Moving over from trap to sporting gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeShot

Guys remember the wanderings from last year? I intended to post a reply however it can’t be done since post is archived so I am further littering this site.

Anyway - I went and pulled the plug on Miroku, sold the Browning and  I am recently app 3 weeks into shooting MK70.

Since the season is in full swing I didn’t have time to properly test the gun so after a single visit to the trap field I attended local shoot (Game Trench) and took the 3rd place after shot-off with 21/25 clays hit – high gun took 23/25.

Next was a national open in Game Trench 100 bird shoot – got 89/100 that was enough for 15th place – win was decided after 3 - 98 scorers guys shot.

Last week I attended national open in Compak – was bit sick (had to carry some beer around the night before) and scored 70/100 on rather tough course in awful rainy weather – high gun took 91/100. I was bit disappointed at first – should score over 80, but I feel alright now looking back).

I took some additional time into testing chokes (gun came with 5 flush invector + ones).

Although I gave ¼ one a healthy dose of opportunity, I wasn’t impressed – paper patterns at 30m + with different ammo and edge on birds kills that were over 30m out were not convincing, so I ended up with ½ U and ¾ O chokes that will remain there for the time being on all disciplines. Factory chokes are fine – still wonder how 3/8 and 5/8 would perform.?

Top lever was a bit sticky first but a smith fixed it in no time. Stock that felt a bit on the long side and has a substantial drop worried me at first but actually sits very nice. Plastic butt is surprisingly acceptable – I was used to ISIS green pad on my Ultra, but I shot complete 100 bird course with MK70 using Hull Parcours and Cheddite Mach 3 without any ill side effects.

mk70.jpg

Thank you Phil - yes that wood (along with the knowledge of this forum) played the role on my decision to get it. I am quite amazed at the quality level...plus  I believe it is a solid platform to develop my shooting skills further on.
I might get extended Teague's in 3/8 and 8/5 next -  is it worth?

mk70-det2.jpg

Mine came with the extended Teague's,  and I have no complaints with them. I'm not sure that you would tell the difference between the extended Teague chokes and the OEM flush fit ones though, but if you want them, they are quality.

Just to give you idea - here is a target at 40m shot with 1/4 choke...to put it on sporting course - when shooting at fast going out clay that is edge on, one is hard pressed not to imagine before the shot is taken that clay has 50% it will come out untouched despite the shot was spot on...target was set at lasered 40m (43 yards) and shot with 3 different loads - results ranging from 30-33%...

2015-06-08 20.15.20.jpg

Anyway - I have already ordered Teague extended chokes in 3/8 and 5/8 constrictions :smile:

Got the Teagues and here is what 3/8 says with Hull Parcour #7 on 40m (43 yds)...

2015-06-18 07.27.59.jpg

Back