Prolonged concentration tips and suggestions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decathlon do quite a massive range of sports drinks,additives and snacks.

i bought a selection of them at the beginning of the summer for long days out shooting and they seemed to have helped when i remember i have them.

I have regularly been taking a dissolvable electrolytic type at the beginning of the day seems to work for me + the odd energy jelly.

Fairly cheap so worth a try.

problem with lots of water (when your a certain age) is lots of comfort breaks are required ?

apparently ?

If not water I usually have a thermos of hot Earl Gey [black with a little sugar] for winter and chilled for summer.

If not water I usually have a thermos of hot Earl Gey [black with a little sugar] for winter and chilled for summer.
that's much more posh than my thermos of bovril. Prefer lady grey myself ?

Hi Guys 

This may help

I spend a lot of time in South Australia  and at times it can get oppressively hot

it's against the rules to start a shoot if temperature is above 38deg

A lot of Grounds will only shoot 75 targets (fitasc) witch believe me at times is enough 

Well one weekend we shot a National Comp 150 targets over the two days well on the Sunday I became so dehydrated  could not hit a barn door 

The Club secretary tuck me to one side and said to me

Drink a lot of water (can't remember how much) for two days before the shoot and on the day of the shoot he said by the time you're feeling thirsty  it's to late

Pommy Dave

problem with lots of water (when your a certain age) is lots of comfort breaks are required ?

apparently ?
Haha happens me and im only 33. Its a disaster being equipped with a bladder the size of a golf ball  :p

I would agree with above . neutral focus of the tree line or something the distance and keep hydrated . i usually munch on a handful of mixed fruit and nuts between houses aswell .keeps the energy levels fairly even and high

Last edited by a moderator:
We have shot in Cape Town several times now and it's always HOT.  The locals always tell us we must have a bottle of water/ juice every layout or 25 targets, just keep drinking and drinking.  If you are dehydrated you end up getting headaches and loss of concentration, saying that we both shot Hepworth Hall on Sunday and it was hot, we both drank plenty then shot Southdown yesterday where it was even hotter.  Both had a 1.5 litre bottle of water which we drank on way round but still felt absolutely shattered by the end of the round and many people we spoke to said the same.  Even though we drank plenty Phil has been in bed all day today feeling ill and looking up symptoms has mild sunstroke.  

Being a lady of a certain age, with the dreaded menopause upon me it doesn't take much for me to loose concentration which is one symptom.  I can look at a target, have it in my mind the hold point, kill point, how my feet should be etc then I get in stand and I can't even remember my own name let alone where the effing targets are coming from or anything else, so I think I maybe wasting my time at the moment full stop!!!  Either that or take the sloe gin around with me ? May not make me shoot better but I may be in a better frame of mind on way home. 

We have shot in Cape Town several times now and it's always HOT.  The locals always tell us we must have a bottle of water/ juice every layout or 25 targets, just keep drinking and drinking.  If you are dehydrated you end up getting headaches and loss of concentration, saying that we both shot Hepworth Hall on Sunday and it was hot, we both drank plenty then shot Southdown yesterday where it was even hotter.  Both had a 1.5 litre bottle of water which we drank on way round but still felt absolutely shattered by the end of the round and many people we spoke to said the same.  Even though we drank plenty Phil has been in bed all day today feeling ill and looking up symptoms has mild sunstroke.  

Being a lady of a certain age, with the dreaded menopause upon me it doesn't take much for me to loose concentration which is one symptom.  I can look at a target, have it in my mind the hold point, kill point, how my feet should be etc then I get in stand and I can't even remember my own name let alone where the effing targets are coming from or anything else, so I think I maybe wasting my time at the moment full stop!!!  Either that or take the sloe gin around with me ? May not make me shoot better but I may be in a better frame of mind on way home. 
It was horribly hot, humid and sticky.  I hear what you say about menopause ?  

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but good nutrition, not being overweight and regular exercise help with both concentration levels and in coping with hot weather.

I'm really not a fan of swallowing a peculiar looking blue 'performance enhancing' liquid made by some food industry boffin with a new chemistry, set but I can suggest taking 'B' complex vitamins and 'Omega 3'. Both of which are useful supplements for improving concentration.

red thunder from aldi. Just saying.

cheaper than red bull ?

Can't stand those Red Bull type drinks. Much prefer a good double expresso but that can be a tad tricky on a shoot 

ah, well now aldi also do a very good nespresso compatible esspresso thing. Red thunder in the morning, couple of espresso in the afternoon.....job done ?

Bialetti for me 

244-78004438-ES060200_M

Coffee of choice - Kimbo

Napoletano_large.jpg

Plenty of fresh water and every now and then a few dates... de-stoned are best as you won't bust yer teeth :lol:  yes you piss a lot but the alternative to not keeping properly hydrated is just stupidity.

edit   Espresso ... got to be LavAzza  !

Last edited by a moderator:
your just showing off now ?

wonder if it would brew on top of me log burner ?

ps

Mrs ips informs me her mother used to have one of your fancy kettle things so were talking 1960s possibly 50s ...art decco revival one assumes ?

They are still sold and very popular - makes brilliant coffee.  I have three different sizes depending company and whether I wanted an expresso or a longer coffee

Back