Recoil Protection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinehall

I realise this topic has been probably been covered in the past but here goes. I have recently purchased an MX12/3 with an adjustable comb. In my summer plumage its standard LOP (15 ins)  is ok and fits well, but I know when the temp starts to fall I will need to shorten the LOP somehow.

A way forward, as I see it, I have been considering putting an adjustable recoil reducer or to fit varying thicknesses of ISIS green pads. What are your views, as I do not want to affect the balance, which is  lurvlee at present? I understand, from previous comments, the Danuser system is heavier than the ISIS systems and could affect the balance.

Secondly, due to the adjustable comb and the presence of a recoil reducing system on the stock, would this compromise the strength of the woodwork behind the comb assembly as it comes a long way down the comb itself?

What are you Guru's views on Recoil Reduction Systems anyway?

Thanks for your time Ladies and Gents

Do you need a recoil reducer ? If not then different thicknesses of pads is the way to go. 

I suppose I am being taken in by the marketing hype.

Would the ISIS pads be adequate as I find one of my favourite carts (Hull Superfast) give me a bit of a thump?

My first observation is that Hull super fast plas wad are fairly low recoil. The fibre wad version kick hard though. If it's the plas wads then you shouldn't be getting a kick if the gun fits well, unless you have a solid wood butt. 

The plan of two different Isis x pads is good. (Although personally I would find some warm winter clothing that isn't so thick that you need to fiddle with the lop..)

I have the full Isis recoil system and as you say the balance of the gun was unchanged after fitting. If I bought a new gun I would probably just go for a thick Isis  xpad. 

Thanks Will, you're right it was Bisley with the Fibres!

I'll give the varying thickness pads a go then, a great deal less recoil on the wallet as well.

Curious,?  why will you need a shorter stock in the winter?

:santa:
I expect to see you out in the snow wearing a t shirt and a mesh vest then? Personally I prefer a nice thick coat when it's cold which can add noticably to your stock length.

I expect to see you out in the snow wearing a t shirt and a mesh vest then? Personally I prefer a nice thick coat when it's cold which can add noticably to your stock length.
Although I agree with you in principal it has to be said that a gun that immediately feels too long with winter clothes is prolly a bit too long period. The majority afterall seem to manage with the same pad throughout the year. 

It's probably best to have the right length for a bit of clothing on as we seem to have to most of the year anyway and just make a tiny adjustment if needed with the hand holding the fore end moving forward a touch to compensate for the length.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always buy another stock, slightly shorter and just swap them over.  :)

I had to laugh because although not wearing a vest rather a pouch, that would be my old man - it has to be extremely cold for him to wear a fleece even.  There are so many modern materials now that most winter outdoors clothing can be quite thin although keep you toasty.  

I had to laugh because although not wearing a vest rather a pouch, that would be my old man - it has to be extremely cold for him to wear a fleece even.  There are so many modern materials now that most winter outdoors clothing can be quite thin although keep you toasty.  
There's some Hard B***ards out there I know. I'm more of a Tweeds Man when the mercury has fallen out of the thermometer. I have 2 recoil pads. One for hot days (Thin) and one for cold days (Thick). Works for me and cost next to nothing.

By the way, moving your hand on the fore-end will not alter your stock length any more than standing on one leg! Where does this "information" come from???

By the way, moving your hand on the fore-end will not alter your stock length any more than standing on one leg! Where does this "information" come from???
It's more of a subtle help than a cure obviously but don't knock it till you've tried it.  :wink:  Almost every single champion / coach has at some point touched on this very subject.  :smile:

Strangely, this bloke didn't mention once, moving the hand on the fore-end to increase/decrease stock length, and he seems to know what he's talking about.
This article is taken from Fieldsports Magazine website. See the section highlighted in Red. He even mentions wearing thicker clothing in the winter. Funny that?

I suppose that as he isn't spouting promotion for his new, radical shooting method DVD, or won a World Championship, he lacks credibility??

The phrase "Don't believe the hype" springs to mind. Many people (still) think the worlds is flat, but that doesn't make it right.

Isn't it about time we remembered there's a lot of impressionable beginners on here and actually tried to help them, instead of having a laugh at their expense?

Santa 2512 asked a serious question, below is a serious answer, and the reasons why, but make of it what you will in the knowledge that you will work it out eventually for yourself. (Perhaps?) :)

I will not comment any further on this subject as I have a life.

Gun fitting - with Simon Ward
fitting_main.jpg

Simon Ward on the simple route to better shooting - getting your gun fitted. Here he explains the benefits of having a gun that fits you properly and what to look out for.

The Greats always knew it, but increasingly more and more are discovering that gunfit holds an important key to good shooting. 

But having a gun professionally fitted will only be of real benefit if you have learnt to consistently mount your gun smoothly and accurately onto a moving object. Your master eye is the backsight of your gun so good gunmounting is paramount to your success. I mention this at the outset in order that you get the most out of a gunfitting.

The fit of your gun comes in three stages.

Stock length
There are three important stock measurements but the one which most people refer to is the length, which is the distance from the trigger blade to the centre of the butt of the stock, normally anywhere between 14½” to 15¼”. But while these are average lengths, it should be remembered that ¼” can make a lot of difference to both comfort and accuracy. You may be partridge shooting in a cotton shooting vest in early autumn, but by mid-winter you might be wearing thermals, a thick sweater and waterproof coat, which could add anything from 1/8” to ½”.  To resolve this dilemma the simple solution is to have a recoil pad fitted into your shooting vest. This will automatically add anything up to ¼” which will compensate for not wearing your usual winter shooting garb. It will also give you kinder shooting on those hotter days.

Gunmounting is difficult with a short stock - the gun is not so controllable and likely to give the user some knocks. While a stock which is too long will result in the user mounting the butt onto the end of his/her arm as opposed to in the shoulder pocket. In which case both the cast and drop measurements will work against you, and definitely not for you.

Your master eye will be out of alignment at the breech, looking down the side of the rib rather than the centre. The eye will be lower than it should be, the drop measurement increased, the cast in effect reduced.

I mentioned that there were three stock measurements - centre, heel and toe. Reducing the toe measurement can be helpful for ladies or men who are fuller in the chest, and make it easier to achieve good contact in the shoulder pocket.

If its so cold that you need such thick clothing then don't bother to shoot, go to the pub instead! Works for me!

Ian,

I'm not doubting Simon Wards's gun fitting expertise, in fact my post does not refer to gun fitting in any case  :smile:  but if you have yet to come across world champions and world class coaches making mention of hand placement on the fore end being able not only to affect barrel speed but also as a handy tool to reduce the negative effects of too long a stock  :wink:  then I'm afraid it's simply through lack of sufficient experience. 

You're confusing gun fit with a subtle trick of the trade.

Fitting a recoil pad in your clothing is hideous in my book. You will never feel the gun in the shoulder pocket. 

Thanks people, there is a lot of food for thought there. I like the idea of a winter stock or perhaps a proper gunfit in an attempt to get the definitive answer. Thanks for all the input.

Have a look at Renato Lamera's books, aimed at trap shooting, but this guy knows his stuff.

A stock should be 5 - 10mm longer in winter, to allow for the difference in light angle, a short stock in winter will make you flash or jump at targets, as the brain reads the angle incorrectly due to the low angle of the sun, the longer stock slows you down slightly and steadies you up.  So in reality, leave the gun as is and put on your warm coat/jumper, only time you will struggle is if you are shooting gun down disciplines...

Latest posts

Back