found most helpful

Very easy to strip them, not as hard as they look like. Granted if you do a "deep" clean and have the trigger unit and the breech block out it takes half hour or so but a standard clean for me takes no longer than my O/U. Forend off, barrel out, clean the barrel (only one to do) cotton wool bud thing in the gas holes, and a wipe down of the piston and magazine, 10 mins ish. 

A deep clean of the O/U takes as long as I have the stock off and get into the action as well, but thats only if it gets soaked.

I will pop a video up tomorrow on stripping down and rebuilding :)

Hi Fuzrat,

Where's the balance point? Most semi's tend to be nose heavy which does my head in.
Actually quite a ways back on this one, even with the synth stock (wood version is obviously heavier) It comes with a 2 inch extended half choke that I had in today to make it more like my mk38 and I have 4 or 5 ounces of lead in my mk38 stock!

Hi fuz you would love my toy I brought this year ...9 shot Winchester semi...recycles eley 21 grams and fast as you can pull the trigger...... :) smart bit of kit and great pigeon gun..bloody expensive if ya not shooting well though...

I had a Maxus and discovered that they will happily cycle 24grm loads should you ever feel the need for a bit of close to zero recoil clay busting.

I love my 3.5" Maxus ... its easy to strip and clean and once I had put a few hundred rounds through it it'd cycle most 24g loads (though not english sporters for some unknown reason!).  

I've got a Beretta 391 too and while its a nice gun it really isn't in the same class as the Maxus ... The autoload feature is just brilliant to use and recently my lad was in a practical shotgun session and this single feature enabled him to keep up with FAC 10 shot guys.

I got the carbon composite variant for rough use not expecting to use it that much, but now kinda feel i should have chosen the wood as then it'd be my first choice everywhere   

Many years ago I had a Beretta 303, looking back it was the one gun that I should never have sold!

I always shot well with it, it was easy on the shoulder and to me the only negative was the perceived safety aspect.

I sold it after a couple of years as I used my O/U more (and could use it on game shoots as well)

I have just purchased a s/h Beretta Urika and after my first day out with it have to say that it is even better than the 303 was!

I think that I will fit the extra restrictor (one in the breech and one in the magazine) so that I never load 3 and use it for all my clay shooting.

I've now bought a Remmington Versax .....great piece of kit

Back