Old Perazzi's

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen a broken beretta

just saying
Funnily enough Harry's 682 packed up on Sunday during first squad, although I concede nothing actually broken. Several refusals to fire the first barrel. Finally cleared the issue after five or six attempts. Popped the stock off after the round was complete and lubbed the action then faultless for the rest of the day.
Must remember to pop the trigger group out of the MX8 and lube it before the next shoot!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is a big problem at all. Its not as big a problem as the bottom firing pins on Mirokus anyway so that puts it in perspective

Never had or known a firing pin or trig spring break on any beretta

just saying

Never had or known a firing pin or trig spring break on any beretta

just saying
It does happen, mate of mine had a leaf spring go on a DT10 weeks after he bought it(second hand). Unlike a Perazzi, where it's a 5 min self repair job, he had to take it to a Smith because it's far more complicated and not meant for self repair. So it's horses for courses, these things are mechanical for goodness sake, so they are going to fail sooner or later.

MM

Again serious question, not wanting to start a bun fight :) Are these guns really guilty of breaking their V springs as a regular occurrence or is this yet another shooting myth? I do fully understand that a broken spring means the gun is non functioning but how often does this really happen?

I would say the problem of the V spring is that if it breaks its terminal whereas a coil spring will still work, possible less effectively but it will work, any way I am not about to loose sleep shot for shot for me this year at least the chances of a spring breaking in a competition are stacked well against at about 20/1

Like the other responses to this post - one since 1991.  I never change springs because they're "old".  I've accumulated a couple repair kits for the JIC situation but they just get carried around in the bag.  Anybody loses sleep worrying about breaking springs needs some professional counseling IMO.

but that could just be me

Charlie

Finally got to this - 

The gentleman for spares in Italy is Marcello Giuliani.  I have personally had dealings with him and know others who have as well, and he gets high marks from all for taking care of business.  He also markets some replacement parts that are not Perazzi and they are just way nice products.

I use and recommend  

Charlie

[email protected]

Like the other responses to this post - one since 1991.  I never change springs because they're "old".  I've accumulated a couple repair kits for the JIC situation but they just get carried around in the bag.  Anybody loses sleep worrying about breaking springs needs some professional counseling IMO.

but that could just be me

Charlie
And I just shot with a guy at the Seminole, that first station needed to use his spare trigger. The spring broke on his second target! Another had his ribs done recently!

Really! Did he tell you how many he has had to change since he bought the gun? ... how old was the gun. Why did the side ribs need done? Were the hanging off? These stories are the stuff of nightmares are they not! I wonder if the degradation is gradual of instantaneous? Just that I see people shooting very very old guns and they have no problems with side ribs.. don't know about springs but all mechanical things of this sort will break it is inevitable... just a matter of time really. Seems you can be unlucky with these guns or know someone who knows someone else who met someone who told them how unlucky they were with their Perazzi shocking!

Well I suppose 'hearsay' is very frightening.... :laugh:

I suppose some people may buy a really rubbish gun or even one that has been bashed around and abused....just because it has 'a name'.... (and may have been cleaned up). Some people may go off to shoot a big competition that they have been waiting all year for ....without checking their gun is ok.

I suppose......Many people actually have no idea what to look for in a new or second hand gun....so because of that they do not know how to avoid one that has been badly treated.....no matter what name it has got on it....or how nice and Whitney it looks :wink:

You can tell these people normally be what they post.....and it would be much better if they took a good friend or a coach who does know about guns.....with them to look at a gun 'before' they buy...........and then.......be taught how to maintain it...!

That way we would not hear all these 'horror hearsay stories' ...(.my mates this and that)......that are banded around like the gospel.

:laugh:

Apart from taking the opportunity to joke about various brands.....you will rarely see a serious competition shot with a broken gun.

Well since this gun that I am buying will need springs replaced every other weekend I decided to do some research on how to replace them ... doddle :) That's not the reason for the post though while researching I found out that there is a special way of closing a Perazzi and if not adhered to it wears the out locking bolt/ mechanism ? Any truth in this? Apparently one holds the top lever fully to the right and the closes the action rather than just shutting the gun as you would say a Browning or Beretta. weirdly I have seen someone do that here but he was a young guy who had just bought a brand new gun. Not that because my gun is 20 odd years old it should mean it be treated any differently of course :)

Absolute bollox !! You've been reading that Perazzi America site haven't you. I fell for that one and asked the question on hear a couple of years ago and got the same response I have just given you.

Just treat the gun with respect, which means close it normally, don't slam it (like I see some people do) and it will last a life time. For life time read 'as long as it lasts'.

If these things were really as fragile and temperamental as the web would have us believe do you really think Perazzi would have sold so many guns?

The one thing you do need to watch out for is the barrels will open without the lever engaging to the right if you don't push it all the way over (so it pops back to centre). Do not close the the gun with the lever at the centre position because you will eventually break the top lever spring (or so I have been told).

BTW why do some people feel the need to 'slam' their guns shut? Watched a lad at Nottingham some time ago and I thought he was going to bend his gun double everytime he closed to bloody thing. Started off with the muzzle on the ground, rapid swing upwards (and I mean rapid) and closed the gun mid way during the upswing (with a loud bang) all in one fluid movement to end up with the muzzle point upwards at 45 degrees. Seen something similar (another young lad) on You tube recently. Not an ounce of mechanical sympathy (probably coz they didn't buy the things). 

DT

BTW why do some people feel the need to 'slam' their guns shut? Watched a lad at Nottingham some time ago and I thought he was going to bend his gun double everytime he closed to bloody thing. Started off with the muzzle on the ground, rapid swing upwards (and I mean rapid) and closed the gun mid way during the upswing (with a loud bang) all in one fluid movement to end up with the muzzle point upwards at 45 degrees. Seen something similar (another young lad) on You tube recently. Not an once of mechanical sympathy (probably coz they buy the things).

DT
Probably one of them German things.

Yes an US site trapshooters I think it was. There was quite a debate about the authenticity of the information someone said they were told this when they visited Perazzi to have a new gun fitted. I only really asked because I did see it done by someone here and he too had just been to Italy to have his gun fitted so I thought there may have been something in it. Not going to make any difference to the gun I am buying its 20 years old!

Yes an US site trapshooters I think it was. There was quite a debate about the authenticity of the information someone said they were told this when they visited Perazzi to have a new gun fitted. I only really asked because I did see it done by someone here and he too had just been to Italy to have his gun fitted so I thought there may have been something in it. Not going to make any difference to the gun I am buying its 20 years old!
Lucio Sosta, the Perazzi trained gunsmith and US corp representative for decades, told me as he was fitting a new locking bar to a 20yo gun, hold the lever back as you close it and the thing will never wear out.  I had done that anyway, but hearing it from him was an affirmation of note.  A couple yrs later I was BSing with Giacomo Arrighini (also a Perazzi trained 'smith of a slightly earlier vintage than Lucio IIRC)  while he was working the Perazzi area at the ShotShow and asked him what he thought about it.  He gave the same advice.  I suppose they both could have been looking to promote some repair biz, but if they were counting on that they'll be starving on the locking bar replacement piece of it.

And it will make a difference to a 20yo gun if the lockup does not now need attention.  Why would an older gun not need to be treated properly?

But, it's your gun.  You are free to utilize it in anyway you like.

Latest posts

Back