NSSA Skeet - Memberships.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So shoot admin place the shooter in the shooter's declared class and not admin telling the shooter which class they are in ?
Yes in effect i guess that is true. They can cross check against the website and the shooters record card. However in the UK the majority of NSSA shoots are "targets only" so no benefit to cheat / declare into a lower class.

The four major shoots (plus one charity shoot in 2013) are the only ones to be competition so having prize money to gain. In my experience it seems to work very well with this system.

So if a British shooter was deposed from their winning position in a class at the world championship in America because they were in the wrong class , the shooter must have declared that they should be placed in that class to start with ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryan,

Sorry not going to get involved in that debate and i had an idea that this was the direction it was going to take. Like i said in my original reply to Joe when he posted that info

It could very easy be an honest mistake with NSSA using the rolling last 5 shoots to determine your average - it only needs to alter by 0.1% and in some cases you can shift a class. This is why its important that NSSA shooters use their records card correctly and carry it with them to all shoots.  If the shooter in question did not do this and missed that they slipped up a class based upon their latest scores and simply acted / shot off the NSSA website averages which can be slightly behind in shoots (eg:- European Open is not showing on their yet) then this could explain it.
Lets keep this thread away from these kind of allegations please and on the positive side of skeet shooting and about how to get involved in shooting NSSA skeet in the UK.

If you read my post again you will see that I made no allegations. 

Seeing as you brought up the subject of Joe and his original info , as far as I can see it hasn't been answered so we don't know if it's true or not .

I agree it is better to concentrate on the positive thing's in shooting so I won't ask any more awkward question's on this thread

I agree it is better to concentrate on the positive thing's in shooting so I won't ask any more awkward question's on this thread
Cheers Bryan.... of course keep asking questions relating to how things work and how to get involved as that is what this thread is about and is going great. A lot thanks to your questions and interest.

As a side note i am booked on at Tadley (Nr Reading) for my last NSSA registered of 2013 season. A great club and a friendly place to get involved. If anyone is interested then get the details off the BSSA website (link in first post on this topic) and come along. Say Hi i will be on tbe 10am squad on the right hand layout i think.

Wow...where did that come from..?

Alflan can you please explain what you are talking about and who you are directing your comments to?

Are you talking about people....or NASA as a discipline or English of Olympic skeets.

You have not made it clear....just saying.

Hello Nicola,

I believe NASA is something to do with the space program(well it will be when the chinese lend america some more money)...just saying!

Ooooops sorry....NSSA

I don't really know skeet and I have no idea about NSSA....as you can tell.

(Ninja mode - hey Si....did you get any answers from good old nick??)

Hello Nicola,

This needs thought! Chances of receiving a reply to a complaint VS winning the euromillions at 100 million to one?

Its £2.00 to enter I believe!

Simon

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha

I told you that you were wasting your time.

You never get a straight answer to any question.

Or you get an answer to some questions that are little ones....but the big ones are avoided.

Like.....Nick, were you at the opening ceremony at San Antonio...yes or no.....?

'Ten past four'

Please keep this discussion related to the original topic. The moderators are getting tired of removing an inflammatory and uneccessary posts from the Skeet forum. These squabbles present skeet in a very bad light and do nothing to encourage newcomers to the discipline.

I realise there have been personal disputes between various skeet shooters and grounds in the past. If you want to continue this please do so away from the forum. By all means have a lively debate, but no silly points scoring please.

Are you talking to alflan?

Si and I were discussing a skeet topic....just saying.

Matt,

Drop me a PM of what you would require for an article on NSSA skeet and the kind of format that you would want it to follow. I will see what i can do.

NSSA skeet really is not that much different but some how is much more fun / a bigger challenge IMO. Here are the highlights......

The targets are slightly faster and are supposed to travel 60m instead of the 52m that ESK does. (The advantage of this is better target flight and more consistent targets).

There is no pair on station 4 in regular NSSA skeet

On station 7 the high house is shot first on the singles.

The last two (or three) targets are shot on station 8 - first all the squad members take a turn shoot the high house, then the whole squad turns round and they all take a turn to shoot the low house.

If you are still straight then the final "option" target is another low 8 -  2 x low 8 is what you want - ..

Everything else is exactly the same target sequence as ESK.

There is no SILLY restriction on how many registered targets you can shoot at a ground in a day - if you want to turn up and shoot 200-300 registered NSSA 12 gauge in a single day to make the drive worth it you can.

That is a basic round of 12 gauge singles and once you join anyone can do this with a normal shotgun that they own. You can then add in the following if you choose too:-

With NSSA there is the option to shoot further gauges which simply add to the fun IMO. There are 4 gauges and doubles able to be registered and competed in.

12 Gauge - this is the one MOST shooters own as their standard shotgun and is the easy one to get into NSSA skeet with. 

20 Gauge -  this is slightly smaller with a maximum load of 24gram cartridges.

28 Gauge - slightly smaller again with a maximum load of 21gram cartridges. My favourite gauge by a mile - breaks of a 12 with next to no recoil.

.410 bore - slightly smaller again with a maximum load of 14gram cartridges. The real challenge and the one to master if you can.

Doubles - shot in EXACTLY the same format / target sequence as ESK Doubles. You can use any of the 4 gauges above but kinda obviously most choose to use the 12 gauge. 

90% of the NSSA shooting in the UK is standard registered targets which is all shot in "targets only" format. You simply book on at the ground of your choice that is holding a registered event that day and shoot. This usually costs between £27 - £30 per hundred targets so comparable to birds only registered ESK. You can choose to shoot any gauge and they "mix" the squads so you do not have to book onto a squad only shooting the gauge you want too.

The REALLY good thing is that as soon as you have shot 100 targets in a gauge is that you are classed and so do not have to shoot U/C any longer. 

There are 4 major shoots in the UK for NSSA - 

Ironman.

This is a 400 target event usually held late March / Early April all shot with the 12 gauge (or a smaller one of you choose). It is shot over two days with 200 targets per day and those 200 targets are shot straight through with no break - hence the name. This event was sadly cancelled in 2013 due to lack of entries and if the same happens again in 2014 BSSA are contemplating changing it to a "all gauges event" for 2015. So if you have an interest in getting into NSSA skeet and fancy a challenge this is the major event to try IN 2014 as you need no extra kit than you already have.

UK Open.

This is the next event usually held late May and is a "all gauge" event although YOU CAN JUST ENTER THE 12 GAUGE / DOUBLES EVENTS. This is a 500 target event shot in the following format:-

Friday afternoon - 100 x doubles

Saturday - 100 x 12 gauge (am) / 100 x 28 gauge (pm)

Sunday - 100 x 20 gauge (am) / 100 x .410 bore (pm)

BSSA Championship.

This is usually held in Mid July and is a 400 target event (but again you can JUST enter the 12 gauge if you wish) held in the same format as the UK Open but NO DOUBLES on the FGriday afternoon.

European Open.

Usually held around the end of August and is also the shoot where the AGM is held at. Exactly the same format as the UK Open.

I learned something from this thank you.   Can I just clarify - I though NSSA was gun down - have I got that wrong because if so that is more tempting to me to try.

Hi Sian, NSSA and ESK can be shot gun up or gun down, most people opt for gun up for consistent gun mount. OSK has to be shot gun down.

Hi Sian, NSSA and ESK can be shot gun up or gun down, most people opt for gun up for consistent gun mount. OSK has to be shot gun down.
Thank you I will leave the OSK alone for the time being!

Latest posts

Back