NSSA Skeet - Memberships.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeetfreak

Unsure how many  / if any this applies to on here but here goes....

NSSA memberships are now due for renewal (see link below)

https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/NSSAMbrRenew/Default.aspx

For anyone considering joining NSSA and shooting some American skeet, the membership for next year runs from now till 31st October 2014.

There are currently 7 grounds in the UK offering NSSA skeet and they are listed on the BSSA website:- http://www.mynssa.co.uk/1.html Grounds tend to upload their fixtures for the following year once the current season ends.

There are 4 major championships a year - http://www.mynssa.co.uk/20.html

Then some of the clubs offer "club events" for all gauges on top of this. You can of course JUST shoot 12 gauge and doubles if you want - no pressure to shoot all the sub gauges. The "Ironman" major is a great example of this and a great way for new NSSA shooters to break into the sport. It is 400 x 12 gauge targets over two days!!

If you prefer you can just simply shoot NSSA registered events without entering the bigger shoots. These are usually ALL on a targets only basis so no competition entry to pay for.

New members want the "one year regular" membership in the link below:-

https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/NSSAMbrNew/Default.aspx

Be good to see some of you at NSSA events in 2014.

It's a shame NSSA skeet doesn't have the following it deserves here in the UK. It's so much better than English skeet.

It's a shame NSSA skeet doesn't have the following it deserves here in the UK. It's so much better than English skeet.

Could not agree more - hence why i am so keen to show others the experience where i can and hopefully introduce others to it. Would dearly like BSSA to organize some "try it" days at one of the grounds. I would give up some time and allow shooters the use of my kit to give it a whirl if it fitted with my calendar.

Sounds like a great idea Greg, is this something we could organise together?

Unsure how many  / if any this applies to on here but here goes....

NSSA memberships are now due for renewal (see link below)

https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/NSSAMbrRenew/Default.aspx

For anyone considering joining NSSA and shooting some American skeet, the membership for next year runs from now till 31st October 2014.

There are currently 7 grounds in the UK offering NSSA skeet and they are listed on the BSSA website:- http://www.mynssa.co.uk/1.html Grounds tend to upload their fixtures for the following year once the current season ends.

There are 4 major championships a year - http://www.mynssa.co.uk/20.html

Then some of the clubs offer "club events" for all gauges on top of this. You can of course JUST shoot 12 gauge and doubles if you want - no pressure to shoot all the sub gauges. The "Ironman" major is a great example of this and a great way for new NSSA shooters to break into the sport. It is 400 x 12 gauge targets over two days!!

If you prefer you can just simply shoot NSSA registered events without entering the bigger shoots. These are usually ALL on a targets only basis so no competition entry to pay for.

New members want the "one year regular" membership in the link below:-

https://www.nssa-nsca.com/Webforms/NSSAMbrNew/Default.aspx

Be good to see some of you at NSSA events in 2014.
A few of us renewed our NSSA membership whilst we were out in Texas, we will be doing far more NSSA shoots in future !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great idea Greg, is this something we could organise together?
Julia,

Sure we can sort something - I know i was speaking to Derek about this. Be great to see if we can get a few ESK shooters to give it a whirl on a "try day" - with maybe a few pointers by some more experienced NSSA shooters. If every club that shoots NSSA did this once in 2014 that would be cool. 

Your ideal opportunity is when your holding a registered ESK event - have a "try day" on the other side of the road..... skeet shooters on site might pop over and have a go if encouraged. Then simply a case of having a laptop running with the NSSA website for them to join straight away. Then give them fixture lists and show them how often it is accessible and where.

Bet Mr Fallon would be up for getting involved too as the BSSA chairman.

I remember when i very first had a go at NSSA down at Lakenheath they used to have a couple of full sets of companions that they would "hire / lend" out to people just getting involved. great way to get people shooting it without the heavy investment needed for tubes etc.

Only thing is that a stock of sub gauge cartridges would be needed so people can arrive and play.

Well we have our NSSA dates for next year so I will get in touch when we start doing the other fixtures. I'm sure we can tie in a big county or regional championship (if we get awarded them this year).

I'll be honest - don't understand NSSA - does anyone feel like writing an article for ShootClay on the differences? If it needs to be promoted, I'm happy to help do that... 

How much is NSSA membership ? Is there a BSSA membership ?

How much is NSSA membership ? Is there a BSSA membership ?
$40.00 Bryan, then I think BSSA have a levy included in your comp entry fee. Last year I think NSSA were running a complimentary membership scheme for people who have never been a member of the organisation. You get a decent magazine with the membership.

$40.00 Bryan, then I think BSSA have a levy included in your comp entry fee. Last year I think NSSA were running a complimentary membership scheme for people who have never been a member of the organisation. You get a decent magazine with the membership.
Kent skeet is correct.

$40.00 gets you a one year NSSA membership with skeet shooting review magazine. There is a cheaper option if you don;t want the magazine for $30.00 but like the above says the magazine is decent with some really credible articles.

As for BSSA fee's - for 2014 everytime you shoot 100 targets £2.50 goes to BSSA. They use this for running NSSA skeet in the UK and also are very generous when it comes to topping up the prize funds at the 4 major shoots by using this money.

I'll be honest - don't understand NSSA - does anyone feel like writing an article for ShootClay on the differences? If it needs to be promoted, I'm happy to help do that... 
Matt,

Drop me a PM of what you would require for an article on NSSA skeet and the kind of format that you would want it to follow. I will see what i can do.

NSSA skeet really is not that much different but some how is much more fun / a bigger challenge IMO. Here are the highlights......

