Pain in the neck.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick, Yes I have, he reckons around 6 months, but I think he is more concerned about the effects of recoil. He did add that everyone is different and it may be less or could be more, dependant on the person. I am struggling with some of the exercises at present, I have great difficulty in getting my arm above my head, without some assistance from my good arm. They overdid things last Thursday at the Physio session and I was 2 days getting some mobility back into my right arm. Most of the exercises are in 'tens' and I am just giving them 5's at present, it is only just over 2 weeks since the op.
Go with what your surgeon says and listen to your physio but it's better to be doing sets of 5 reps than none. Best of luck with it all and don't rush your rehab.

his eye sight must have been effected also as 19hrs and still no reply :)

Westley how is the healing process going?
Sorry Guy's please excuse my manners, we have decorators in at the moment and talk about bloody Picasso with a roller ! Well, if I said that today is 5 weeks since my op and I have never experienced anything so painful as my shoulder at present, I would not be exaggerating. I have dislocated the same shoulder twice in the past but that pain only lasted a few days and then back to normal, this just seems to be dragging on and on,  but I am led to believe that things are going OK. I spoke to another patient at physio last week, he tells me that he has already had one shoulder sorted and has now had the other side done. He was 12 weeks before he had some mobility and the pain ceased. I really needed to hear that !  I am keeping up with the exercises,  (Nick take note ) but at this time, some of those are impossible to complete. I realised after the op that I had missed an ideal opportunity really, I should have got the surgeon to install one of those gel pad thngs in my shoulder whilst he was poking around in there...............recoil, a thing of the past, sorted  ?  I really do appreciate all of your posts of support, including those who have ' been there and got the T shirt '. Sorry again for the delay, dodging the painter.

hope you get back to good health soon

let me know when your shooting again and I will come down for some sporting mallarkey.

hope you get back to good health soon

let me know when your shooting again and I will come down for some sporting mallarkey.
Hey ips, I went to a fishy place last Sunday, just for a nose (never having been there). I was watching the ball trap and it sort of rekindled the old Westhoughton days. Bamfords have a very nice Remmie 1100 Trap on the shelf for not a lot of money and I got to thinking...............................well I need something to help me pass the downtime !  Remmie 1100, maroon mesh vest, 3/4 shorts (legs like an AA map), white trainers, white socks with maroon stripes, can't wait for the summer ! 

Sorry to hear you still have pain.
Thanks Sian, I have to say that I have reduced the dosage of the prescribed painkillers, I was a bit worried about becoming 'hooked' on them so have tried to take fewer in a 24 hour period which coupled with the exercises,  has led to my feeling things a bit more I suppose. I have only just started driving again so the fewer pills that I take, the better.

westley

those were the days. Ruddy autos everywhere spitting trap 200 all over the place :)

the abt at fish is just about as hard as it gets but it ain't abt as we know it.

Coniston are sposed to have there abt and poss ut up and running.

westley

those were the days. Ruddy autos everywhere spitting trap 200 all over the place :)

the abt at fish is just about as hard as it gets but it ain't abt as we know it.

Coniston are sposed to have there abt and poss ut up and running.
I struggle to shoot well at Coniston Hall, I can't help thinking that I should be out in a boat on their lake, fishing for the Browns that it holds !

Sorry Guy's please excuse my manners, we have decorators in at the moment and talk about bloody Picasso with a roller ! Well, if I said that today is 5 weeks since my op and I have never experienced anything so painful as my shoulder at present, I would not be exaggerating. I have dislocated the same shoulder twice in the past but that pain only lasted a few days and then back to normal, this just seems to be dragging on and on,  but I am led to believe that things are going OK. I spoke to another patient at physio last week, he tells me that he has already had one shoulder sorted and has now had the other side done. He was 12 weeks before he had some mobility and the pain ceased. I really needed to hear that !  I am keeping up with the exercises,  (Nick take note ) but at this time, some of those are impossible to complete. I realised after the op that I had missed an ideal opportunity really, I should have got the surgeon to install one of those gel pad thngs in my shoulder whilst he was poking around in there...............recoil, a thing of the past, sorted  ?  I really do appreciate all of your posts of support, ko those who have ' been there and got the T shirt '. Sorry again for the delay, dodging the painter.
Sorry to learn your still in pain Westley

thought you had been a bit quit about your shoulder

You're not been helping the Decorator have you ?? sorry ??

