Quietest .22LR Moderator

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Chippy says - SAK - don’t waste your hard earned on anything else ?

Hi Guys

Suggestions for above please?
When I had a bolt action LR I tested the Parker Hale that came with it against a much smaller/slimmer nondescript one a friend gave me and the difference in sound reduction was negligible if barely even detectable. The biggest noise when using these rifles is the sound of impact of the bullet head either on the quarry or the background, doubt very much if the rabbits sitting nearby would react differently from one moderator to another. 

A couple of years ago I changed my trusty Brno for a fancy semi automatic and kept the silencer which is the same diameter as the bull barrel :cool:  on the new Remington YellowJacket, again the "noise" produced with several different silencers proved similar and mainly from the action itself. 

I am fussy though with air gun mods because the difference between silencers can be quite marked particularly when using FAC power levels which makes for more peaceful practice sessions. 

Variation on a theme... as I have an Atac Wave for HMR and a slot for mod on this and 22 and I store guns with mod off and won’t use HMR and 22 at same time ...... as the wave suits 22 and 17, do I actually need another mod??

As long as your Atec isn’t caliber specific it’s fine to use on both - remember to give it a good clean once in a while if it’s been on your HMR as they’re very dirty ?

As long as your Atec isn’t caliber specific it’s fine to use on both - remember to give it a good clean once in a while if it’s been on your HMR as they’re very dirty ?
Many thanks.. hadn’t appreciated that they get dirty.. the Wave is suitable for 22 and 17 according to instructions

If the wording on your FAC says 17hmr sound moderator i think you will have to put in a variation to use the same moderator on your 22lr. 

If the wording on your FAC says 17hmr sound moderator i think you will have to put in a variation to use the same moderator on your 22lr. 
I have a slot  for mods for both calibres but the mod isn’t unique by serial number so I’m struggling to see how anyone apart from gun shop would care!

Last edited by a moderator:
The wording on your certificate is VERY important. If you fill the slot for 17hmr moderator you only have a 17hmr moderator.

You could buy a SAK moderator to use on an air rifle without an FAC but just because you own the moderator you couldn't legally use it on any of your firearms even if you have slot for a moderator on your FAC. 

Check with someone you trust regarding firearms before you use your moderator on your 22LR. I'm only a stranger on the internet

The wording on your certificate is VERY important. If you fill the slot for 17hmr moderator you only have a 17hmr moderator.

You could buy a SAK moderator to use on an air rifle without an FAC but just because you own the moderator you couldn't legally use it on any of your firearms even if you have slot for a moderator on your FAC. 

Check with someone you trust regarding firearms before you use your moderator on your 22LR. I'm only a stranger on the internet
Ok, thanks, I follow your logic.. makes no sense but that follows firearms legislation protocol so is more than likely correct..

Back