Podimore 7/4

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspire

Fairly steady shoot,the wind made it difficult in places. It took us around 1hr 45mins to shoot the first 4 stands because of queues and the amount of no birds was absurd! I think it was stand 6 (incoming mini) my first 7 birds out were 'no birds' and then 3 or 4 more during the same stand...held in for an 8/10. I shot the hard stands well,straighting a l/r quartering away,dropping sim pair,and dropped some easier targets....and also dropped my last bird on a couple of stands. (Glanced back at gun to double check...fool) Was faring quite well with only 3 stands to go.....sat down and had a little break before shooting the last 3. First stand back out dropped 6/10

Last edited by a moderator:
From what you told me,you haven't really been 'shooting' since Christmas
It's true mate.  Something's wrong.  One good score at the only Fitasc I entered this year, the rest have been pants.  Going down to Somerset on Friday to see my little mate and get some help.  Fingers crossed... :rabbi:   

Go and get that gun fitted :eek:

You've not been shooting well since you changed your stock :frantics:

Put it on a pattern plate and shoot some low house skeet/going away. Mounting in the mirror can be too contrived if you're stood there thinking about face position,head position etc. Mounting when shooting,you're not thinking like that,so chances are you could still be contorting yourself to make the gun fit.....as you used to before you actually had it fitted. As I told you before,when I had mine fitted,next time out I shot my worst ever score of 56!!....because I was trying to shoot it like I had been. I recognised the problem and after several shoots I matched,and then progressed past my previous scores.....you'll get there mate.

Go and get that gun fitted :eek:

You've not been shooting well since you changed your stock :frantics:
Yep, seems a bit coincidental, dunnit?

But, the gun WAS fitted.  It's a purpose-made, custom stock.  I shot it with the stocker, he adjusted it, I shot again and so on - I spent half a day with him.  When I dry mount with my eyes closed, open my eyes and I'm dead straight down the rib, seeing the right amount of rib.  He's a top bloke, good coach, very good shot, and I get on very well with him.  I'm going to see him on Friday, so we'll see what happens.

Of course, it could just be that I'm a crap shootist!!

I'll let you know how it goes, then I'll kick your ass at Wylye next Sunday! :spiteful:   :hunter:

Last edited by a moderator:
Put it on a pattern plate and shoot some low house skeet/going away. Mounting in the mirror can be too contrived if you're stood there thinking about face position,head position etc. Mounting when shooting,you're not thinking like that,so chances are you could still be contorting yourself to make the gun fit.....as you used to before you actually had it fitted. As I told you before,when I had mine fitted,next time out I shot my worst ever score of 56!!....because I was trying to shoot it like I had been. I recognised the problem and after several shoots I matched,and then progressed past my previous scores.....you'll get there mate.
Thanks mate.  

I know what you mean.  This is all still quite new to me, so I'm taking it one step at a time.  Shoot with the stocker on Friday, may pattern plate at OLSS on Saturday, see what happens.  I guess the biggest thing is to chill out about it all, stop trying so hard.

Hey ho, wouldn't life be boring if we could all go out and straight a shoot every week! 

Yep, seems a bit coincidental, dunnit?

But, the gun WAS fitted.  It's a purpose-made, custom stock.  I shot it with the stocker, he adjusted it, I shot again and so on - I spent half a day with him.  When I dry mount with my eyes closed, open my eyes and I'm dead straight down the rib, seeing the right amount of rib.  He's a top bloke, good coach, very good shot, and I get on very well with him.  I'm going to see him on Friday, so we'll see what happens.

Of course, it could just be that I'm a crap shootist!!

I'll let you know how it goes, then I'll kick your ass at Wylye next Sunday! :spiteful:   :hunter:
Or it could be that the stock is 'spot on' but you had developed a style that worked with the previous stock. In anger you may be doing the 'old thing' which is now unnecessary. Hope I haven't lost you.. I would suggest getting somebody who knows what's what to shoot a round with you and see if there is a common error on many shots..

Maybe coincidence but you were shooting well just before you changed it,chasing that elusive 8 at the front and getting close, then in your own words it's been pants.

Hope you get it sorted mate and get back on form. :hunter:

Remember when you pattern it,don't pre mount and aim....defeats the purpose. Just look at the plate,mount and shoot without looking back to the bead.

Clever.....that's the exact point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Or it could be that the stock is 'spot on' but you had developed a style that worked with the previous stock. In anger you may be doing the 'old thing' which is now unnecessary. Hope I haven't lost you.. I would suggest getting somebody who knows what's what to shoot a round with you and see if there is a common error on many shots..
I know what you're saying, Will.  It's all rather confusing though.  Chris Pratt at OLSS has buttoned for me quite a few times, and a few weeks ago he remarked that my kill rate had improved vastly (and he's a bit handy!).  So maybe it's the psychological thing with competition?  I don't feel like I'm stressed or anything remotely like it, but I guess you can try too hard?  Again, the stocker understands this stuff, so a day with him may well set me back on the right path.

The next step may well be a few sessions with Tanya Faulds to work on the head stuff!

Actually feeling quite upbeat about it all, now I have a plan.  ;)

I know what you're saying, Will.  It's all rather confusing though.  Chris Pratt at OLSS has buttoned for me quite a few times, and a few weeks ago he remarked that my kill rate had improved vastly (and he's a bit handy!).  So maybe it's the psychological thing with competition?  I don't feel like I'm stressed or anything remotely like it, but I guess you can try too hard?  Again, the stocker understands this stuff, so a day with him may well set me back on the right path.

The next step may well be a few sessions with Tanya Faulds to work on the head stuff!

Actually feeling quite upbeat about it all, now I have a plan.  ;)
Good man. Just blatting away and hoping is for fools. Get cross, get a plan, get a result.

Now look dad!! (Tony) dont beat ya self up it wasn't long ago you did the double at weston/Wylye !!!! Give ya self time my old friend last few months have been tougher than normal for ya mate...your a steady shot and will soon find ya mojo again...all the best bud and see ya at wylye sunday....:)

Latest posts

Back