OT Barrel Length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnylizzy

What are your thoughts on this? I see most of the top shooters are using 29.5" or 30" barrels, is this because it's the odeal length for OT or is it due to an unwillingness to change, or "update" as it where, like the double trap guys with there long barrels and high ribs. Is 32" too long for OT? Less controllable or just seen as non purist?

Just curious

Cheers guys.

If something is not broken why try to fix it? Also the change of angles in a round of OT is incredible you have fifteen different angles against a couple for DT. There are different reasons for having a high rib in DT but mainly target acquisition I believe. If there really was an advantage in changing from what is currently the standard in OT someone would have by now?

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever your happy with is generally correct .... For you.

I used to use a 32" Miroku and am currently using a 32"(When the chokes are in it) Caesar Guerini at OT, doesn't hinder me in the slightest. 

I get the impression that the 30inch preference for OT comes from Italy where OT is the main game in town. Anything over 30 inch there is very rare apparently and seems to have been adopted by many OT shooters world wide. Maybe they like the pointability of shorter barrels but obviously barrel weight is another issue completely. Just because they are short does not mean they are light. Funnily enough I was chatting with a very capable OT shooter recently who had spent the last 6 months experimenting with 30 inch barrels (but effectively the same weight as his 32 inch barrels) and he has just reverted back to the 32 inch as he was happier with them. Go figure?

I guess ultimately it is down to personal preference and what you get used too.

DT

I prefer shooting my Miroku with 32" barrels that balances forward of the hinge pin rather than my Perazzi with 29.5" barrels which are extremely light and balances well to the rear of the hinge pin.  I've spent countless, fruitless hours lightening stocks, adding to lead weight to the barrels etc, etc, etc to get it to feel right and after 23 years have now given up with it.  The weight forward of the Miroku I find beneficial in steadying my swing, I wish I'd bought a Miroku years ago.

Shoot with what you feel comfortable and happy with, not what other people think you should shoot with. The Perazzi for many is a gun to aspire too, it won't necessarily work for you.  The old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' is perfectly true for shooting too.

40up has a very long one

just saying

40up has a very long one

just saying
​I'm not going to ask how it is that you have that information

And BTW, there is no "standard" anywhere.  I believe "common" or "generally used" may be more correct.  

Like DT said - whatever works

I've shot 70cm barrels as well as any 72cm or 75cm at OT, and any other game as well.  I've not come up with a light enough 80cm barrel to make me happy and so I just don't even bother with looking anymore.  There's no ballistic advantage to any of them and the old longer sighting plane BS is just that.

Like DT said - whatever works

I have never settled with 32 not because I consider they shoot particularly different to a 30 they just don't feel right in my hand even before I mount. So for me its 30" always.

I have Perazzi in 27.5, 28.5(720mm), 29.5(750mm), 30", 32", 34"(1680gm). I prefer the heaviest barrel. Each step up makes the previous length feel like a skeet gun. Most coaches recommend 30" for OT saying that direction change for second barrel is important. I consider Ian Peel's greatest improvement came with his move from 30" Browning to 32" Miroku (a mere 197/200 if I remember). His 2 x 200 straight at ABT were 15yrs apart so probably one with each. Somebody ask him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there when he did the one at cheddar in 98 I think it was the miroku but could be wrong. Will ask.

Well I've used 30 and 32 over the years and can miss very well with either of them. A few weeks ago I tried some 30 tubes on my k80 after using 32 for almost a year, all I can say is that I will stick to my 32 tubes, they seem to offer far more control, but its only my opinion of course.

forgot to say, our mr peel has done 2x200 straights at ABT he is one of the best trap shooters GB has ever produced (in fact he produced himself with no formal coaching afaik) which proves two things.

ABT is very difficult

Mr peel is a legend

forgot to say, our mr peel has done 2x200 straights at ABT he is one of the best trap shooters GB has ever produced (in fact he produced himself with no formal coaching afaik) which proves two things.

ABT is very difficult

Mr peel is a legend
​Amen to that, he's also a very nice bloke as you know, I met him a couple of times, smashing guy!

ABT is very difficult

Mr peel is a legend
Who's he?..  Bet he's not as good as the chap who  took all the Winter series money at our local ground. 

Not sure of his name, I think he's a Mr Kinnell.

Well,  I keep hearing Balltrap sayin..

Paul Kinnell,  he's won again.. 

ABT is very difficult

Mr peel is a legend
​40 up told me a great story,of a very good trap shooter who only did a few comps before winning a world title.

He didn't do enough to be told it was hard. 

Who's he?..  Bet he's not as good as the chap who  took all the Winter series money at our local ground. 

Not sure of his name, I think he's a Mr Kinnell.

Well,  I keep hearing Balltrap sayin..

Paul Kinnell,  he's won again.. 
​ :lol:  Ian ( Who )  

0b077a4c-03b0-4f34-8d7f-5ebe96619fb5_zpsooossvqk.jpg

Latest posts

Back