Pattern plate

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To give an alternative view, just for completeness sake....

This is at best a highly dubious exercise, which is likely give you very misleading results.  I know the perceived wisdom on t'internet, if it does not work out for you just remember the pattern plate may be the problem not the solution.

If it does not work out for you, don't faff about forever go to a (really) good instructor and get him to help you set it up. It is about the sight picture when you are breaking targets, not the sight picture when you have an artificial mount on the pattern plate. It is perhaps a decent starter for 10 but it is breaking targets that count.

Many a crap bespoke stock has been carefully crafted on the pattern plate.

Been there recently and f***ed up my adjustments completely.  Looked perfect but in reality was total bollocks. Amazing.

To give an alternative view, just for completeness sake....

This is at best a highly dubious exercise, which is likely give you very misleading results.  I know the perceived wisdom on t'internet, if it does not work out for you just remember the pattern plate may be the problem not the solution.

If it does not work out for you, don't faff about forever go to a (really) good instructor and get him to help you set it up. It is about the sight picture when you are breaking targets, not the sight picture when you have an artificial mount on the pattern plate. It is perhaps a decent starter for 10 but it is breaking targets that count.

Many a crap bespoke stock has been carefully crafted on the pattern plate.

Been there recently and f***ed up my adjustments completely.  Looked perfect but in reality was total bollocks. Amazing.
Try Chris Bird at Holland and Holland - you might get a cancellation while their '2 hours for the price of 1' is on, for a top instructor.  I spent nearly an hour with him on the p.p. and it was time very well spent - he got me shooting straight, and therefore far more confidently.  Highly recommended.

This has been a really fascinatin' discussion!  These sorts of info exchanges always make me so wanting to be able to contribute, but I will not be tempted to stray from my firm resolution to avoid any talk of POI/POA and all that sort of rot since we all know that those subjects are just a load of bollocks anyway.

bless you all for trying tho 

So.....

If I was to go to a range that offers pattern plate use with 2 boards for £5 would it be worth putting a cartridge through both chokes at 30 yards to see what the patterning is like with my cartridge/choke combo?

So.....

If I was to go to a range that offers pattern plate use with 2 boards for £5 would it be worth putting a cartridge through both chokes at 30 yards to see what the patterning is like with my cartridge/choke combo?
Why not. Do 20 yards though.

If you really did want to take up knitting I have some great resources I could share with you! ;)

Latest posts

Back