Newbie Here please go easy..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g1smo

Just had a my first visit to shoot clays and i'm hooked, So SGL applied for, so after advice on what to buy for around £1000 and wondered if anyone else from North Wales

thanks

Hi and welcome to the site, look for a second hand beretta or browning and you cant go to far wrong, should be able to find somthing on guntrader. however i would suggest having a go on a few models before you decide on anything.

Thanks ill have a look, so what lengh should i look for 28 30 32 ??

I'm a newbie also but have been advised to go for a 30" as I am looking to shoot clay and maybe game at some stage too....I'm sure the more experienced guys will be able to advise further though.

its very common for sportigng shooters to use 32" barrels, however again it is a personel thing dependant upon your build, some one siad to me once its easyier to point at a target with a long stick instead of a short one. I really would suggest that if you know people that shot you ask them to have a go with there guns to get an idea of what suits you best.

Welcome along!  Most experienced shooters will advise you to go for a second hand Beretta, Browning or Miroku.  Probably be best to go 32" but there are more experienced people on here than me!  Whatever you go for, see if you can try a few out first.  Have fun!    

I will go with what the others have said, but I will add that if possible, try to shoot as many disciplines as you can before you buy a gun. I would also advise you to have a few lessons with a good coach, he/she will then be able to advise you as to the right stock dimemsion for you and your chosen discipline. Yes it's very tempting to rush out and buy a gun as soon as you can, but I would advise against it, you really do need to know what you intend to shoot before you buy a gun, otherwise you could end up with a totally wrong gun for the job. I shot clays for almost two years before I bought a gun, I had lessons and used club guns and loaned guns, and at the same time I tried the three main disciplines (sporting skeet and trap) before settling on trap. :smile:

Welcome Paul,ask away,you will not be abused on here.

I agree with Les,don't rush into buying a gun until you are sure you like clay shooting and what you want to shoot,you will only be lining someones pocket.It will probably take you a few weeks to get a SGC so that gives you time to investigate.

Professional advice is worth it if you can find someone who is recommended but I can't help you regarding North Wales.

Have a look on the CPSA website for shooting grounds and therefore possible instructors.

Vic. 

So i have found a forum that doesnt abuse...thats a first....

Ill try and fine somewhere within an hour or so with a ground that sell's then

Sam Pop comes from North Wales. Try Hodnet ,it is a very nice ground and they don't put on demoralising targets. Other than that follow the advice that others on here have given. Don't rush in to things as that can result in very expensive mistakes.

Oh! and welcome aboard!! :nyam: :nyam:

Agree with all the above. If you buy Beretta or Miroku you will not lose a lot when you, inevitably, decide to change it. Try lots of guns and see which is the most comfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with all the above. If you buy Beretta or Miroku you will not lose a lot when you, inevitably, decide to change it. Try lots of guns and see which is the most comfortable.Welcome to the forum.
Only if you buy second hand.

I've bought 2 new Berettas in recent years, kept them mint and still lost a lot when I decided to upgrade again.

686 onyx - lost £600 in 2 years

682 gold e - lost £950 in 10 months.

Won't buy new again unless its a total keeper for years to come.

Good luck

When you buy new you lose the VAT straight away, so at the minute you lose 20% as soon as you sign on the dotted line on new guns, then adf some on top of that, I lost a further 10% on top of the vat when i traded my last beretta in.

so is there a wanted section on this forum? as it may save a few quid, 

Latest posts

Back