Obsessive , Compulsion

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year there was a article in clay shooting mag i think it was where mainly us shooters and  richard faulds was one interviewed ,and if memory serves they mostly said they shot in the region of 30k a year .
I would say that is roughly what I shoot, maybe a bit more and Tony slightly less.

You’re not even close. 

Micky Dore has shot well over 160000 NSSA skeet targets. This doesn’t include the many thousand English skeet targets he’s shot or those from other disciplines.

3994C3B3-C96E-4E09-ADED-9561500AE183.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re not even close. 

Micky Dore has shot well over 160000 NSSA skeet targets. This doesn’t include the many thousand English skeet targets he’s shot or those from other disciplines.

View attachment 7082
I am female Jan I don't waive my Willy about.  It's not a whose got the biggest contest.  It's a bit of fun with Will, Doug etc who like to take the pee out of me in good fun as they shoot with me regularly at lots of different grounds.  He is exceptional, Mr Dore more so because he has given his all to discipline that simply doesn't do anything for me.

In terms of targets shot, i’d be surprised if anyone in the UK has shot more than Mr Dore. Before the days of re entry he’d shoot 200-300 registered targets a day. I’d imagine he’s done in excess of 250000 registered targets in his lifetime. 

Mind you the international competitors hit big numbers. Kim Rhode apparently used to shoot over 1000 targets a day in the run up to major events.

I am surprised that people like the Hewlands, Pinnegars & Hoskins's shoot so many targets both Practice & Competition and yet are so uncompetitive and shoot so poorly .

Especially in the rarer atmosphere when they shoot North of Birmingham. Obviously it could be down to atmospheric conditions , but I think it is skill . :D :D :D

If you had to work for a living and were fed on bread & dripping it would be different.

I am surprised that people like the Hewlands, Pinnegars & Hoskins's shoot so many targets both Practice & Competition and yet are so uncompetitive and shoot so poorly .

Especially in the rarer atmosphere when they shoot North of Birmingham. Obviously it could be down to atmospheric conditions , but I think it is skill . :D :D :D

If you had to work for a living and were fed on bread & dripping it would be different.
You can say what the duck you like about me, I couldn’t give a toss but don’t talk about my husband in a derogatory manner ever.  He is a quiet unassuming and humble person whose life from the very start was difficult and he has issues which prevent him doing his best.   He simply enjoys his shooting and has no concerns about scores and such like.  To him it is pure pleasure.   I am not playing with you on this matter.  Don’t come back at me that I’m easy to wind up, I couldn’t give a 🐀 arse for what you think.   You are not funny or clever and your age would normally make me bite my tongue as that was the way I was brought up but you found the one thing I won’t tolerate.

You are of course , like all of us entitled to an opinion. End of.

I’m guessing the emoticons suggest this is jovial in nature but it does come across quite confrontational.  

I appreciate that I might not be the most competitive, I’m still very new to the game. I guess it might come with age? 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
To get this back on topic slightly.....

Those who shoot "High Volume" deserve huge credit as whatever discipline they do it in shows a massive amount of dedication and in order to achieve the target numbers they do it's a must to shoot all year around in some terrible conditions. You all get a round of applause from me.

I will make two points here.

1). Mickey has topped the 12 gauge NSSA "High Volume" every year since 2011 for sheer number of targets shot.

2). Since 2013 the NSSA 12 gauge "High Volume" is heavily weighted with Brits - we clearly shoot a lot of 12 gauge skeet. In fact the top 7 were ALL brits in 2017!!

Mind you when you switch it to 2017 HOA (High Over All) which is calculated using volumes of all 4 gauges added together (12, 20, 28 and 410) then it drops off with only 3 brits in the top 25 so we shoot much less of the smaller gauges. Note: Mickey still topped HOA 22,800 last year. 

I also think to be obsessive / compulsive is NOT just the amount (number) shot it's the attitude / dedication - that desire to shoot as much as is possible for your circumstances. 

Is our sport now becoming an obsessive compulsion?

I am amazed at the number of shoots that certain individuals are now doing per week , along with fuel prices , cartridges and changing their guns regularly this is now fast becoming an elitest sport.

Should the powers that be now consider reclassifications to include amateurs, and professionals??????

Each week we have competitions with the usual classes C to AA , but in those classes we get competitors who shoot 100 clays per month competing against same class shooters who shoot 100 to 500 per week. Surely that is not a level playing field?
surely it makes no difference if 2 guns are in the same class what I would take from that is the gun only shooting 100 a month is probably a much better and more natural shot and doesn't need to practice so much to maintain the standard, plus there is such a thing as over doing it and trying too hard and that to me again would suggest if someone is going to that extreme they would never be a threat, we all need to shoot so much to keep that edge to it and progress through the ranks and if I was the gun shooting 100 a month I'd be thinking look how much it's costing them to reach my standard always take the positives and when you are at the stand shooting your head will always be in the right place  

To get this back on topic slightly.....

Those who shoot "High Volume" deserve huge credit as whatever discipline they do it in shows a massive amount of dedication and in order to achieve the target numbers they do it's a must to shoot all year around in some terrible conditions. You all get a round of applause from me.

I will make two points here.

1). Mickey has topped the 12 gauge NSSA "High Volume" every year since 2011 for sheer number of targets shot.

2). Since 2013 the NSSA 12 gauge "High Volume" is heavily weighted with Brits - we clearly shoot a lot of 12 gauge skeet. In fact the top 7 were ALL brits in 2017!!

Mind you when you switch it to 2017 HOA (High Over All) which is calculated using volumes of all 4 gauges added together (12, 20, 28 and 410) then it drops off with only 3 brits in the top 25 so we shoot much less of the smaller gauges. Note: Mickey still topped HOA 22,800 last year. 

I also think to be obsessive / compulsive is NOT just the amount (number) shot it's the attitude / dedication - that desire to shoot as much as is possible for your circumstances. 
Are you saying that someone shot 22,800 skeet targets in one year?

Back