Perazzi stock finish

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJJ

I have an Mx12 with the 'lacquered finish' it has a couple of marks on it and i would like to just touch it up to remove them (no comments please)

Could anyone tell me what type of material is used to finish Perazzi stocks/forends

IE - Lacquer/polyurethane/varnish etc - Its not oiled finished

I do not want to just use any clear finish as it could react if its not compatible  

Thanks for any info

post-2976-0-80476200-1423574438.jpg

Marks chips and scratches look like this :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know but I would guess polyurethane too.

If the finish is not chipped, only marred or lightly scratched, then some 800/1200 grit wet and dry (well soaked) wrapped around a pencil rubber, will remove them and allow you to then, got to 2000 grit and buff it out with some compound.  This is what you would have to do, to blend in new lacquer, so you may as well try it first.

An alternative to lacquer, is thin (thin) super glue (cyanoacrylate), layer it on then level it, and polish it up (polishes up like glass, I have seen whole wooden knife handles done this way, look amazing) 

If the finish is not chipped, only marred or lightly scratched, then some 800/1200 grit wet and dry (well soaked) wrapped around a pencil rubber, will remove them and allow you to then, got to 2000 grit and buff it out with some compound.  This is what you would have to do, to blend in new lacquer, so you may as well try it first.

An alternative to lacquer, is thin (thin) super glue (cyanoacrylate), layer it on then level it, and polish it up (polishes up like glass, I have seen whole wooden knife handles done this way, look amazing) 
Thanks Skeet, but i know how to cut back etc. I wanted to fill the marks first rather than polish them out/away as this would make the finish a bit thin.

Hence wanting to know what was used. 

Thanks Skeet, but i know how to cut back etc. I wanted to fill the marks first rather than polish them out/away as this would make the finish a bit thin.

Hence wanting to know what was used.
Cool. Well yeah, then it leaves you to decide which poly to go for.

You may be able to get a small amount of 2k at a local place.

You could try some Rustins Plastic Coating (sounds crap, works lovely)

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/rustins-plastic-coating-straight-from-the-horses-mouth-t61190.html

Personally, I would try the super glue first! :)

Latest posts

Back