Reg comps

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Selby

Probably been asked before but just wondering if you have to be a CPSA member to shoot reg comps or can you just turn up and shoot birds only as practice? Reason I ask is that I let my membership lapse last year and I'm due for knee surgery soon which will prevent me shooting for 3-6 months after, so don't want to re-join until after that.

You can do birds only - no score registered with CPSA and no prize money if you happen to be any good and win.

The rules say no. You must be a CPSA member (or equivalent) to shoot registered events. You cannot shoot registered layouts as either a non member or an unregistered shooter until the event, including shoot off's, have finished. Note I say layouts here, there's nothing to prevent you using a practice layout or shooting targets that don't form part of the competition.

That said, almost all grounds don't enforce the rule. They won't turn away paying shooters and the CPSA are powerless to stop them.

Check with the ground you wish to shoot at first. Some apply the rules, others don't.

The full rules are on the CPSA website should you wish to have a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right Will although there's no mention of discipline. These rules apply to all disciplines except sporting.

I shoot birds only at Orston and Grimsthorpe without cpsa membership and they haven't turned my money down yet. As long as you are familiar with and adhere to cpsa rules where's the harm.

I shoot birds only at Orston and Grimsthorpe without cpsa membership and they haven't turned my money down yet. As long as you are familiar with and adhere to cpsa rules where's the harm.
Not shot a registered sporting for years but when I last went to some I shot them as practice at the same time as the registered shoots, this included a regional champs. Ground owner just said.. "Well, they need us to put registered shoots on more than we need them"

Wouldn't know if this is still the case though as I haven't been for a long time, being mainly a trappie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too (Orston that is)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I wish you a speedy recovery once you have the op Nick so you can  get back out to enjoy your shooting  :thumbsup:

Nick, why don't u come down and try the 75 bird open at lady's wood? 28th feb. It's squaded so u need to book a space.

I wish you a speedy recovery once you have the op Nick so you can get back out to enjoy your shooting :thumbsup:
thanks Gareth. Went out today at Westfield but my knee is not good now... Hope the op sorts it out although it'll be a long rehab.

:fie:  Numero Uno, but yours was a simple straight foward castration job! a clean razor blade or stanley blade and a bottle of turps. :crazy:

You want to get some physiotherapy on that mate!

There's a guy on here, can't remember his name, but he's really good! :biggrin:

P.S. Hope the op goes well Nick. Currently recovering from 2 ops just before Christmas so I feel your pain. (Literally!) :prankster:
thanks... Now just need to tell my boss that I'll be off for 3 months and I've only just started my new job.... Hope your recovery goes well.

Back