Lead or Steel?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblaster

Hi all, has anyone tried steel shot for clays? What size shot is best, considering the lack of impact steel has over lead?

I've used it at an indoor place where only steel was allowed, and we had to use the provided 24g cartridges. I'm not a good enough shot to give you a detailed review, but I know I saw more clays wobble but not break than normal. The unconscious adjustment seemed to be to try shooting the things closer in (earlier or later depending on the presentation), but that's probably the novice speaking...

Sent from my mobile wiv fumbs

I have just come back from the Dutch Grand Prix at Dorhout Mees, Where lead shot is banned and everyone uses Steel,  I used a mixture of

Gamebore Supersteel, 7.5

Gamebore White Gold 9's

Gamebore Black Gold 7's

Eley VIP 7's

These were breaking clays at a good distance (FITASC targets), through 1/2 choke, many of the dutch I spoke to, were shooting tighter chokes, and they have never had an issue!

if your ground allows you to use steel and they are better for your budget, then go for it! :)

No steel through Mrs P......just saying :wink:

Would not shoot it on principle as it is the best way to see lead ended forever....true story :wink:

Hi all, has anyone tried steel shot for clays? What size shot is best, considering the lack of impact steel has over lead?
It's ok for sporting, go up a size though.

It is the best for Skeet, in 9's, as you get 30% more pellets. I have shot thousands of steel carts at Skeet.

I stick to lead for sporting.

I think we have done this issue to death. Some "like" soft iron, the definite majority hate the bloody stuff. I am a dedicated lead man, stuff the soft iron rubbish.

Angel.

steel is sh*te end of .  try it on a 45 yard crosser  going like hot snot ,   it rebounds like rubber  total sh*te ,   plus the fact if we waiver  the powers that be will ban lead , if they can produce a cartridge with steel  equal  to lead performance  I would use it .   

steel is sh*te end of .  try it on a 45 yard crosser  going like hot snot ,   it rebounds like rubber  total sh*te ,   plus the fact if we waiver  the powers that be will ban lead , if they can produce a cartridge with steel  equal  to lead performance  I would use it .
Tried it on. 45 yard crosser, nothing wrong with it, steel is not sh*t, ask all the Dutch people who ACTUALLY shoot steel

steel is sh*te end of . try it on a 45 yard crosser going like hot snot , it rebounds like rubber total sh*te...
If you ACTUALLY hit a 45 yd crosser with steel 7's it will break unless you are shooting at concrete clays!!!

I know this has been said before on here but I wouldn't use 'steel' in someone else's gun never mind my own. Not a chance.

Sadly for those that appreciate the choice many grounds have banned it. Grounds have an insurance obligation to minimise risk and with the very real possibility of ricochet injuries many have said no. You can't blame them really.

Anyway, as others have said, this topic has been discussed in nauseating detail in the past. Let's not do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then chaps bring your steel cartridges to Orston Shooting Ground and then tell me they are good for sporting

Would like to see the big boys shooting them

Orston is even too tough for the best

Let's get all the big boys there on the same day

John Lee,Dave Carrie ,Nick Hendrick,Mark Windsor,Sean Bramly don't have a problem with it but I would like to see big George ,Gebben Miles,Richard Faulds ,And Ben Huthwait have around.

Deershooter

Deershooter

Steel should be banned!!! And unless your forced to use why even consider using it, I'm with TB in this one using it is showing support for it's use and helping an enforced lead ban, I feel very strongly on this one

Personally I could not give a sh*t what the big boys ...or the small boys...or the medium boys (whoever they all are) shoot through their guns....

I am not led like a sheep by what others do or by a few quid off the cartridges (for now..!!)....

I am an intelligent human being who can read and research any subject that I am interested in. I can read and evaluate all the pros and cons from the experts...I can see through the fog of advertising bull sh*t.....and after all that time and effort ...over many months.....I can make up my own informed mind on a subject.

Ain't no steel sh*te going anywhere near my Perazzis......end of story :laugh:

Sorry this subject has been "done to death," but I'm new round here! As usual I will try it, appraise it, and make my decision. Thanks for all the interesting opinions, very useful.

Back