Rough Cost of restocking

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Hi

Not for my clay gun but I hope that the collective wisdom on here may be able to help.  I have an aya no3 that I love dearly but doesn't really fit me.  I am going to take delivery of an aya centenary shortly which will made to fit me and although it doesn't make financial sense I am wondering about getting a stock made to the same dimensions so that the old gun fits me.  I don't want aya to do it due to cost as its only 300 worth of gun, but I don't mind spending a bit with a gunsmith.  I wondered if anyone had an idea how much a sxs stock in basic wood could cost, I would just get the existing splinter fore end stained to match.

Thanks

pm mutley on here, he makes em.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot would depend on how much work would be required to alter the No.3 stock to fit you. If it just a bending or shortening of the original stock then I would get that done. If it is the standard No.3 and not the pistol grip version, the straight hand stock will bend easily, shortening or lengthening will also be a lot cheaper than restocking. The amount of work to restock, regardless of the cost of the stock blank, will well exceed the value of the gun.

Fantastic, thanks, I will look into extending, doesn't matter too much what it looks like..
Why not have a go at doing that yourself ? Depending on how much you require the stock to be extended you could use rubber pads or ebonite type material or even use a piece of walnut. If you search the internet I feel sure that the subject will be well covered and it will give you a greater sense of pride when using the gun, knowing that you have done the alteration yourself. You may have to take the gun to a decent woodwork shop with a band saw to get the heel of the stock cut square, but that would be the hardest part really. The rest would be down to you. You would be shooting with the new gun anyway, so time would not be a factor and you could be pleasantly suprised with your newly aquired skills..

Wesley, what a fabulous idea, I think I may give the Gun to my Dad anyway as I don't have a need for two sxs, I just need to be careful with the centenary.  Dad has the time and skills to do this.  Thank you for the idea!

Wesley, what a fabulous idea, I think I may give the Gun to my Dad anyway as I don't have a need for two sxs, I just need to be careful with the centenary.  Dad has the time and skills to do this.  Thank you for the idea!
I would get it altered to the same measurements as the Centenary and keep it as a spare gun. If you are shooting 'away from home' and your gun breaks down, believe me, you will appreciate having a 'spare gun' in your vehicle. If you have paid for a days shooting, spending it using one barrel or a loan gun is no joke, trust me !

Well, you're not likely going to find a loose aya stock anywhere and it's not a valuable gun, so I second the notion of fitting it yourself.  Time at the patterning board will be time well spent and I would start with checking barrel regulation from a bench rest.  If the barrels are not regulated very well, then it makes no sense for any type of stock fitting until that issue is resolved.

If I had 2 Spanish s/s, I'd trade them in for 1 English s/s!

Sorry PP, but in my opinion, the AYA's are a poor example.

No 3 cost me £220 and after another 30 quid and some time and is immaculate, moving on to the gun that I paid less for, the Centenary is brand new and cost the price of two stamps (many thanks to Shooting Times/ASI/Aya)... If you pay the difference for a brand new English sxs hand engraved with exhibition wood then we could swap I suppose...

i don't think I could hand anyone a £10K cheque for a gun, about £2150 for a beretta 690 III is the point that I really don't get the logic in paying more for...

Have you seen the centenary? it's very nice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would sooner buy TWO new mainsprings for an AYA No.1 sidelock than one new mainspring for any English sidelock though !  When we are reduced to using steel shot, give me the Spanish gun every time.

I will try to put some pictures up when back in the office, whereabouts are you Simon? If we could find a convenient location you would be welcome to try it.

Back