Left Handed Guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lm mearly suggesting a gun that fits you correctly, will achieve better results than a compromise, but as you say "this is not a given" each to there own!
lefties shoot well with a rightie despite of not because of. ...end of.

I must have tried 6 or 7 different left handed guns in different makes and models with Keith (westley) and not one of them came close. It felt like I was looking over and to the right of the guns. As soon as I picked up a right handed browning gun it fitted almost spot on. Then I tried the miroku and this one was perfect. I had Keith up the wall but even he agreed the miroku was the best choice. I am glad Keith was there as I would have automatically thought the left handed gun was right for me and thought I was doing something wrong.

I must have tried 6 or 7 different left handed guns in different makes and models with Keith (westley) and not one of them came close. It felt like I was looking over and to the right of the guns. As soon as I picked up a right handed browning gun it fitted almost spot on. Then I tried the miroku and this one was perfect. I had Keith up the wall but even he agreed the miroku was the best choice. I am glad Keith was there as I would have automatically thought the left handed gun was right for me and thought I was doing something wrong.

Miroku :angel: what a surprise 

No I am Mr Miroku :wink:
That is WHY you need them specs   !       Spose yer will be calling ips "glasshopper" next too !     B)

Your too kind Sir,  mind you I am going for a haircut tomorrow, he is just cutting out the GREY ones     :lol:

32 minutes ago, Holianl said:

I have heard you are quite the miroku man yourself balltrap.

No I am Mr Miroku 

I think that this could be contested ?

That is WHY you need them specs   !       Spose yer will be calling ips "glasshopper" next too !     B)

Your too kind Sir,  mind you I am going for a haircut tomorrow, he is just cutting out the GREY ones     :lol:

You going bald again :lol:

IPS is not worthy of being called a hedge monkey is he  :lol:

32 minutes ago, Holianl said:

I have heard you are quite the miroku man yourself balltrap.

No I am Mr Miroku 

I think that this could be contested ?

:angel: Try it :lol:

It really is surprising to some how gunfit parameters can vary so much.

For many years I shot straight stocked off the shelf guns .

Although my current guns are dedicated left handers with a fair amount of 'cast on' I am continually surprised at how many R/handers shoot my gus very well and profess to liking the fit. A friend , a very , very good shot whilst being R/H actually buys and sets his guns up left handed.

your sincerely ,

Mr Miroku 

NO,  he is still sitting ON the hedge, trying to decide which way to fall  ?
nope, I am game and simulated driven these days,that and working the dog are my only interests ?

I'm a lefty. 

I originally shot with a RH Beretta 687 SPIII.  I now have a LH Browning 725 Sport.  The browning feels much more natural to shoulder.  I had no issues with the Beretta when originally using it but probably just didn't know any better.  I think that you just compensate for it without thinking about it.  Interestingly, when I bought the Browning I tried several LH guns in the shop and as I mounted the first one the guy in the shop instantly knew that I had been shooting a RH gun based on how I shouldered it.  Having now had the Browning for a while it feels far more natural.  When you compare the two guns it is not just the cast that is different.  The shape of the stock is also different.  This could just be because they are from different manufacturers, I am not expert enough to know.

The problem is finding a dealer with a good enough selection of LH guns to try.  Although I live in Hampshire I eventually ended up at Premier Guns at Doveridge.      

Many LH shooters have told me that they shoot with a RH gun with no problems.  For what it is worth, my opinion is that if you are a lefty buy a LH gun.   

well said and well written. If you try half a dozen LH and then shoulder a RH that feels better then surely all that tells you is that none of the half dozen LH ones fitted, it doesn't mean that a RH is better. ?

I've shot both and reckon if you're a beginner you're better off deciding which shoulder you're going to shoot off and getting a gun that suits that. What I mean is that if you're left handed, it doesn't necessarily follow that you'll be best shooting left handed. Some left handed people starting out, are strongly right master eyed. If that's the case, they would be sensible to think seriously about shooting right handed. 
I completely agree with this - I am left-handed, but have a dominant right eye. At my first clay lesson at the National Clay Centre, the instructor tried me with a left-hand stance: awful - felt uncomfortable and couldn't break a thing. He switched me to my right side, and suddenly everything felt more comfortable, and I started hitting clays. I have shot right-handed since. Left-handers do seem to be able to switch hands, depending on the activity (stop it - I know what you're thinking).

I think eye dominance is the key here, as Finners says.

Back