multi doo dah maintenance schedule

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

multi choke things don't float my boat but it seems I am stuck with the pesky things. Is it usual to remove and clean em after every shoot or is it a once a month type job.

also to avoid damaging my rib end I am considering an extended job to rest on my foot, can I use a flush job in top barrel or is that not the done thing. Yes I am a Luddite:)

Remove after EVERY shoot Ian, otherwise they will weld themselves in for good. Are they after market chokes or supplied by the gun manufacturer?

Which grease do you use? The one I tried made the problem worse, it seemed to get cooked and then 'set', I had a hell of a job getting the little fookers out.

matt

they came with it mate, flush fitting Beretta jobs

North Ayrshire Shooting Ground do a great grease, it's a Red high melting point Lithium grease supplied in a Monoject 412 25ml "dental flush" syringe £6. 

This Krieghoff needs much more attention than the Beretta...it gets a clean and re grease after every shoot, chokes removed, cleaned and a smear of grease on them every shoot, ejectors removed and cleaned about every 2k shells

Should be fine, I now loosen them off when I finish shooting and am putting the gun back in the car. Had a teague choke get stuck once, had to be cut out in the end!

Which grease do you use? The one I tried made the problem worse, it seemed to get cooked and then 'set', I had a hell of a job getting the little fookers out.
Not sure of the make matt but was supplied with the grease when i got my teague chokes it comes in small red boxes with choke lube on the box and is blue in colour never had a problem with them sticking.

Small bead Schmierfix down two sides of clean choke thread. From Alan Rhone or have seen it on EBay. About £6.00 . Never had a problem. 

This Krieghoff needs much more attention than the Beretta...it gets a clean and re grease after every shoot, chokes removed, cleaned and a smear of grease on them every shoot, ejectors removed and cleaned about every 2k shells
Darkside if pulling the ejectors out of a K put a rag over them so not to lose the balls, check the balls for chrome coming off. But then you prob do that anyway.

if you have any trigger reset (after barrel selection) issues on the K push the trigger forward gun closed. Just a tip you may find useful one day. ?

image.jpeg

multi choke things don't float my boat but it seems I am stuck with the pesky things. Is it usual to remove and clean em after every shoot or is it a once a month type job.

also to avoid damaging my rib end I am considering an extended job to rest on my foot, can I use a flush job in top barrel or is that not the done thing. Yes I am a Luddite:)
Take them out clean off all grease and oil. Put them back in as tight as you can and leave them there for at least one year. You will then have the  fixed choke you've always wanted. 

Take them out clean off all grease and oil. Put them back in as tight as you can and leave them there for at least one year. You will then have the  fixed choke you've always wanted. 
sounds like a plan ?

Don't spend a fortune on minute packages of snake oil grease as its just usually repackaged High Melting Point grease of which you can usuall buy a kilo for the price they charge for 25ml.

Also if properly greased the need to remove the choke every time you shoot is not necessary once a month or when you do a major clean will be fine...seized chokes in general are due to lack of or using the incorrect product.

I have 9 multichokes and some of them may go years without getting used,i have never had a choke sieze  :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used grease, only Ligier type spray oils applied lightly and tightened using a good tool, have gone a good 4 shoots before taking them out and never experienced trouble. It is good practice to remove and clean them though (every 500-1000 shots) as they can get caked up in residue. 

I'd prefer the use of a leather toe rest rather than extended.

I've never used grease, only Ligier type spray oils applied lightly and tightened using a good tool, have gone a good 4 shoots before taking them out and never experienced trouble. It is good practice to remove and clean them though (every 500-1000 shots) as they can get caked up in residue. 

I'd prefer the use of a leather toe rest rather than extended.
have a leather job but barrel and rib don't fit too well on it due to height of rib.

It is good practice to remove and clean them though (every 500-1000 shots) as they can get caked up in residue. 
That would be every week for me then :)

Tony does mine every week and they do get filthy.  His though are nowhere  near as dirty has mine ever.

Oh goody goody. Another 'how often should I clean my chokes' thread. 

I love these. It's so interesting to see how lazy (or otherwise) my fellow shooters are. Let's see if we can get it to 3 pages!

Maybe when this has run it's course we could try 'should I use snap caps or not' or 'should I use gun grease or oil?' They're always a good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh goody goody. Another 'how often should I clean my chokes' thread. 

I love these. It's so interesting to see how lazy (or otherwise) my fellow shooters are. Let's see if we can get it to 3 pages!

Maybe when this has run it's course we could try 'should I use snap caps or not' or 'should I use gun grease or oil?' They're always a good ones.
yep I know but I know you all love choke topics.

ps

was / is a serious question though ?

Back