Leaf or Coil springs

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro's and Con's
Any real advantage in either ??
Yes, a gun will still operate with a broken coil spring. Although in almost 60 years of shooting, I have never known a coil spring break. However I have known of several V springs that broke. As to their use, I have both coil and V springs in the various guns that I own, I can not positively say that one is better than the other. I do use snap caps to release the pressure on the V springs, during storage.

I agree with Westley, I too have a mixture of guns some with leaf some with coil and I don’t really notice the difference when shooting. Leaf springs are supposed to give better trigger pulls and one did go on my Perazzi after many thousands of shots - easy to replace though. Never had one go on a DT10 though and when you compare the two springs you see why - the DT10 is much sturdier.

With modern guns not a lot of difference but older sxs probably 👍
I have a S x S which I consider old.......well, it gets its telegram from the King in 2 years time, the other S x S is a youngster at 55 years old, both have double triggers and V springs. The other 5 guns have coil springs and I can honestly say, I don't notice any difference in the performance of the triggers on any of them. Yes, their handling characteristics are a mile apart, but not the triggers. They are all 3 1/2 to 4lbs pull weight. The only one I do notice as being a bit 'draggy' is my Beretta 303 auto, but I live with it.

When I ran a shooting ground, I got asked pretty much weekly to 'try' a gun and give my opinion on it. As a result of that, I think I have shot just about every make and model of gun that exists. From Baikals to Boss and most things in between. The only ones that gave me a problem were the 'exceptionally heavy' trigger weights on some of the cheaper guns. There was a Baikal with a trigger that weighed around 10lbs. that I just could not shoot. I kept looking at the safety catch, thinking it was 'on'. Trigger pull weights can be something that often get overlooked but a correctly adjusted pull weight is a joy to use.

I had perazzi with detachable triggers and leaf springs, I don't know if l imagined it but those were the best trigger pulls l have ever had before or after!

I had perazzi with detachable triggers and leaf springs, I don't know if l imagined it but those were the best trigger pulls l have ever had before or after!
Leaf springs are meant to give crisper pulls and faster lock times due to them being more powerful and the way they deliver it. Does it make a difference to.your scores? IMO, As long as the pulls are consistent and not too heavy. No

Yes, a gun will still operate with a broken coil spring. Although in almost 60 years of shooting, I have never known a coil spring break. However I have known of several V springs that broke. As to their use, I have both coil and V springs in the various guns that I own, I can not positively say that one is better than the other. I do use snap caps to release the pressure on the V springs, during storage.
Only v spring I ever had break was in a reproduction black powder gun. Replaced it with a 120 year ol NOS part and it was, and still is good.
If the manufacturers know how to make them,or it’s a vintage gun I wouldn’t favour one over the other same as you.
We are on a shotgun forum and not benchrest forum right?

Back