New stock treatment

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibaldib

I have just treated myself to a new game gun for next season. A bit premature, but it was belated birthday present to myself and I reasoned that I could get use to it during the summer.

It is a Beretta  Pigeon 1 Deluxe 20 bore 30". The woodwork on it is rather nice and before I take it out I thought I would garner opinion on the best way to treat it in order to protect it from the elements.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but last year I bought a new Silver Pigeon 12 bore and took it out in some light rain. At the end of the day the stock was badly marked with white spots that couldn't be removed. A mate of mine, who is a french polisher, rubbed it all back and then built it up again.

Obviously I do not want this to happen on the deluxe stock, so wondered what your suggestions were for the best results?

Thanks

Assuming its oil finished then i suggest a good few light coats of rapid oil.

My suggestion would to be to give it to the French Polisher with a bottle of linseed oil and collect it in August.

As ips stated, I have a Silver Pigeon 1 and have used Rapid Oil on it and it keeps it just as out the box, a few light coats every month before the season kicks of will do it good. Put a couple of light coats on before you first take it out in case you get rain. After a few coats of Rapid Oil my stock has been ok since I had the white spots also, though I never rubbed it back I buffed it with myths to clean off the Beretta coating.

As soon as the season was finished I took my stock to Tom Young at North Ayrshire Shooting Ground to have an adjustable comb fitted, if it is as good as they sorted my 682 Gold E with an adjustable comb I will be delighted.

Latest posts

Back