Progress with aims

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@p1 im only just focusing on skeet (i have shot 25 straight in practice though) for me if i miss H1 or L7 its always wrong hold point. Too high on 1 and too low on 7 leading to a slash through.

I sometimes wonder if fixating on your averages can put undue pressure on even in a normal sunday comp. It can make you try so hard to get those extra few targets to get you up a class that you shoot worse. We all know what happens when you start trying, yes.

I think its worse now that we aork on a 6 month system, in the old days we only had this worry once a year and unless you kept a record of your scores and had a masters degree in maths you couldnt work out what your averages were anyway. For those of you relatively young or new to the sport a ruddy great thick book used to get delivered to each club and you had to find your name and then your class. Much less stress in those days.

Agreed Newbie, i think its to stop derailing but would be good to be able to lock it to anyone apart from original poster or admin. Just leave likes available. I am going to do a "Fuzrat, a journey into a new discipline" thread for my foray into skeet and would be nice to keep it as a straight blog type post without having to start a new thread each week :D
I might have a solution for this.... just need to figure out some technical.

I try to judge not based on outright score but on how I feel I performed as a whole. I break misses down into acceptable/excusable (mis read lead/line, wind affected etc), and silly mistakes (rushed shot, poor preparation, lack of/excessive focus etc).

I was in a good run of form, only really making 1-2 silly mistakes per 100 and consequently was winning stuff (think i did 7 out of 8 high guns which was pretty handy). then had 2 consecutive shoots (weston wood ang Garlands) where the silly mistakes increased a great deal. I took this as a bit of a queue to put the gun away for a few weeks as selection shoots, worlds in texas etc etc were looming and Id rather go into them fresh than feeling im on the edge of a slump. Hopefully this will do the trick, it usually does as I come into it a bit keener and more focussed.

I always think focussing on a specific number as a target is more of a hinderance to performance as opposed to a help. Big numers on a softer course can lead you to believe everything is fine even though you may have some gaps that need filling (ooh err).

Totally agree Ed. To see 'if I did well' I look how far down the results list I came, not at the score. Although the score is of direct interest due to going up a grade potentially, which is not on your radar..

As you say, there is an inevitable number of 'silly misses' that happen. For me it is about three or four on a good shoot, five or six usually and more on a disaster. Sounds a lot! I am sure that psychologically we should have a different term than 'silly'. Answers on a postcard..

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree totally with Clever and Ed, usually 3-4 silly errors that I threw away through poor mount , rushing not looking at the menu etc then if my Zen like state of mind carries me foward to the end of the shoot, I shoot around my average. Other targets lost due to lack of experience 

focusing on class averages, numbers or "i should be better than this" ends in disaster

@p1 im only just focusing on skeet (i have shot 25 straight in practice though) for me if i miss H1 or L7 its always wrong hold point. Too high on 1 and too low on 7 leading to a slash through.
Fuz your there already h1 and l7 are bread and butter shots concentrate and youll hit them practise the shot off the range in your head. Its when your missing station 4 pairs that's where the wheels come off

Agree with ed and clever its not your score that matters is its your performance on the day compared to the others that matters. Shooting trap on a windy winter day with hard targets can leave you demoralized until you see the score board and realise you actually shot well. Trouble is it really hurts your averages too shoot on such days.

I agree totally with Clever and Ed, usually 3-4 silly errors that I threw away through poor mount , rushing not looking at the menu etc then if my Zen like state of mind carries me foward to the end of the shoot, I shoot around my average. Other targets lost due to lack of experience 

focusing on class averages, numbers or "i should be better than this" ends in disaster
I was to focused on chasing averages last year Gav and it all went tits up .. I've now learnt to just go out and shoot with good company and enjoy the course, if I have a bad stand ( which I do ;) ) I just move on to the next and except that what ever will be will be .

I never look at my card untill I've finished the round so I never know my score, but do have some idea of how it's going on the way round .. adding up at the end can be a surprise though .. sometimes better than I thought and some times worse than I thought ... but there's always a next week to try again :)

See them..https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA%20Class%20Bandings%20Issue%2043.pdf
See them..https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA%20Class%20Bandings%20Issue%2043.pdf
Thanks for that. Ouchy for ESK. 88.8 needed to get into B. Think my target of clearing a round of 25 is more achievable .. Some lessons and a lot more practice required.

Agree with ed and clever its not your score that matters is its your performance on the day compared to the others that matters. Shooting trap on a windy winter day with hard targets can leave you demoralized until you see the score board and realise you actually shot well. Trouble is it really hurts your averages too shoot on such days.
Ian, just don't shoot on those days mate! Simples.... :eek:k:

There are two sides to it. How you really shot (compared to all the others) is the one that matters 'in your soul'. However, the CPSA only know scores when it comes to grading you..

This is why I believe you should be graded by how far down the list you are, not the number of clays hit.

This is why I believe you should be graded by how far down the list you are, not the number of clays hit.
I bet the end results would still be similar to now so long a you take a big enough sample and not just 2-3 shoots.

I bet the end results would still be similar to now so long a you take a big enough sample and not just 2-3 shoots.
They are actually, having had a fairly good look. The present system ain't that bad on a season long basis..

I know Pal but I just need to pull the trigger :)

From end of sept this year I will only shoot practice over winter, and the occasional DTL just for a bit of fun. 

I'm rather stagnant, floating around in the middle of A Class.

I think I could get into AA but only by concentrating on two or three grounds (like many do :p )

I try to vary the grounds as much as possible and shoot the tougher ones if I can, but progress is desperately slow. <_<

I'm rather stagnant, floating around in the middle of A Class.

I think I could get into AA but only by concentrating on two or three grounds (like many do :p )

I try to vary the grounds as much as possible and shoot the tougher ones if I can, but progress is desperately slow. <_<
Looking at your CPSA number, you haven't been at it very long. Like you, i do lots of grounds. I found that after 5+ years, my averages took a step forward. It wasn't that I put in much higher best scores; more that I stopped having so many low ones. Experience plugs a lot of holes rather than produces genius.

Back