New Silver cased Eley Superb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also complained about exactly the same thing, I have shot over 10000 superbs and they have been excellent, and then they weren't as their case colour changed. Current response from Eley is no change, as you know this isn't true.  I too have shot them back to back and there is a noticeable difference. 

I have shot over a 1000 of the silver shelled Superbs and this included 200 straight through on Friday to see the effects - which was a very bad shoulder and back.

I shot a number of cartridges back to back today including White gold, ( my previous cartridge), Black gold, old and new Superbs, Cheddite Smart strike and Eley DTL gold. 

The cartridge I find closely matches the Clear cased Superb was the Cheddite Smart Strike and will be using these now at the Classic and Worlds unfortunately I can't shoot any competition targets to the 5th of June but I will shoot at least 2 reg. Shoots if not 3 and will be able to give some honest feed back if they are any good as a replacement. 

The kills were impressive with smooth shooting and as much as I expected to go back to the White Gold I can honestly say I was more impressed with the Cheddite.

I shot the superb last sunday for the first time ,noticed they was a bit punchy these were the ones in the silver casing but as i was working my way through 100 i noticed the odd ones were see through because i had to look twice what they were .i would say 7 of them were see through casing the rest was in the solid silver casing ..... Bit wierd dident have any of the bulging problems but i dont think i would buy again  i think theres better out there for 20 to 30 pound a thousand less the are 196 a thousand where i am 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hull sporting 100's smooth,hit hard and under the magic 200 i pay 190 ish
Would have to agree.  Bought 750 to try out.  Used them last weekend and early results look promising.

Had to get 7.5s rather than my preferred 8, but yes...good hard breaks, smooth and clean...very nice.

Shot a full round with the new package Olympic Blue's today and very happy, same kick, same decent breaks and only a couple of shells failed to fully chamber on the drop. Barrels looked cleaner than before I started too  :D .

Shot a full round with the new package Olympic Blue's today and very happy, same kick, same decent breaks and only a couple of shells failed to fully chamber on the drop. Barrels looked cleaner than before I started too  :D .
I read somewhere that Eley are owned by Rio 

Could it be that we Eley Olympic Blues shooters are really shooting Rio's??

The ones I used in OZ we're the newly packaged ones as Hamster has been using

Now that would be ok but it would be so much more palatable if they put Rio on the box

Eley's parent company is Maxam who also have Rio, Caledonian and Saga under their umbrella. Rio even their budget range Target Loads are far superior to anything Eley produce. So NO putting Rio on a box of Eleys is not palatable! In fact Putting anything marked Eley in a gun is completely unpalatable to a number of shooters! Never had a Rio fail to chamber, hang fire or leave crap in my barrels closest comparison in my opinion are Clevers, which are actually the cleanest cartridge I've ever seen! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Huummm strong views 

I think Eley Olympic Blues are as good as anything lve used  

Certainly better than me if the clay gets away it aint the cartridge and the price is right 

My question is were are thay manufactured and by whom

Huummm strong views 

I think Eley Olympic Blues are as good as anything lve used  

Certainly better than me if the clay gets away it aint the cartridge and the price is right 

My question is were are thay manufactured and by whom
I agree never had any problems with any eley cartridges I used superbs for years and went to Olympics when the price got to high. I stil use some Olympics but mainly use jockers because they are £145. 

I've been advised by my supplier that the Eley rep has informed them that the first batch of the new Superbs did have a different powder and that they have now gone back to the original recipe. 

Having fired off two boxes of the new batches alongside the Olympic Blues, I have to admit to not being able to detect a difference in kick, if anything the latter have a dirtier/craggy feel to the recoil.  

I have been shooting the new revised velocity superbs and must admit I find them close if not the same as the orginal white shelled superbs so I am back shooting them full time. So far so good with no telling recoil issues, smooth shooting and good kills.

Look for Revised velocity on the label of the slab if this isn't on they will be the old ones.

Latest posts

Back