Krieghoff Classic

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some good scores on the board including a100/300 ! How did you do ?

Some good scores on the board including a100/300 ! How did you do ?
Yeah some very good shooting yesterday! But luck of the draw helped some as all 4 of my layouts were outside and starting at 230 the early showers had turned into constant rain and the wind had got up! Which made for a very wet, cold and miserable afternoon; I managed a pathetic 92/262

I'm struggling to dry some of my kit out in my hotel! I really hope today is marginally dryer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck today and sun mate hope weather picks up.

Well was todays weather any better, anyone been towed off the field yet :)

Well was todays weather any better, anyone been towed off the field yet :)
Haha NO! The weather for me was marginally worse than yesterday! Weather hadn't been too bad until we stepped on the first layout and the heavens opened until everyone was duly soaked then lightened but continued for the next 2 hours. Again ended cold, wet and miserable and now struggling to dry all my clothes for tomorrow, but we only have one outside layout to shoot; so the sun is bound to be out!

A question to all the tarp shooters; how do you deal with different size tanks in DTL? I'm fairly new to this disciples but my reference points are based off the tank, all the local tanks in the southwest seem the same size, but mid wales tanks vary, most are lower and wider than what I'm use to and have struggled to sort my hold points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No easy answer mate, experience i spose and ability to adapt

Well I shot this on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and my overall impression is this shoot is very underwelming, there is just nothing to do once you have shot your 100 birds, this is very noticable on Friday waiting around for the lucky (unlucky as in you would have had to gone out again in the rain) numbers There is only so many times you can walk through the krieghoff tent and look at the same 16 guns or watch the stock and barrel guys at work. Although I did shoulder the trap special with the rollover comb, which fitted me a treat, just didn't have the enthusiam to want to try it out on the one practice stand, probably the weather played apart in this.

Friday and Saturday shot layouts E,F,G & H all outside and all of varying sized trap houses, height and width. Also some of the pegs you had to be very careful on where you stood as the front large slab was pointing down hill, so I stood on the smaller rear section which was level. Friday managed to avoid the rain as we shot at 10:15. Saturday I got soaked as it down poured at 10:15 and I could hardly see the clays.

Today I shot M,N, O & P Starting on P which was the very last layout up outside against the hedge and as we were the first squad the sheep were still standing around by the fence in front of us!  Luckly the sun was shining at 1000 this morning, the other layouts were undercover. Went on watched some fellow club members shooting around 1300 ish and the first layout were staring to look a ploughed field, shooter were even walking in front of the mikes to avoid the mud behind the pegs.

Had a brief chat to Jethro, as he was parked next to us in the field, he shot on Saturday and then drove to London for a gig on Sat night then drove back again!!

Well today was my best score a 90-257!!! the other two were worse!

Shame you didn't enjoy it Andy, i have shot it a few times in various weather conditions and always enjoyed it, one of the best if not the best dtl shoots on the calendar. Of course good weather always helps but that's trap. As for Different trap sizes, cant say i have ever noticed.

Ian, there is definately diffing height trap houses, on the Friday one of my squad members, an very expericence England shooter and fellow club member said to me on this layout use the fence instead of the top of the trap house as your marker, you know there is a difference.

I enjoyed the shooting, even if I did shoot badly and talking to other shooters but it just felt like it neded a bit more to be able do when at the ground.

Andy

i do agree with that i remember in the 80s there were many trade stands at the English open so your right something else would be a great benefit.

Shot all 4 days, had a great time.

Thursday, 96/280 for 4th in C. Shot 4 covered layouts.

Friday, my worst, 87/257. On a squad of 3, found it hard to keep a rhythm. Shot P layout (with the sheep) in the P***ing rain. Actually enjoyed it, got 24/72 which was my best that day. Defo took getting used to shooting directly over the brave/stupid sheep. 1 layout outside, 3 under cover.

Sat, 95/281, which put me into 6th in C. Pretty steady all day, couple of mistakes. Happy overall. Shot A-D layouts, all outside.

Today, shot 97/282, for 192/563 over the two days. I stayed 6th with that score. With prizes for top 10 in each class, I should pick up some prize money hopefully! Prizes are being sent out in the post next week.

Overall shot 1100/1200, 25 losses, 25 2nd barrels. Very happy with that.

C-class winner shot 198/586 (!), which would have won B and placed 6th in A. So well done to him...

Hadnt shot dtl outside before, I found it pretty nice tbh. The light is much better outside, and you can feel, for example, if the wind picks up at all. Shooting outside in the rain is uncomfortable for sure, but if you can keep your glasses dry, I dont think its that bad.

Some of the trap roofs were different sizes. On "D" layout, there was quite a wide roof, I dropped a target there when a fast right snuck out without me picking it properly (sort of like shooting abt on a trench layout). But that was the only one I really noticed. I shoot off the lip of the roof so different sizes trap roofs didnt have too much affect on me.

Layout "C" was very slow, and I dropped 7 or 8 points there on Saturday. I heard others say the same thing. But that was the trap itself I think, nothing to do with the roof.

Pity about all the rain, but still a great shoot. Great organisation, everything went smoothly. Defo going again next year!

Well Shot Rob ! Sounds like good experience. Soon be up at Bywell !! Nottingham next Sunday for me - where you heading ?

Thanks Norm, ya was fun. Pity about the weather, that was the only thing. Hopefully sunny for Bywell!

Have fun at Nott, Im going to go to Fauxdegla again, Welsh selection shoot so should be a good crowd. Might even shoot the 100 esp too if I get on an early squad for the dtl

Very glad to hear you enjoyed it rob, us old folk remember shooting dtl outside every week in all weather this shooting with covers is a fairly new thing for dtl, made softies out of many. Bywel remains old school, no covers on any and when it rains there it rains proper.

Ok

hands up all those who remember shooting dtl and or abt in a field stood on a 3x2 flag knee deep in snow with driving sleet in your face. All in the name of fun.

These newbies with there gortex and hand warmers and ponsy roofs don't know there born :)

Ok

hands up all those who remember shooting dtl and or abt in a field stood on a 3x2 flag knee deep in snow with driving sleet in your face. All in the name of fun.

These newbies with there gortex and hand warmers and ponsy roofs don't know there born :)
:agree:

I learned that it's much nicer only to get wet whilst pigeon or game shooting.  Trap shooting is much better under a cover, it means I and the gun don't get wet, unless I'm at NCSC where the covers were styled on those in Dubai the well known rain hotspot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok

We still have those days at NDGC! I remember a horrendous ABT last year. Snow blizzards blowing in the face, traps filling up with drifting snow as fast as we were clearing them. It always makes me amazed (and very thankful) how bonkers and committed to shooting you lot are :)

Totaly agree phil we have become softies :)

We knew no better int tholden days but now we are used to being snuggly under cover apart from bisley as you say, jolky nice looking parasol and ideal for a power shower if stood in the right place.

Totaly agree phil we have become softies :)

We knew no better int tholden days but now we are used to being snuggly under cover apart from bisley as you say, jolky nice looking parasol and ideal for a power shower if stood in the right place.
+1. Those brolly things at Bisley are rubbish! Back in the days of the original Bisley Gun Club, there were roofs made of corrugated tin sheet, but they had a few holes in so every so often you got a sudden cold drip of water straight down your neck, it was all part of the character of the place and they worked better than those new fangled brolly jobs!

Back