Missing Behind.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a fair point my friend we should really keep our trappy jokes in the trap forum so as not to confuse new shooters. Not sure how serious your comment was but point taken.
That's a very valid view Ian. ;)

No it didnt come across like that at all my friend your point was valid and taken onboard in the same gentlemanly manner it was offered.

We should refrain from such comments on a post requesting genuine assistance such as this one.

My apologies for hijacking the thread with needless fluffy rabbits

As Westward says, in Sporting leeed is very perceivable on long targets. I used to caddy at EJC a while back and taking anybody who had done rifle shooting was far worse than somebody who had never shot a thing. It's not just leeed it's the whole preparation thing. Forget it ASAP!

All beginners have similar issues with not wanting to shoot at fresh air ahead of the target. They don't go far enough, then they stop the gun, missing miles behind. Then when they finally believe the leeed needed, they fail to build in line allowance, usually for the target dropping. It's all normal and the fun is in practicing until it becomes natural. A critical bit of advice it to ensure that you have a consistent repeatable gun swing speed, or the successful leeed picture will vary, because the shot leaves the gun after your brain says 'fire'.

Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all very well for these skeetboarders and tarpies to joke around and confuse everyone, but us hedge monkeys have to shoot real targets with real lead.
:.: :.: :.: This needs to be made into a Sticky.

I have always read up copiously (is that right?) on every hobby I've undertaken, radio controlled, ferreting, pigeon shooting, clays, etc, etc. Unfortunately with shooting all the old books said everyone misses behind and below :???: , so I spent the first couple of years missing in front and high. :.:

In my humble experience the old books had it wrong, modern shooters at any rate, are just as likely to miss in front as anywhere, more so if anything in my miss viewing hobby.

Lead perception is a very personal thing, if you maintain lead at the same speed as the bird then it can look huge, if your barrels are moving faster than the target then obviously this can diminish, and if slashing through at a rate of knots then lead can look pretty miniscule. Presumably you can shoot with such gun speed that it may even look as though you're shooting behind them :D .

Fresh newbies yes I agree but too often I watch relative new comers as well as older hands miss wildly in front. They know and have read how you must give forward allowance to moving targets and often think they must be missing behind.

Agreed. It goes: Behind, then wild lash with no attention to line, followed eventually by more careful correct shot. A generalisation but true for most..

After shooting clays for 11years it still amazes me just how much lead some targets require.i pull the trigger thinking there is no way that clay is going to get to the spot at the same time as the shot cloud.thats why i normally miss behind i guess.

chippy

Most of my misses are all of the above and some .

At skeet peg 3-4 would you say two foot is a good starting point?

Station 4 is more like 4 feet. But this depends on what you actually see, your gun speed, kill point and feet position.

Could be a fingers width at the end of the barrel?

Most of my misses are due to the wrong choke.
Most of my Mrs don't know about each other, but two of them shop together....

Yeah, 3 to 4 feet is the actual lead mate. And if you take it early, Low 5 is the longest shot on the field...so drag that over to your side and shoot it where you would shoot it on a double (for when you shoot Skeet doubles)!

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/14990335/Bender-Skeet-Cheat-Sheet-Shooting-the-Stations-Tgts-Hold

14990335.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Foot position should be the same on every target whether it's Skeet , DTL, Sporting or anything else. Identify the kill point and stand accordingly.

Latest posts

Back