Rugby Trap Club 4/3/12 (Helice)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Took a break from sporting and had a run up to rugby for a play on the whirlies with Nicola, glad I did as at least Helice is under cover!

First time I've been to this ground (funny that, as its a trap club) a warm welcome in the clubhouse with excellent pig in rolls. We booked on then headed up to the range for some practice birds.

The weather was dreadfull with heavy rain and sleet squalls with a brisk gusty wind, not ideal for these unpredictable targets. Shot 4 practice birds for 4 first barrel kills using some Fiocchi Samfour shells that Nicola gave me (she helped develop these especially for Helice) first time I've shot whirlies for a couple of years so not a bad start.

Back to the club house for a cuppa while the first couple of squads shot. We were shooting "old system" A 20 bird competition in squads of 6, each squad shoots 6 birds in rotation 2 birds at a time. then next squad comes on. 3 sets of 6 then a 2. As it happened because it was so cold we did 2 rounds of 6 and the final 8 in one go, 4 birds on then the other 4 per squad to get through them a bit quicker.

A lot of GB internationals there but probably due to the gusty wind blowing l-r across the range and this being the first meet of the season scores weren't what you would normally expect. 18 won it and that was great shooting. Any bird going hard right from the righthand trap had to be nailed first barrel straight out the trap else the wind took the white over the fence (a loss even if you do hit it)

I shot 10 which I wasnt too displeased with. Only dropped 3 from my first 12 but then dropped the last 7 birds :angry: I blame the constant shivering and the gusty wind. Had a great Worm-Burner 3 inches above the deck which I nailed :D

Good fun day out with plenty of laughs, shame it was so damn cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
You shot some good birds Fuzzy and the misses did too. She hit some real technical stonkers!!

It was a freezing day and this is a discipline for sun on your back .....

Everyone enjoyed the day and it was a great turnout. I will load some picture later of you and the misus... :)

The man who won had never shot it before .. A good natural shot.

Last edited:
Some piccys.

Helice4312016.jpg

Helice4312010.jpg

Helice4312007.jpg

Helice4312018.jpg

Well done Fuzz, I know it's an expensive game but it's bloody good fun I would recommend everyone try it atleast once. Infact can we organise a shootclay ZZ comp that would fun

Well done Fuzz, I know it's an expensive game but it's bloody good fun I would recommend everyone try it atleast once. Infact can we organise a shootclay ZZ comp that would fun

What about having a ZZ target on your pool shoot Adam?

I agree......a good day out.

Fuzzy....bring the good lady.......my hubby said that she could get good at this.....she shot really well because she pulled some evil birds and hit them.

Yeah, as with other FITASC disciplines its a very social day out. Really good fun, Cheers when you nail a real tough worm-burner and bad lucks when you get a white over the fence :)

Yeah, as with other FITASC disciplines its a very social day out. Really good fun, Cheers when you nail a real tough worm-burner and bad lucks when you get a white over the fence :)
Or .........the great white Iddon taking the piss with his comical calls of 'ready'.

You buy the trap and I will put it on. Hope your keeping well buddy

I'm good mate. If I win the lotto I'll get you one, maybe, out of the change I have left from buggering off somewhere hot.

Where have you built those new stands?

Just past the pool on the left and what is normally stand 1 on the far right as you come out the clubhouse, hoping to have all the stands like that by end of year so lots of work to do.

Sorry for going off topic :)

(null)

Sorry guys but Helice is not just one trap. It also needs the correct fence........or it means...........nada.

Tell me about it, I remember drilling some nasty targets only for the wind to carry both bits over the fence. But hay ho that's the way it goes

(null)

A stand of simo whirlies, now that would be hardcore :lol: :.:

Never done it myself but I believe there are pairs comps, as if singles aren't hard enough

(null)

They run a pairs comp once a year at Invicta .

Also we have shot a pairs comp at a World Championship before in various countries, it is a great fun 'pool' event after the main event has finished. Mickey Rouse and I had a great partnership a few year ago at Bologna it was a hell of a run...... .

Tell me about it, I remember drilling some nasty targets only for the wind to carry both bits over the fence. But hay ho that's the way it goes

(null)

I remember drilling an easy one at the bgp and still being told it wouldn't count... Nothing personal though...! ;-)

P.s. there are two types of pairs comps.

1) one person shooting a pair off Nos2 and4

2) two people shooting at same time next to each other at Nos2 and4. Both with full use of gun at either or both....first to get em......

Latest posts

Back