laminated stocks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

Just been looking at various laminated rifle stocks the very pretty multi coloured type and wondered why they have never really been made for shotguns or if they have then not to my knowledge is there a particular reason why not? apologies if this subject has been covered before... :blind:

Just been looking at various laminated rifle stocks the very pretty multi coloured type and wondered why they have never really been made for shotguns or if they have then not to my knowledge is there a particular reason why not? apologies if this subject has been covered before... :blind:
Huge missed sales opportunity if you ask me, someone needs to start selling laminated stocks for different models off the shelf like they do in America, I'd buy them. :)  I had one made for a semi a few years ago. 8)

two that I know are browning did a ltd ed citori

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail-historic.asp?fid=008B&cid=013&tid=386

three of these got imported to the uk all three belong to the same guy.

and Winchester now do a select ltd ed

http://www.winchesterint.com/winchester/products/mresult.php?group1=4&group2=0&submod=A-WSELGL

I have the Winchester above 10 got imported to the uk hope this helps

Only one reason I can think of for not having many in the UK is that thay are much more difficult to bend in the way a walnut stock can be bent for cast or drop etc.

In time I'm sure they will catch on, particularly if they are custom made or adjustable. Conservative bunch us Brits?  :biggrin:

Only one reason I can think of for not having many in the UK is that thay are much more difficult to bend in the way a walnut stock can be bent for cast or drop etc.

In time I'm sure they will catch on, particularly if they are custom made or adjustable. Conservative bunch us Brits?  :biggrin:
the one I have is adjustable comb in both directions the early browning citori was not but im sure could be converted if required

the one I have is adjustable comb in both directions the early browning citori was not but im sure could be converted if required
Got to say I love the look of that Citori with the Nickel Barrels and Laminated Stock. Must remind me of my old S&W 686.

Don't know why, I'm normally the most conservative, traditionalist going but it just looks great! (Maybe not for a game day though??)  :biggrin:

Er....my 686 Onyx has a laminated stock, it looks very effective and has fooled a few people, I am not that fussed for it to be honest, but it is a great comfortable gun, someone has offered to strip it all back to the natural walnut underneath that I am considering as I don't want to change a great gun just for the sake of the look of the stock.
post-1736-0-73942500-1384205204.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Not all laminates are equal MidnightMinstrel. Your stock is one that is covered with, effectively, a photograph of figured walnut. Underneath is probably the most bland piece of beechwood or similar (Think PRS SE not USA or Epiphone LP not USA R9 LP).

The other laminated stocks shown through this thread are made up of full layers of timber (like posh plywood). :biggrin:

Not all laminates are equal MidnightMinstrel. Your stock is one that is covered with, effectively, a photograph of figured walnut. Underneath is probably the most bland piece of beechwood or similar (Think PRS SE not USA or Epiphone LP not USA R9 LP).

The other laminated stocks shown through this thread are made up of full layers of timber (like posh plywood). :biggrin:
Hi TopdogYour right of course about it just being a sort of 'photo' laminate but ,I have been asured that it is over walnut, the guy who has offered to strip and oil mine says he has done several of these and says its actually a very nice piece of wood underneath them (he cant think why Beretta did this tbh, but they did ) and claims that I will be very pleasantly surprised when I see the end result. If hes confident, so am I . Going to have it done in January, I am glad about this, its a terrific gun and I want to keep it.

PS. Nice as the PRS SE is, it's still no match for Gibson LP standard with the P90's....it just doesn't match for tone......just thought i would throw that in, :laugh: ...but I did get the original analogy you were making. ( actually, I am an acoustic player ).

Last edited by a moderator:
PS. Nice as the PRS SE is, it's still no match for Gibson LP standard with the P90's....it just doesn't match for tone......just thought i would throw that in, :laugh: ...but I did get the original analogy you were making. ( actually, I am an acoustic player ).
If only you'd said. In that case think Stratabond necks on the Martin X series.  :biggrin:

Good luck with you Beretta though. Let us know how it turns out. I just can't help thinking why they would cover a decent piece of timber with an image of good timber. A collection 95 I knew about was stripped (The one with the multi-coloured paint job!) and it was various bits of cheap offcuts stuck together underneath. The owner had it re-painted!!!  :biggrin:

I was, maybe still am, interested in having a red/white/blue lam wood set for my pigeon gun.  So I had a well know company here, Wenig, cut one for me using a stock set that I sent them for a pattern.  They did such a total sh*te job, and refused to make  it good, that I effectively have some r/w/b firewood.  I have some pix somewhere and I could try to find them I suppose.

The proper made lam's are just monster strong if that's a necessary quality, but they certainly don't have anything remotely like a "traditional" look  unless silhouette rifles are the basis of your tradition.  But I do think they can look just way cool and I was not all that unhappy with how the r/w/b thing looked.  Now if it had just been done well enough ..........

JMO of course

Charlie

If only you'd said. In that case think Stratabond necks on the Martin X series.  :biggrin:
.. just wrong on so many levels :laugh: not a Martin fan tbh, the 16 GTR was a nice guitar, but its all gone a bit Tits up with them recently , I'll take a Pepsi test with my Gibson against any Martin made in the last 10 years anytime. :biggrin:

I'll keep you posted on the Beretta, it is strange what they did, but apprently thats what they decided to do, its supposed to make a grade one look like a grade 5...strangly enough it does, kind of work, to a point,,Its actually translutant so some of the wood underneath also shows through somewhat, mixing with the false extra grain look. I can only go on what he tells me if I'm honest, but he asures me its pretty decent underneath.

Latest posts

Back