Oops help please!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

Decided to oil wifes gallery grade beretta stock and seemed to have messed it up a tad not sure what the original finish is but the oil stripped it off in patches leaving it looking very dull if anyone has any ideas would be greatly recieved and please no advice that includes sandpaper 2k's worth of wood and one unhappy wife to put right. :eek:   

Could have had a lacquered (?) finish? The better half's Guerini has it and it just gets Mr Sheen on it to shine it up. Could oiling it have stripped some of it off?

If you know a good french polisher time to buy them a pint!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely sounds like it had a lacquer on it, unless you are 100% confident of redoing the stock from scratch I would take it to a gunsmith to redo the stock in an oil finish. If you do it yourself you will need a lot of time, 000 grade steel wool, nitromorse, grain sealer, finishing oil and patience, if done properly its incredibly satisfying, if done not so properly its an expensive trip to a gunsmith :)

Are you sure its removed the laquer? It could be that the oil finish that you used has dried, I've had this were too much oil is put on and it dries, normally this can be rubbed away with your hand or a cloth.

What is the finish on a Beretta galley grade Gun?

I would have thought it would be an oiled finish to begin with. What type of oil have you used?

Depending on what it is it's possibly French Polish.

PM sent

Andy is right no way will it be laquer. Dont panic get some very fine wire wool and rub vigorously if it doesnt buff it up apply a small amount of stock oil and use the same vigorous technique with the wool. Then wipe the excess oil of with a cloth and use dry wire wool again.

If the above scares you get some gun stock burnishing wax the sort with grit in and try that first.

As Andy says all that has happened is you used to much oil in one go.

The above Will sort it i am sure.

Forgot to say believe it or not premium grade beretta will have very little oil finish applied that is why it has soaked in unevenly.

Andy is right no way will it be laquer. Dont panic get some very fine wire wool and rub vigorously if it doesnt buff it up apply a small amount of stock oil and use the same vigorous technique with the wool. Then wipe the excess oil of with a cloth and use dry wire wool again.

If the above scares you get some gun stock burnishing wax the sort with grit in and try that first.

As Andy says all that has happened is you used to much oil in one go.

The above Will sort it i am sure.

Forgot to say believe it or not premium grade beretta will have very little oil finish applied that is why it has soaked in unevenly.

The man's not wrong, it's just soaking the oil up. I had a high grade Blaser stock which looked awful until the grain had absorbed enough oil, especially on the darker parts.

Shaun

I would stop what you are doing right away and get hold of a proper stock finisher. Yes it may cost you the price of a pair of mullers or so but on a gun of such good quality its money well spent. Whilst you are at it, get the checkering re-done as well. I have PM'd you my mates details and he really is worth speaking to. Not trying to drum up business, he already has enough on his plate, just trying to help you get the best result on the wifes gun.

Steve :hunter:

Shaun

I would stop what you are doing right away and get hold of a proper stock finisher. Yes it may cost you the price of a pair of mullers or so but on a gun of such good quality its money well spent. Whilst you are at it, get the checkering re-done as well. I have PM'd you my mates details and he really is worth speaking to. Not trying to drum up business, he already has enough on his plate, just trying to help you get the best result on the wifes gun.

Steve :hunter:
Very good advice.

Tis only a bit of dry oil no major prob all a stock finisher will do is rub / buff it off either as above or might even just apply more oil.

The secret is a little oil at a time and many coats allowing to dry between coats. If you put to much on as the op has obviously done then you just take it off. But i Spose not everyone is that way inclined (no offence to the op) so sounds easy to some and not to others.

When oiling a stock very little oil is needed.

Two finger tips worth for one side is enough,one finger tip for the top and one for the bottom of the stock and one finger tips worth for the area around the grip.  Keep it out of the checkering.

Spread the oil with your fingertips and then rub in with your fingers and palm and ball of thumb sufficiently hard to feel heat building up.

Use a proportionate amount on the forend.

Leave for 24 hrs after application.

Once a month is enough,including oiling your woodwork !!

This technique was demonstrated to me by a gunsmith who gave me a bottle of oil.

Shocked and stunned I was.

Vic. 

When oiling a stock very little oil is needed.

Two finger tips worth for one side is enough,one finger tip for the top and one for the bottom of the stock and one finger tips worth for the area around the grip.  Keep it out of the checkering.

Spread the oil with your fingertips and then rub in with your fingers and palm and ball of thumb sufficiently hard to feel heat building up.

Use a proportionate amount on the forend.

Leave for 24 hrs after application.

Once a month is enough,including oiling your woodwork !!

This technique was demonstrated to me by a gunsmith who gave me a bottle of oil.

Shocked and stunned I was.

Vic. 
Thanks for that Vic did refurbish my Dt10 a while ago in that manner but this job is a bit beyond me to have been given a guys nuber to get it sorted from madmillie so panic over thanks to everyone for the good advice :prankster:

A lot of gun manufacturers claim their stocks are oil finished when what they should say is that the finish is an oil based varnish type of thing (their recipes are a guarded secret). To correctly oil a stock would take many months so they hard wax over the oil based finish and by anyone's standard the result is very pleasing but Linseed oil or what ever is foolishly recommended, (its supposed to be applied to the stock with the bare skin of your warm palm BTW), will dissolve the wax in an uneven fashion, this happened to me with a Guerini, I only have myself to blame for buying a Guerini in the first place. I found that neutral shoe polish and especially Kiwi did a fantastic job of returning the lustre but alas it needed to be done ever month or so. I also found the material from which the polishing cloth was made from influenced the final result. Hope it helps.

Guess your just about spot on there Dick it has done just that all patchy the problem as you state is what type of finish was used in the first place so alas its beyond a touch up job so its off to a proper finisher to strip and start again and hopefully get me out of the dog house. :crazy:

Latest posts

Back