I suppose all our injury's are different .

Suppose you will have to keep the Phyiso up if you haven't got full movement 

Good Idea about the gel pad though  

you could have had a boob implant on your shoulder  NHS do that now don't they? You could have said you were a tranny!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David,

No, not been helping painter but have been trying to cut back a bit on the pain killers. I have only tried driving a couple of times but have ended up in such pain that I gave that up as a bad job.  Having spoken to others who have had the op, it would seem it takes longer the older you are, but the Surgeon did say he had removed quite a bit of the bone. So keep taking less of the tablets and more of the exercises, I have to be able to at least do 1 days game shooting in mid January, even if I have to use the 28 bore and 16 grams of 6's.

Well, suffered a slight relapse today !  I had been dragged around market and shops this morning to ease the terrible ear ache that I appear to be suffering since my op. I was  carrying a rather large box with new toaster back to car and could feel shoulder starting to ache a bit. Once home, I got the "The grass has really grown with all this mild weather" routine,  which was met with an emphatic NO. (I am trying to get fit to shoot in January, remember).  A short while later  I could hear the sound of an electric lawnmower and looking out could see SWMBO cutting grass, so I upped the volume on Hi-Fi and settled back down again. It was not long before I could see the long streaks of raindrops down the window. I looked out and could see SWMBO now moving faster than she has done for some time, up and down the front lawn. I really felt for her, struggling to get the grass finished before the rain became really heavy. Suddenly I had a brainwave, I had just what she needed in a corner of the gunroom....................................if anyone has a large golf umbrella that they no longer require, mine has now taken on a totally different appearance and my shoulder is now REALLY painful !   What is it with Women ?  you try and help and all you get is abuse.

Well, the latest is, I was written off by the Surgeon today (just the latest in a long line). Keep up the physio and contact your own GP in case of a relapse. No Official line on when I can resume my shooting, but I somehow feel it will not be this year. Back at physio on Friday. I have got some 70% of mobility back in my shoulder, but if I catch it right, it still hurts like hell. Only taking pain killers at night now and hoping to drop them too, this week. Still struggling to get my right elbow as high as I would usually, when mounting my gun. I will just have to adopt a 'Trapshooters' approach and drop the elbow a bit, until things improve. So it is looking like no Christmas shoots this year, the first time in over 55 years. I hope to have enough movement back to take the Grandkids clayshooting on the 'Boxing Day' shoot though.

Once again I thank everyone for their kindness and support, it really has been of help and reminds me of the camaraderie and fluffy rabbits that I miss so much, at the shooting ground.

Fluffy bloomin Rabbits ???? should have got some 6.5's shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot off the Press :-

I went to North Wales Shooting School on Wednesday with 2 other Pensioners and I took the Grandkids 28 bore Yildiz with some 15 gram cartridges. As there was nobody on the OT that I could annoy :wink:  I had to make do with some high tower and skeet targets. I fired some 15 cartridges in lots of 3's or 4's with breaks in between. I did not miss many and finished with a 4 straight on the tower. As I did not have any 6.5's shot, I gave the rabbits a miss though. So, I am hoping that things will have improved sufficiently for me to take my 20 bore and 25 gram cartridges on the Pheasant shoot in January. I am keeping up with the exercises and have almost dropped the painkillers. I was a bit sore on Wednesday night, but more from carrying the gun and range bag than from any recoil.  I still struggle to get my right elbow as high as I would like and have adopted a more 'hunched' style of gun mounting, but I feel that will improve with time. Well there we are, life left in the old dog yet and the 'final drive' to the Vets has been put on hold.

I would have caddied your gun for you had I been there. Why don't you come one sat ?

I will even buy you a cuppa:)

Latest posts

Back