Perazzi MX8 Old Style Top Lever

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnylizzy

Hi guys. I just got a lovely old MX8 in great condition. It's a '78 and is a type 4 forend with a type 3 (for lack of a better description) reciever, it has the top lever trip at 12 o'clock. It could possibly do with a top lever return spring. I see there are plenty of instructions online for replacing the spring on the newer type top lever but nothing on the older type. Anyone know how one goes about changing said spring? Also, are the top lever and locking block the same or interchangeable on the type 3 and type 4 recievers????

Thanks a mill guys.

Take the barrels, trigger, and stock off.  Release the top lever so the lever is at 6o'clock  and the catch NOT engaged.  Remove the firing pins AND their springs.  Turn the action over and you'll see a hole in the locking bar.  Drop a proper sized punch in there and gently tap on that with the action cupped in your hand to catch the spring loaded plunger that lurks in the front of the top lever sorta on the right side.  I have no idea what the spring replacement instruction on line look like but going from where you are now will work.  When the lever is fully removed make sure you also remove the actuating plunger in the action that the barrel presses on as that thing is just WAY easy to lose and to forget to re-install.  Don't ask me how I know that.  And load the top lever return spring with a good quality grease as it will be in there for some time and difficult to lube.  Re-assembly is just like the later type (don't forget the actuating plunger in the action!!!) except when tapping the top lever in stop when the hole for the plunger is just at the top of the action.  Grease up the spring and plunger and stuff them in the hole and tap the lever the rest of the way down.

The lever and locking block are common to all O/U Perazzis.  'Cept for the hole for the plunger in the T3's of course.

I strip and clean all my Perazzis once a year.  The gun was designed to be easily maintained and it is only a couple hrs to take the things totally down, clean and re-assemble.  Way easy to accommodate once a year.  And I load every recess captured spring with grease cuz I'm a just perfectly lovable person these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Wonko, that's perfect. I really appreciate you taking the time to write that response. 

Cheers 

Latest posts

Back