The targets are slightly faster and are supposed to travel 60m instead of the 52m that ESK does. (The advantage of this is better target flight and more consistent targets).

There is no pair on station 4 in regular NSSA skeet

On station 7 the high house is shot first on the singles.

The last two (or three) targets are shot on station 8 - first all the squad members take a turn shoot the high house, then the whole squad turns round and they all take a turn to shoot the low house.

If you are still straight then the final "option" target is another low 8 -  2 x low 8 is what you want - ..

Everything else is exactly the same target sequence as ESK.

There is no SILLY restriction on how many registered targets you can shoot at a ground in a day - if you want to turn up and shoot 200-300 registered NSSA 12 gauge in a single day to make the drive worth it you can.

That is a basic round of 12 gauge singles and once you join anyone can do this with a normal shotgun that they own. You can then add in the following if you choose too:-

With NSSA there is the option to shoot further gauges which simply add to the fun IMO. There are 4 gauges and doubles able to be registered and competed in.

12 Gauge - this is the one MOST shooters own as their standard shotgun and is the easy one to get into NSSA skeet with. 

20 Gauge -  this is slightly smaller with a maximum load of 24gram cartridges.

28 Gauge - slightly smaller again with a maximum load of 21gram cartridges. My favourite gauge by a mile - breaks of a 12 with next to no recoil.

.410 bore - slightly smaller again with a maximum load of 14gram cartridges. The real challenge and the one to master if you can.

Doubles - shot in EXACTLY the same format / target sequence as ESK Doubles. You can use any of the 4 gauges above but kinda obviously most choose to use the 12 gauge. 

90% of the NSSA shooting in the UK is standard registered targets which is all shot in "targets only" format. You simply book on at the ground of your choice that is holding a registered event that day and shoot. This usually costs between £27 - £30 per hundred targets so comparable to birds only registered ESK. You can choose to shoot any gauge and they "mix" the squads so you do not have to book onto a squad only shooting the gauge you want too.

The REALLY good thing is that as soon as you have shot 100 targets in a gauge is that you are classed and so do not have to shoot U/C any longer. 

There are 4 major shoots in the UK for NSSA - 

Ironman.

This is a 400 target event usually held late March / Early April all shot with the 12 gauge (or a smaller one of you choose). It is shot over two days with 200 targets per day and those 200 targets are shot straight through with no break - hence the name. This event was sadly cancelled in 2013 due to lack of entries and if the same happens again in 2014 BSSA are contemplating changing it to a "all gauges event" for 2015. So if you have an interest in getting into NSSA skeet and fancy a challenge this is the major event to try IN 2014 as you need no extra kit than you already have.

UK Open.

This is the next event usually held late May and is a "all gauge" event although YOU CAN JUST ENTER THE 12 GAUGE / DOUBLES EVENTS. This is a 500 target event shot in the following format:-

Friday afternoon - 100 x doubles

Saturday - 100 x 12 gauge (am) / 100 x 28 gauge (pm)

Sunday - 100 x 20 gauge (am) / 100 x .410 bore (pm)

BSSA Championship.

This is usually held in Mid July and is a 400 target event (but again you can JUST enter the 12 gauge if you wish) held in the same format as the UK Open but NO DOUBLES on the FGriday afternoon.

European Open.

Usually held around the end of August and is also the shoot where the AGM is held at. Exactly the same format as the UK Open.

How long do you keep a class once allocated ?
It is permanently rolling classes with NSSA. I will try to keep it simple as i have a tendency to over complicate things like this.

To begin with a shooter joins NSSA.

They shoot 100 registered targets and are classed on the day for that shoot. They then carry that class over to their second shoot and shoot in that class.

Once they have shot 2 shoots the class is worked out by score 1 + score 2 divided by 2 = XX and they are then placed in the class that this gives them.

same with the third shoot

same with the fourth shoot

This carries on for 5 shoots so you get score1 + score2 + score3 + score4 + score5 divided by 5 = XX and they are placed in the class that this gives them.

for the FIRST FIVE SHOOTS YOU EVER DO you can move up and down in classes as much as required.

After the above first five shoots period your class then can only MOVE DOWN one class a season (1st Nov - 31st Oct) but you can MOVE UP as many times as your average takes you up.

You are ALWAYS basing your average and class upon your last 5 shoots so that your average is rolling and always up to date and a true reflection of your current ability.

The above applies to EACH gauge individually so you have a unique class for each gauge and your ability in that gauge.

That make sense?

Well explained , thank's. So it's possible to be AA class CPSA but D class NSSA ? But if a shooter is A class NSSA and has an ' unexplainable ' lack of form with a run of 5 D class scores , their next allocated class would be B class not D class ?

Is the shooter notified after every shoot which class they will be in at the next shoot so they can enter the correct class ,  or does NSSA / BSSA keep the averages and automaticaly enter you in the correct class at your next shoot . 

Well explained , thank's. So it's possible to be AA class CPSA but D class NSSA ? But if a shooter is A class NSSA and has an ' unexplainable ' lack of form with a run of 5 D class scores , their next allocated class would be B class not D class ?
Yes that is right by my understanding.

Is the shooter notified after every shoot which class they will be in at the next shoot so they can enter the correct class ,  or does NSSA / BSSA keep the averages and automaticaly enter you in the correct class at your next shoot .
Each shooter gets a record card so you can keep your own records for the season. Plus on the NSSA website there is a "member info" section which holds your averages and classes but this can lag by a short time if you shoot regular. So best to use the record card when booking in to your shoots.

So shoot admin place the shooter in the shooter's declared class and not admin telling the shooter which class they are in ?

Back