My two new favourite men....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykaysea

Many of you will know I take my shooting quite seriously and I am pretty competitive, well this year when I made the Isle of Wight Ladies Shooting Team to compete in the Island Games I knew I would need to up my game so I have now got not one coach but two....and they are both equally important to me....

In no particular order....

First is Mr John Heagren, let's call him my technical coach. Have worked with John for a few months now at Bisley and am starting to get a lot more confident in my shooting and decision making. John is very good at working with you and your style of shooting and tweaking it...don't ever tell him you don't like a target...he'll make you shoot them till you can hit them all. I like to hang on to targets (as anyone who has ever shot with me will confirm) so we have worked on how I can improve that and it is all starting to come together nicely...we work on so many things, the time just flies and it's more like fun than a lesson.

The second is Mr Phil Coley, who is my mental coach. Attended a Sporting Masterclass at Barbury and while I thought I already had a pretty strong pre shot routine I soon realised that I did not....it was a brilliant day and one thing I was surprised about was it was all around shooting...we shot a load of targets...whereas I expected it to be a bit more classroom based. Since that initial day we have worked on a one to one basis and I am noticing a real difference in my approach and also in my mental strength...not feeling so tired towards the end of a shoot which is great. I can start in the right frame of mind and even if I don't hit all the targets (that would be for technical reasons not mental) I can deal with it and not let it affect the next stand.

So there you have it...the secret to my ever rising scores and also my increased enjoyment and enthusiasm for the sport. I always remember someone telling me each person has their own journey through learning to shoot and I definitely feel as if mine has upped its pace a bit and I am looking forward to the competitions this year. I would definitely recommend both to anyone looking for that step change in their shooting, I haven't gone into too much detail about what we do....wouldn't want to steal their thunder...but if you are looking for that extra 5~10% on your scores then you wouldn't go far wrong with either of these gentlemen...if anyone wants any more detail please do let me know

I set off to Jersey for the Island Games at the end of the month with the Classic on the Wednesday before as the start to a whole week of shooting so I'll keep you posted how I get on. One thing is for certain I will be doing my best and that's all I can ask of myself

Jaykaysea

Last edited by a moderator:
A great write up Jen.

Good luck with both your coming shooting week and your journey ?

PS  what's "limportant"?

Bad typing....ha ha.... 

But it could have been oh so many things...

Could be worse, could have been "limpotent" 

Is that a spoonerism or a Freudian slip or a new verb perhaps? 

Back