Laser simulated ranges

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoR

If the facility was available easily would anyone consider using this type of setup? I'm thinking professional set up with analysis and feedback to the shooter using your own gun? Indoors?

www.proshock.co.uk

There's a similar thing in golf, if there was a one within reasonable travelling distance then yes I would but I suspect that to be commercially viable it would have to be near large population centres which rules me out.

Limited benefit imo, nothing can beat shooting real shells at real clays

+1, playing with gadgets is all very good but personally I find you only get that adrenalin rush and sense of achievement when it's the real thing

Yes. Assuming it is a proper simulator akin to the Dryfire system, it's an invaluable aid to training.

I'm lucky enough to have a Dryfire system at home and have found it has brought my shooting on no end. The systems are smart enough to know the lead required for the target and precisely where you shot it so it can tell you your pointing errors down to the nearest centimetre. You can fit the device to your own gun so it can be used not only with a familiar gun but can be used as an aid to gun fitting. I find the ability to design your own targets is useful so you can simulate those targets you struggled with last time out in the real world.

Whilst there is no doubting that it is not as exciting as the real thing, it is not supposed to be an entertainment system, it is teaching/training system.

I have used my system for about a year now and have found that my scores on the Dryfire correlate very well with my practice scores shot on the range.

I would say that the setup costs, whilst high enough to limit the amount of personal ownership, would not be at all prohibitive for a commercial venture and of course it is much cheaper for the user as you don't have to pay for clays or cartridges. It's also nice when it's freezing cold or p***ing down!

I should add that this is not an advert for Dryfire, I just happen to be a satisfied customer. There is a similar system that comes from somewhere in scandinavia that is supposed to be very good too.

Of course it can't replace live fire but I'm thinking of the days when the steep, precipitous, rutted road with 3 hairpins leading to my local ground is covered ice and the weather is persisting down or the days are short and other commitments mean I can't get to train except in the evening. I have been looking longingly at the dryfire systems but at the moment there's too many other calls on my cash.

I plan on buying the Dryfire system for training as soon as I clear enough space to use it effectively , being able to head out to the shed for half an hour or so anytime I want and using the system for its intended purpose appeals hugely , however I would only use it commercially if I couldn't actually shoot real clays for whatever reason ....IE I live in Scotland and no where is lit after hours.

Lots of good points, I have been practicing a lot recently and benefitted from some coaching on bogey targets but when I analyse the cost it was substantial, if I had access to this type of facility it could well have benefited me as I would be shooting sim targets without the fatigue and expense even in the evening? Good point matt nothing could beat shooting real clays but as a training aid why not!

www.proshock.co.uk

Yes lets all do simulated shooting and ban guns!

Last edited by a moderator:
Being as similar systems have been used for Military and Police training for years it would be a tad naive to discount them out of hand.

However I can see a certain demographic on here would be against them...;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Airline pilots are trained on simulators these days. Simulation is the de facto standard for training in a lot of professional situations

I don't see how people can write off simulation systems out-of-hand. If they are good simulations then as a training aid this has got to be the way to do things. Indoors, no distractions, no weather, stop the action and display EXACTLY where you missed a clay and more to the point it doesn't cost 50p every time you pull the trigger.

Would I use one? You betcha. Although I have not tried any of the systems out there yet I have already looked at pricing them up.

How much would I pay to use one? Unsupervised perhaps £20 for a session? Even used only once per day the capital investment could be paid back in a surprisingly short time.

Is the simulation good enough to bring on my shooting?

I'd certainly be interested in knowing what Salopian had to say.

"Real" simulators include all the dynamics of the experience.  I suspect that is not the case with any available shooter. 

Can the targets be configured to have particular faces on them - I could suggest a couple

I think I'll stick with Ultimate DOOM for my response honing.

Charlie

I'm very unconvinced as to their usefulness personally.
You really need to try one to make a judgement. The benefits I have found are that they give you a good idea of the lead requirements for each target, they allow you to practice pull through, pull away and maintained lead and tell you exactly where you placed your shot. They can tell you if you have gun fit issues in that they can pinpoint if you are consistently out in any one direction. They can help you develop a consistent gun mount.

Of course they are not perfect but the benefit of being able to try things without spending 50p for every shot and not knowing how far you missed by are IMO invaluable for those of us trying to improve. Also the ability to use one at any time of the day or night and in any weather is also a bonus. A quick 10 minutes on the simulator can be fitted in much easier than a couple of hours at the range.

Latest posts

Back