Licensing fees to increase?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I retract the above as humour is no longer allowed, apparently.

I think it's pretty safe to say that £50 doesn't anywhere near cover the costs of processing the form, conducting a site visit, travelling expenses for said visit and then processing the certificate, then all the variations and notifications that need processing during the five years.

There are plenty of people run businesses on here, think what standard of labour you supply and at how much per hour. You''ll soon see it doesn't add up.

The fee shouldn't subsidise other areas of the police force though, or be a method of pursecuting the sport, it should just represent the actual cost of work involved.
nor does it cover the cost of employing Firearms licensing dept and their support staff.... I really can't see how it subsidises any other areas of policing and I would be very surprised if the income from SGCFACs comes anywhere close to covering costs....

Like I said before, I reckon we've had it too good for too long.

I don't mind the increase but there seems to be a few missed points ,1 your council tax pays for the Police so you donating anyway, 2 there is no real requirement for a home inspection for the issue of a SGC as your history should you have one will be on the central police computer , the security inspection could be carried out by a registered competent person and checked at random by a  passing police  officer , the system we have now is a manual system with an antediluvian piece of paper where I for one look  the same colour of a humpa lumpa .

why not a plastic card and a gun record form rather like your driving licence , Renew on line if in the five years you have not broken the conditions of holding a firearm why go through ridicules process? use a system the  same as a car licence when you get to pay for the new one you didn't really want in the first place . 

In short modernise the system , reduce the police involvement they don't licence car drivers  they police the  system  . 

Last edited by a moderator:
nor does it cover the cost of employing Firearms licensing dept and their support staff.... I really can't see how it subsidises any other areas of policing and I would be very surprised if the income from SGCFACs comes anywhere close to covering costs....

Like I said before, I reckon we've had it too good for too long.
Nick, it doesn't.  And that is the point - neither should it.  If the powers that be get their own way it may well.

I suppose many authorities are capable of running it after all apart from checking your cabinet is not just glued onto the wall it is effectively just a data base.
Trained monkeys could do that......where do we apply Ian?

G4S! The words bargepole, trust and tax-payer-rip-off spring to mind immediately.

They got away with more than 24million just recently.

They'll be issuing sgc's to convicts released early inadvertently and locking up legal firearms licensees if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back