Lead Shot Campaign

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Show your support

http://leadshotcampaign.org.uk/?page_id=67  

Joint statement on compliance with the law on the use of non-lead ammunition

The use of lead shot over all foreshore, specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest, and for the shooting of all ducks and geese, coot, and moorhen, wherever they occur, has been illegal in England since November 1999. The Welsh Assembly imposed restrictions on lead shot, based closely on the English approach, in September 2002. Scottish legislation differs from that in England and Wales in that since 2004 it has been illegal to use lead shot to shoot any species or target, including game and clays, over wetlands. Similar restrictions banning the use of lead shot over wetlands were introduced in Northern Ireland in September 2009.  In Scotland and Northern Ireland it is permissible to use lead shot to shoot any species outside wetlands.

All members of the shooting community are legally bound to comply with the lead shot regulations, and to ensure that only non-lead shot is used wherever lead shot is banned under those regulations. It is the responsibility of every individual gun to comply with the law, whoever the ultimate consumer will be, and to make certain that lead shot is not used illegally. Its improper use cannot be tolerated. Compliance with the current restrictions is critical if there is not to be a further restriction, or a complete ban, on the use of lead for shooting in the United Kingdom.

The organisations listed below jointly agree to make every effort to ensure compliance with the lead shot regulations in the United Kingdom. As joint signatories of the Code of Good Shooting Practice, they have already called for non-lead shot only to be used during any game or rough shooting that might otherwise result in spent lead shot being deposited into wetland areas used by feeding waterfowl.

Countryfile on BBC covered this last night with interviews with a duck farmer, Wildfowl associations and BASC. The conclusion that appeared to be drawn was that shooters are not complying with the law with regard to lead shot on wetlands and that the government is awaiting the results of the Lead Ammunition Group inquiry expected later this year.

And so it starts... looks like another march will need to be organised through London

No, nobody's bothered until it is banned. What good will a march do? Hunting with dogs is still banned. So Lead will inevitably follow.

No, nobody's bothered until it is banned. What good will a march do? Hunting with dogs is still banned. So Lead will inevitably follow.
Well apathy isn't the answer, a strategic coordinated approach by CPSA, BASC, RSPCA, BICTSF and the AA should ensure a lead ban does not get passed at any stage. Where do I sign up?

Maddmatt,

Try going over to Pigeonwatch and joining forces with Ian Summerill ( Gunsmoke).

He has campaigned for over 20 years and is passionate about Leadshot and the inefficiency of alternatives.

I will give it ten years and we will all be on steel shot!

Not sure steel is the answer, although by then someone will find a good alternative, right now there isn't a big enough incentive for anyone to put the research in.

Not sure steel is the answer, although by then someone will find a good alternative, right now there isn't a big enough incentive for anyone to put the research in.
May not be the answer but I reckon it will happen! Many years ago they experimented with bismuth shot but I think proved too costly or something.

This is very interesting topic for myself. This forum is a clayshooter's forum and it is rather strange seeing some comments that are made from people who have only just become aware of the non-toxic shot issue. This impending ban has been looming over our heads for over ten years, some people have actually made a good living out of writing about it and becoming involved with the research or debate about it. Guess what? We are not very far down the road with a solution. There is a product called T shot which has been around for possibly twenty years, which is basically Lead shot coated in a polymer coating ( plastic) which would actually overcome many of the issues. It's a one man's invention, but for various untold reasons has not been embraced by the cartridge trade. If cartridge prices continue to go up it will be cheaper to shoot Gold and then the toxicity issue will be solved.

As a newbie I have only just became aware of this issue, ballistics wise, can someone explain the pros and cons between Lead and Steel shot?
Basically lead is softer and heavier than steel. So a size 7 shot of lead will weigh more than a size 7 of steel.  Steel can damage gun barrels unless they are made of the correct type of steel, you would also need to use longer shells to be able to shoot the same weight of steel shot. I guess we will all end up having to shoot guns with steel proof tubes and they will probably need at least three inch chambers too!

I have noticed that some shooting grounds, do not allow steel shot. I think A1SG may be one, but not sure.(getting old,and cant remember where I saw the signs)

What happens then? No lead, no steel. 

I think Plutonium is quite heavy, and soft

I have noticed that some shooting grounds, do not allow steel shot. I think A1SG may be one, but not sure.(getting old,and cant remember where I saw the signs)
What happens then? No lead, no steel. 

I think Plutonium is quite heavy, and soft
Really...now What is the objection to Steel ? I know why some object to lead...but Steel ?

Back