Licensing fees to increase?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit, I was apprehensive about the clay shooting scene and costs thereof when I returned back here. I know resisting cost increases is difficult, but then,, at 40quid a year, it is less than a fishing licence,or a sunday paper, or a pint ,,per week!,, it's damned cheap in fact,,, but NOT a good excuse to ad-hoc increase fees to fund what appears to be nothing related to shotgun sports,,i agree that police have a lot of firearms related 'stuff' to contend with,,, but  I wonder if this is from Brussels and the un? THEY have been chasing the arse of legal gun ownership for years,

I do stand to be corrected of course,,

If this is a realistic fee for the process involved it is fair but must be justified openly , if it a tax on legitimate shooters to finance policing 'gun crime' that is a whole different thing , I think we have to accept our chosen sport carries a whole lot of responsibility others do not and for that we will always have to suffer restrictions..although not currently a member of any organisations I would utterly support there actions if they are aimed at making the police clarify exactly what we are paying for, I also was led to believe the whole process of gaining a certificate was going to be hugely refined regards electronic red tape.

Admittedly I don't know the 'big picture'

Also a jump that large in fee is easily explained by the length of time it was too cheap...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just clarify that's not the point i'm making.... but I do think shooters should cover the true cost of their licence fee.  It shouldn't be anybody else's responsibility. 

But even if the cost did go to the price that's being suggested, over five years, per year its still less than 250 cartridges!   I can't see anyone would have to give up a hobby based on that calculation, surely?
I said it was another nail in the coffin Ema, which it undoubtedly would be for some.

Along with the ever increasing cost of cartridges, entries, fuel costs, etc etc, even a relatively small (for some) increase, will have an effect on the amount they shoot or might be the deciding factor if they carry on at all.

There's an awful lot of nonsense born of ignorance and a lack of knowledge being posted here.

Why should we have to shoulder the burden of the policing of unlicensed gun ownership - the criminal element for which we are in no way responsible making it necessary to spend millions to try and discover those arms being imported illegally, police activities devoted to trying to prosecute and confiscate unlicensed and illegal guns.

The absolute majority of gun crime stems from unlicensed guns imported illegally and we should not have to bear any of that cost! 
I understand they'll be taxing Doctors for the drug dependency problem, and Lewis Hamilton & Co for pot holes in our roads next.

Well ......I tried......like I did last time......

qp07kx.jpg

Roll over to easy and you will keep on rolling atb

My two penneth for what it's worth -

Nic & Co are right on this - a modest increase in the licence fee is justifiable.  There are expenses involved, from the admin time to medical reports and the FEOs time, but these should be applied on a cost basis, for the time taken to actually do the job of administering your/our certificate.  

What we should not have to bear/contribute towards (other than the contributions we make in our taxes anyway) are ALL the other gun related issues that the powers that be want to include  ie gun crime and the associated policing costs. Virtually no gun crime is committed with lawfully held firearms.  Increasing our fees will not remove unlawful guns from society, and neither should we as a group have to bear the cost of doing so any more than any other group in society.

So, a reasonable and justifiable increase? Yes, so long as it is just that.  If they can show that it actually costs £196 in time and medical fees etc to produce a certificate then fine. But only then.

My two penneth for what it's worth -

Nic & Co are right on this - a modest increase in the licence fee is justifiable.  There are expenses involved, from the admin time to medical reports and the FEOs time, but these should be applied on a cost basis, for the time taken to actually do the job of administering your/our certificate.  

What we should not have to bear/contribute towards (other than the contributions we make in our taxes anyway) are ALL the other gun related issues that the powers that be want to include  ie gun crime and the associated policing costs. Virtually no gun crime is committed with lawfully held firearms.  Increasing our fees will not remove unlawful guns from society, and neither should we as a group have to bear the cost of doing so any more than any other group in society.

So, a reasonable and justifiable increase? Yes, so long as it is just that.  If they can show that it actually costs £196 in time and medical fees etc to produce a certificate then fine. But only then.
Nicely summed up. 

Thing is its not just the FEO's time &etc to deal with your particular FAC/SGC its the whole cost of maintaining the office/admin side throughout the year so I'm not sure that the figure they quote is that far out, I suppose it also depends on how many FAC/SGC/explosives licence holders there are in a particular area as to what the overall split cost is. Maybe a rebate/discount for pensioners would be a good idea.

Agree that the FAC/SGC should ONLY be to cover the cost of administering those and not a stealth tax to help pay for other police work. I'm not even sure that gun licensing should even come under the police remit.

Good last point after all the HSE are responsible for over seeing explosives !

Good last point after all the HSE are responsible for over seeing explosives !
Ian that is a good point, I never thought of that. Lets face it the police do not issue driving licences or mot's, nor do they conduct the driving tests. So maybe the police are not actually the right people to be doing the job!

I suppose many authorities are capable of running it after all apart from checking your cabinet is not just glued onto the wall it is effectively just a data base.

I think it's pretty safe to say that £50 doesn't anywhere near cover the costs of processing the form, conducting a site visit, travelling expenses for said visit and then processing the certificate, then all the variations and notifications that need processing during the five years.

There are plenty of people run businesses on here, think what standard of labour you supply and at how much per hour. You''ll soon see it doesn't add up.

The fee shouldn't subsidise other areas of the police force though, or be a method of pursecuting the sport, it should just represent the actual cost of work involved.

There's an awful lot of nonsense born of ignorance and a lack of knowledge being posted here.
Still no explanation?

For a long time I was a moderator on another forum, and I would never accuse anyone of talking nonsense without giving my reasons.

That comment was bordering on being insulting to many members, although we won't know whom until the explanation finally arrives.

Ian that is a good point, I never thought of that. Lets face it the police do not issue driving licences or mot's, nor do they conduct the driving tests. So maybe the police are not actually the right people to be doing the job!
I have often thought this, but I'm afraid to admit it as it appears there's an enough nonsense born of ignorance and a lack of knowledge being posted here  :spiteful:  

Finners

have no fear les and I have the "talking nonsense" thing covered,,,,,, apparently.

Latest posts

Back